The Ken Barlow of Sport.

Johnoco

I think it was Cliff Richard that labelled Rugby League as the 'Rock and Roll of Sport'.

However I think that today it's more like the Ken Barlow of sport. Safe and predictable and never straying too far from the place of birth. Like Ken, it occasionally has a fling with someone's Mrs but in the end sees sense and comes back to where he feels safe. His heartland if you will. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I think it was Cliff Richard that labelled Rugby League as the 'Rock and Roll of Sport'.

However I think that today it's more like the Ken Barlow of sport. Safe and predictable and never straying too far from the place of birth. Like Ken, it occasionally has a fling with someone's Mrs but in the end sees sense and comes back to where he feels safe. His heartland if you will. 

You are trying to be too clever by half. Your analogy is pants.  Take a good look at 'Ken Barlows' rap sheet, and weep, but in the meantime your definition of a safe fling is a bit different to mine.  

I'm the boring one and I'll happily settle for saving a bit of money in the bank to nurture my growing heartland family ... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are trying to be too clever by half. Your analogy is pants.  Take a good look at 'Ken Barlows' rap sheet, and weep, but in the meantime your definition of a safe fling is a bit different to mine.  

I'm the boring one and I'll happily settle for saving a bit of money in the bank to nurture my growing heartland family ... 

Ok Ken

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Ok Ken

You really need to let go Deidre.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Ken Barlow is a former head druid - nowt safe and predictable about Ken. Plus who else had a pack of naughty playing cards with his ex in glasses featuring

Edited by sweaty craiq

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Was it not Shakespeare ? Sure it was 

Shakespeare was a RL enthusiast it’s true and turned out for Stratford Luvvies XIII but a fondness for strumpets and mead was his undoing. He tried putting on exhibition games at the Globe theatre but the head of RL development at the time (Baron Von Elstone of Northernshire) deemed his efforts a waste of time and ‘no cultural value’. So he stuck to the day job. 

10 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Shakespeare was a RL enthusiast it’s true and turned out for Stratford Luvvies XIII but a fondness for strumpets and mead was his undoing. He tried putting on exhibition games at the Globe theatre but the head of RL development at the time (Baron Von Elstone of Northernshire) deemed his efforts a waste of time and ‘no cultural value’. So he stuck to the day job. 

Indeed , and went on to write a famous play about Warrington in super league , ‘  Much Ado About Nothing ‘

• Haha 4

There was an enterprising plan by a couple of businessmen to enter League 1 with an Italian team, or The two gentlemen of Verona, as we know it.