London moving again?

41 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t disagree in theory, but your example is not a good one. Parramatta crowds dropped drastically this year.

You're kidding aren't you? The season was marked by no crowds to 25% only capacity for most of this season. The Eels already are surging in membership for 2021 based on a normal season proceeding.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, M j M said:

Well no, because they were never tenants of Kingstonian and were owners of that ground when they played there.

They’d had to buy it from Kingstonian. It seems pulling grounds from under the feet of teams is as good for them as taking a team and uprooting it was for MK. The hypocrisy is incredible amongst that club. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They’d had to buy it from Kingstonian. It seems pulling grounds from under the feet of teams is as good for them as taking a team and uprooting it was for MK. The hypocrisy is incredible amongst that club. 

Here’s what happened. Largely out of fans’ pockets (and a 10% bank loan), AFCW bought Kingstonian’s ground off a property developer who’d taken it over after they went into administration.

In all probability, AFCW saved it from being turned into flats and K’s from folding.

K’s then played virtually rent-free for around 15 years, and AFCW allocated over £1m to set them up elsewhere when Chelsea didn’t want them.

I believe we have been fair to them. Others may disagree. 

38 minutes ago, M j M said:

This is definitely true.

They are, of course, still very poorly run with abysmal fan communication and a retail arm which frankly doesn't exist.

However a decade ago (just under to be fair) they were being run by Gus Mackay, mostly into the ground.

Goose Mackay, what a waster.

15 minutes ago, Heritage XIII said:

You're kidding aren't you? The season was marked by no crowds to 25% only capacity for most of this season. The Eels already are surging in membership for 2021 based on a normal season proceeding.

Exactly, 25% crowd sizes and sometime no crowds is an absolute travesty for a once proud club.

Yes. I was kidding ✈️ 🙄

We'll have to wait and see what the club has to say on this, although their communications are still for the most part lousy, and not helped by a certain loud mouthed commercial manager. And they probably won't answer these questions anyway, they seldom do. But my initial reaction is a mixture of plus ca change, and bemusement.

The club has spent the past 5 years telling us that Ealing is the perfect location, that we are laying down roots and are working hard to a long-term plan to reduce Dave Hughes' financing and at the same time re-build the club and the fanbase. Equally, that Trailfinders is perfect for us, in that it can grown and develop as the club does. That it provides a perfect home for every layer of the club, from scholarship to first team, training to matches. So, what's changed? Genuinely, what has materially changed?

Why are we looking to move to a completely different part of London (and only someone not native to the city would argue Ealing/Wimbledon are the same)? And a location that is more difficult to get to?

Sure, Plough Lane is brand new, but beyond that what justifies the upheaval? 

Is this just another rental? What happens 10 years down the line if Wimbledon don't want us anymore? Will we have to relocate for 6 weeks every summer, like we did in the past?

Ultimately, I guess, what is there about this deal that is so overwhelming that it makes the club want to do a complete about-face on everything it has said over the past 5 years? Because, on the face of it, I just don't get it. Despite the limitations of Trailfinders, I don't see what the enormous benefit is of moving to Wimbledon. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

22 minutes ago, M j M said:

A ticket to Super League perhaps?

My thoughts exactly, though if that is the case it’s odd that they’ve waited until so near the announcement to announce it. And also the ‘independent’ panel will have already have made their decision so what did they know. 

Theres no mention of this on the Broncos website yet. 

10 hours ago, DC77 said:

Interesting. Why?

I could give you a long, involved answer based on the 1980s team being a bunch of thugs that has been romanticised, the 1990s team being a particularly joyless strain of weirdness, and the 2000s onwards being interesting only because of the number of people with no real interest deciding that they, and only they, represent real football sticking it to The Man because of their unique (most aspects replicated in various forms by dozens of clubs) circumstances. Dullards.

But, really, it's because in 1983 I was at the end of my first year watching football and Bury just needed to win to get promotion. Instead, this happened.

I was so annoyed a stranger gave me some sweets and I don't think I've ever recovered.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

We'll have to wait and see what the club has to say on this, although their communications are still for the most part lousy, and not helped by a certain loud mouthed commercial manager. And they probably won't answer these questions anyway, they seldom do. But my initial reaction is a mixture of plus ca change, and bemusement.

The club has spent the past 5 years telling us that Ealing is the perfect location, that we are laying down roots and are working hard to a long-term plan to reduce Dave Hughes' financing and at the same time re-build the club and the fanbase. Equally, that Trailfinders is perfect for us, in that it can grown and develop as the club does. That it provides a perfect home for every layer of the club, from scholarship to first team, training to matches. So, what's changed? Genuinely, what has materially changed?

Why are we looking to move to a completely different part of London (and only someone not native to the city would argue Ealing/Wimbledon are the same)? And a location that is more difficult to get to?

Sure, Plough Lane is brand new, but beyond that what justifies the upheaval? 

Is this just another rental? What happens 10 years down the line if Wimbledon don't want us anymore? Will we have to relocate for 6 weeks every summer, like we did in the past?

Ultimately, I guess, what is there about this deal that is so overwhelming that it makes the club want to do a complete about-face on everything it has said over the past 5 years? Because, on the face of it, I just don't get it. Despite the limitations of Trailfinders, I don't see what the enormous benefit is of moving to Wimbledon. 

Pretty much all of this. Ealing and Brentford are close enough - Brentford being in the borough of Ealing after all - that you could count it as an upgrade because things aren't happening enough at Trailfinders.

Wimbledon is a move. It isn't anything other than the rental of a new ground in an odd location. It's a rare bit of London I know well to drive through owing to Little Ginger's two month stay at St George's. Public transports is "okay" but basically it's an absolute pig to get to from outside the area. Given the set-up, I'm really not sure how much 'community' we'd be able to do there given that we'll obviously be playing triangle at the back of Wimbledon FC's returning orchestra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, M j M said:

Like I said, we'll fit right in.

http://wupgb.co.uk/index.php

image.png

Interesting few comments there. I see Newport's pitch getting a mention. Worth pointing out that that's basically because Dave Parade is a bog and, despite promises, no one has ever been able to fix the drainage issues. It shouldn't happen on any modern pitch with proper maintenance.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wonder if a team will be set up in MK now, good rivalry. 

We've had that teased as a possible London move before now.

Just now, Henson Park Old Firm said:

They'll end up back at the Hive 

That's for after Plough Lane.

We'll be rediscovering our "Hertfordshire borders" roots.

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Public transports is "okay" but basically it's an absolute pig to get to from outside the area.

Really? I realise it’s subjective but for me it’ll be 12 mins train Waterloo to Earlsfield, turn left out the station and easy walk down Garrett Lane. 

Trailfinders is tube to Paddington, train to Ealing Broadway, bus to Vallis Way. 

Archived