London moving again?

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

If AFC Wimbledon think a rugby league club is a "steady cash cow" then they clearly don't know us very well.... 

Quick, sign the lease before they realise! 

What other possible reason would they want us there?

We are going to give up five years work at Trailfinders for probably one year in the super league where we will receive less money than every other team and in addition we have now sold most of our best players?

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

No wheelchair viewing platform though.

I think New Plough Lane is a positive move on that basis alone! 😄

It is very poor that there is no wheelchair viewing platform.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure you can but go for it. There are seated facilities behind each set of sticks and a seated, corporate area running down one side of the pitch. 

yep. their was the last time I went... the newer one being where you could park and have the balls land on yer car being close behind the posts...

Whilst a pain to get to I always enjoyed the visits... I like the big bar area, the BBQ's meaning reasonable food... and plenty of space to wander around before kick off.., nice pleasant day all round

2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Has any of this been confirmed yet? If so, what and where?

As far as I can tell, the bit that's in the public domain is that AFC Wimbledon's members have received details of a possible tenancy for London Broncos at Plough Lane and are being asked their opinions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

Im not sure that moving to another, rented, stadium gives much more of a foundation than we have had for nigh on thirty years. London need to own somewhere at least in part. 

Which leaves buying in with QPR a far off longshot...

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Which leaves buying in with QPR a far off longshot...

Or something we do ourselves. 

I dont actually discount this with Wimbledon. 3 of the stands at Plough Lane are semi-permanent. There is obviously a need for redevelopment at some point. 

33 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

I dont actually discount this with Wimbledon. 3 of the stands at Plough Lane are semi-permanent. There is obviously a need for redevelopment at some point. 

There’s planning permission for 20,000 hence three semi-permanent stands in phase 1. That will be a long time in coming, I suspect. 

39 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

Haven't they been redeveloping Plough Lane to have 4 permanent stands?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There’s planning permission for 20,000 hence three semi-permanent stands in phase 1. That will be a long time in coming, I suspect. 

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Haven't they been redeveloping Plough Lane to have 4 permanent stands?

This is kind of what im talking about. I think they are redeveloping it and need to at the moment, thats where we can step in partially. 

1 minute ago, Scotchy1 said:

This is kind of what im talking about. I think they are redeveloping it and need to at the moment, thats where we can step in partially. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I doubt it tbh.

I'm sure they want to develop, but funding it is more the sticking point. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Hence why they want a ten year rental agreement 

EDIT

Don’t mind me, seems you were talking about Ealing

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And for what purpose too. We think talk about licensing in RL all the time but its significantly more prevalent in RU, even if mr Trailfinders can find the money to fund an Exeter or Newcastle style development of a ground, Irish being at Brentford could be a major sticking point.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And for what purpose too. We think talk about licensing in RL all the time but its significantly more prevalent in RU, even if mr Trailfinders can find the money to fund an Exeter or Newcastle style development of a ground, Irish being at Brentford could be a major sticking point.

London Irish are members of Premier Rugby, Ealing aren’t. There’s no way they’re getting into the top tier without a wholesale revolution in domestic RU.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well, from what we know about the ongoing financial losses in the top flight (even before COVID), maybe some clubs will "do a Richmond" and create space for advancement from below.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I enjoy having a different part of London to visit every few years or so.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yep, the other union owners have made it quite clear they see no value of Ealing in the premiership, plus planning would be a nightmare in what is a residential area. And for what, the right to pour millions down a black hole in a saturated market?

No, Trailfinders is never going to be much more than it is now, which means that if Broncos have any hope of approaching the crowds that make full-time status even remotely sustainable, then matchdays at least will need to move elsewhere. 

It does beg the question, though, of whether a sustainable, full time (which means superleague) rugby league club in London is possible anymore, given the sporting, social and economic changes of the last 25 years. Especially in the capital.

I'm not sure it is. I'm leaning to think that the window that was there at the dawn of superleague and a few years after has probably closed. 

I was going to post some of what Toby has said above RE: Trailfinders - As far as I am aware, yes we managed to get the new temporary stand on one end, but the ground was never going to be developed anymore than that - It barely can, it has a pitch on one side, and a tiny small amount of seats on one end and then a wedding venue with some seats on the other side. And it was always alluded to that the local residents would never let more development happen to it.

As a London fan, Ealing although has been great for the club in gaining some stability, overall, imo, it was only ever going to be a stop gap. It's an awful stadium, and anyone claiming it is great is deluded (sorry, but it is a tip with no redeeming features)

I was very happy at the news of us moving to any new ground, I am happy that it is in South London, as that makes it easier - Ealing was atrocious to get to by public transport, especially on a Sunday. 

I hope the reserves/academy stay at Trailfinders, as that is all that venue is, its a training ground, and the first team play their games at a stadium that is suitable for SL. 

I can't be the only London fan that was put off with the thought of having to trek across London for 2 + hours each way to try and find a space on a small walkway next to the pitch where you can barely see anything on the other side of the pitch as you're level. 

Archived