Which Two Clubs to Take SL to 14?

RayCee

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is so much snobbery in Rugby League when it comes to types of fan. So what if they were glory hunters? Either way it was great to see huge crowds at Odsal and another big RL club. I think history tells us that the hardcore fan base is quite low outside the bigger clubs. We need the floating fan to boost attendances and we need them to attend as often as possible.

I suspect the hardcore fan base would be quite low amongst some of the "bigger" clubs should they suffer a decline in fortunes.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/12/2020 at 10:56, RobertAM said:

Hey I'd love nothing else but I'm convinced the only way we will get the Pack back is if someone loaded takes a punt on establishing an Americas Rugby League or if the NRL rescues SLE from itself and reorganizes the entire shebang. The current leadership couldn't run a ten house paper route.

Who would ever invest in a startup league of a sport which is basically unknown here in America without the unique transatlantic element to make it stand out from all the other leagues which are already here?  Even if such investors could be brought on board, how would they attract the crowds and TV audiences needed to succeed without that unique, outside-the-box transatlantic aspect??

3 hours ago, Damien said:

There is so much snobbery in Rugby League when it comes to types of fan. So what if they were glory hunters? Either way it was great to see huge crowds at Odsal and another big RL club. I think history tells us that the hardcore fan base is quite low outside the bigger clubs. We need the floating fan to boost attendances and we need them to attend as often as possible.

But every club cannot win all the time , ideally it would be cyclic , so every club gets some success which helps to build their support bases , but it doesn't work like that in

59 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But every club cannot win all the time , ideally it would be cyclic , so every club gets some success which helps to build their support bases , but it doesn't work like that in

You don't just need success to build supporter bases. I think attributing that solely to Bradford's crowds is awfully simplistic when it was a combination of complimentary factors. Yes success helped but there was also a truly innovative approach that was new to RL with fantastic marketing, a great gameday experience for fans, the switch to summer,  some cult players etc, that led to that growth.

Whilst success obviously helps other clubs have increased their supporter bases without success or with little success. It can be done. New stadiums or at least better facilities, better fan experiences, more entertainment and marketing etc have all been shown to be effective too.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

You don't just need success to build supporter bases. I think attributing that solely to Bradford's crowds is awfully simplistic when it was a combination of complimentary factors. Yes success helped but there was also a truly innovative approach that was new to RL with fantastic marketing, a great gameday experience for fans, the switch to summer,  some cult players etc, that led to that growth.

Whilst success obviously helps other clubs have increased their supporter bases without success or with little success. It can be done. New stadiums or at least better facilities, better fan experiences, more entertainment and marketing etc have all been shown to be effective too.

In fact if I remember correctly Bradford got to a point where despite increasing success the crowds actually plateaued, Caisley made some pretty negative comments about the supporters at the time, ultimately that made things worse. You are totally correct about the innovative game day experience having a lot to do with the increase, as well as a slice of luck with weather, the Odsal bowl is much more welcoming on a warm summers evening. The biggest problem with improving fan experiences and providing more and better entertainment is that it costs money, something our clubs seem desperately short of at the moment.

59 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

In fact if I remember correctly Bradford got to a point where despite increasing success the crowds actually plateaued, Caisley made some pretty negative comments about the supporters at the time, ultimately that made things worse. You are totally correct about the innovative game day experience having a lot to do with the increase, as well as a slice of luck with weather, the Odsal bowl is much more welcoming on a warm summers evening. The biggest problem with improving fan experiences and providing more and better entertainment is that it costs money, something our clubs seem desperately short of at the moment.

There are so many other things that went on with regards Bradford using them as some kind of baseline is nonsense 

23 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Who would ever invest in a startup league of a sport which is basically unknown here in America without the unique transatlantic element to make it stand out from all the other leagues which are already here?  Even if such investors could be brought on board, how would they attract the crowds and TV audiences needed to succeed without that unique, outside-the-box transatlantic aspect??

There could a be a transatlantic link up, Challenge cup, World Club challenge could be expanded for example. and as the Wolfpack adventure demonstrated if you make the game day experience attractive the crowds will come. I think a crossborder league would do quite well. Arrows RU gets L1 and Ch size crowds plus a TV contract, I think  an ARL would beat their numbers.

2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

There could a be a transatlantic link up, Challenge cup, World Club challenge could be expanded for example. and as the Wolfpack adventure demonstrated if you make the game day experience attractive the crowds will come. I think a crossborder league would do quite well. Arrows RU gets L1 and Ch size crowds plus a TV contract, I think  an ARL would beat their numbers.

Expanding the Challenge Cup and World Club Challenge, seriously?  How do you expect the former to work when the English teams are all so poor and hand-to-mouth?  How would American teams to be remotely good enough for the latter without serious money behind them and a paying TV contract(s)?

Don't forget that MLR isn't being paid to have their matches televised, they're paying the broadcaster!  What TV network would sign up to buy rights to televise a new league in a sport which is barely known over here if it just replicates what other sports can offer them?

20 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

There are so many other things that went on with regards Bradford using them as some kind of baseline is nonsense 

Totally agree, as I mentioned somewhere earlier a lot of that exciting pre game entertainment, along with the team, was paid for with money the club either didn’t have, or was supposed to be spent on maintaining Odsal, my point was to try to illustrate that even though Bradford went on a long run of success, that didn’t necessarily translate to bigger and bigger crowds, they actually hit a plateau which they could not get beyond, almost certainly a problem they would have again, given the cities demographic.

Archived