London moving again?

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I've not got time to whine about the history of London Broncos.

No, but the reason they've moved so much and the Skolars haven't isn't simply down to the different statuses of the clubs. It's almost entirely down to the repeated failures of the Broncos each time they have moved.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tommygilf said:

So decent then? Thank you.

No. Lower than anyone else in the league at the time, didn't go up, and were then higher elsewhere. But, from the perspective of today, better than achieved on the return to Super League and better than we get as a Championship club.

We needed 5,000 average to break even at the time and were getting nearer 3,000.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf they got decent crowds at the Valley for a time.

As I see it, a 9k capacity Plough Lane sits where the Broncos currently need it to be. Small enough to maintain the intimacy and not be 90% empty, large enough to offer growth potential with excellent facilities at a range of price points. With the best will in the world you'd struggle to sell Trailfinders as a top class sporting fan experience, no wonder the Broncos are so quiet on it, and that is a major downside on top of general RL problems.

The location isn't fantastic, but beggars can't be choosers.

Toronto seemingly sold a “top class sporting fan experience”. Or at least, that’s what I’ve been told by people that managed to go. They did so in a pretty ordinary looking, cinder block “stadium” open to the elements.

Yes, I know they’ve been around for forty years compared to Toronto’s four but I suppose it comes down to the two clubs stances, which appears to differ, going by this move. Toronto attracted fans through incentives in free tickets but offered them more than just a sporting event, whereas it seems London are going down a different route. 

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

I really don't see why we're basing our planning on crowds jumping from 0.8-2k (dependent on division) to 5k in a matter of weeks. Have we had a crowd >4k since the Stoop? 

But, Archie, Wimbledon fans will be pouring in.

Because the seats are comfortable and you can get a nice pie.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Trailfinders is hardly a stadium, its a glorified training complex which is exactly what London can continue to use it as. They already do use it as that.

Indeed. Ealing rugby union club will make more out of weddings and parties at TfSC during the summer than renting the main pitch for games, so Broncos can do a reduced deal for training and youth access. 

Trailfinders is a pig to get to on Sundays and ultimately, how many regular fans have Broncos picked up from the Ealing area since the move? I'd have to say 500 at most. The rest (probably only another 500 regularly) come from all over London and the SE, so the move will be neutral/better for them. It's certainly better for anyone coming from South London or the southern counties like me! 

Of course, a move doesn't guarantee anything crowds wise, it's a whole load of other things that will determine that. But if the club is to survive as a full time team then it's got to make a play for a bigger fan base than it can ever sustain at TSC. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No, but the reason they've moved so much and the Skolars haven't isn't simply down to the different statuses of the clubs. It's almost entirely down to the repeated failures of the Broncos each time they have moved.

I was always under the impression that a number of the moves were due to money, with rent being increased to unaffordable levels, or because the Football club no longer wanted a tennant.

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

London Broncos have spent the last few years at Ealing telling people it’s the perfect site for them and how it’ll help them grow and how they can grow the site, which in some way they have with the addition of a stand behind the sticks. Whatever your opinion of the stadium, London seemed convinced this was the site. 

The move asks more questions than it answers. 

I don't see why they could have said anything different. They were screwed after relegation and needed a home and ET took them in. They're hardly going to spend 5 years saying "this is rubbish why are we here" are they? At least not publicly.

Equally I think the opportunity for growth at Ealing will be hitting a stumbling block as not only will their financier have been hammered by Covid, but the realisation that the Premiership won't let them in at Trailfinders might start to hit.

That all said, as a facility for the academy and scholarship sides, paid for by the hour, Ealing would be fantastic.

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Toronto seemingly sold a “top class sporting fan experience”. Or at least, that’s what I’ve been told by people that managed to go. They did so in a pretty ordinary looking, cinder block “stadium” open to the elements.

Yes, I know they’ve been around for forty years compared to Toronto’s four but I suppose it comes down to the two clubs stances, which appears to differ, going by this move. Toronto attracted fans through incentives in free tickets but offered them more than just a sporting event, whereas it seems London are going down a different route. 

They did it in a downtown area and FWIW at least Lamport has stands on 2 sides. They made the absolute most of what they had.

If a similar opportunity was available to London I'd be fully supportive of them going for it.

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No. Lower than anyone else in the league at the time, didn't go up, and were then higher elsewhere. But, from the perspective of today, better than achieved on the return to Super League and better than we get as a Championship club.

We needed 5,000 average to break even at the time and were getting nearer 3,000.

So what?

3000 is a virtually impossible figure to achieve at TF. 3k at the new plough lane would be excellent target to aim for and to build on.

5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Why are we looking to move to a completely different part of London (and only someone not native to the city would argue Ealing/Wimbledon are the same)? And a location that is more difficult to get to?

More difficult to get to!! You must be joking. Ealing, especially on a Sunday when there is a reduced or no rail service is by far and away the most difficult to get to that the Broncos have played at. Even Chiswick was easier.

I'm wondering if the scenario is SL, move to Plough Lane; Championship, stay at Ealing. I'm getting a bit bothered about the situation anyway as we seem to be offloading all our players and showing no interest in signing new ones. By now all the SL quality players are probably fixed up which is going to be a problem for whoever gets the last place.

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nothing to do with being tennants of a football or Union team or being relegated...

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They did it in a downtown area and FWIW at least Lamport has stands on 2 sides. They made the absolute most of what they had.

If a similar opportunity was available to London I'd be fully supportive of them going for it.

London had three stands and are within millions inside five miles. 

The biggest unresolved question in it all is who’s funding this? David Hughes has been reducing his financial outlay in recent years and they’ve very much focused on their academy with few signings for next year............so it would seem surprising if he shelled out for a new stadium lease, even if it was with the hope of getting in SL. If there’s new investment into the Broncos then that would be the bigger story

50 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And Wimbledon would be absolute fools not to take us TBH. Nice steady cash cow for them.

I can understand why Wimbledon fans would be keen.

If AFC Wimbledon think a rugby league club is a "steady cash cow" then they clearly don't know us very well.... 

Quick, sign the lease before they realise! 

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The biggest unresolved question in it all is who’s funding this? David Hughes has been reducing his financial outlay in recent years and they’ve very much focused on their academy with few signings for next year............so it would seem surprising if he shelled out for a new stadium lease, even if it was with the hope of getting in SL. If there’s new investment into the Broncos then that would be the bigger story

Agree. And maybe that's where NRL/PE come in... 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

My thoughts exactly, though if that is the case it’s odd that they’ve waited until so near the announcement to announce it. And also the ‘independent’ panel will have already have made their decision so what did they know. 

Theres no mention of this on the Broncos website yet. 

The Marketing Manager said on another site that some good news was in the Superleague application so I suspect those making the choice are well aware of the proposed move.

It does seem very Broncos-esque not to arrange a simultaneously timed press release to their season ticket holders etc to go alongside the one from Wimbledon. It's great finding you are off to yet another part of London third hand.

59 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure you can but go for it. There are seated facilities behind each set of sticks and a seated, corporate area running down one side of the pitch. 

No wheelchair viewing platform though.

I think New Plough Lane is a positive move on that basis alone! 😄

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Trailfinders is a pig to get to on Sundays and ultimately, how many regular fans have Broncos picked up from the Ealing area since the move? I'd have to say 500 at most. The rest (probably only another 500 regularly) come from all over London and the SE, so the move will be neutral/better for them. It's certainly better for anyone coming from South London or the southern counties like me! 

I have always wondered about the make up of the London crowd especially with the amount of moves they have had and what's happened to the supporters local to each ground, most rugby league clubs have the advantage of a hardcore of support from within a couple of miles from their home ,really hope London can identify a ground and more importantly an area that they stay long term

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What actually happened is the MK guy needed a football club to enable the development of an Asda, IKEA, hotel etc. We weren’t the first club approached. The owners of WFC completely disregarded us fans and moved us. But hey, we won. Nobody likes MK Dons, we’re in the same division and we built a stadium in Wimbledon ourselves. So f—k you!

I sympathise with that.

Archived