2-point drop goal

The NRL is trialling 2 point drop goals if scored from more than 40 metres out.  That's going to effectively create a new category of scoring.  Would we call these something else for the sake of clarity, or just amend points. It would make automated checking easier if they were labelled differently as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A goal is a goal.  Doesn't matter whether it's a drop goal, penalty or conversion.   It still counts as one goal.

Points are a different matter.  You need to know whether it's two points or one.  But you don't need a new category.  Just stick them in with the other two pointers, which is what happened prior to 1974.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Hadn't thought of that. Having said that, for some of the later seasons (for Leeds at least) before drop goals were reduced to 1 point they were recorded separately as drop goals even if the points were the same. I know historically it could be confusing for a prop to suddenly pop up with a 'goal' - I assume they were most likely drop goals.

On 02/01/2021 at 01:55, BrisbaneRhino said:

Hadn't thought of that. Having said that, for some of the later seasons (for Leeds at least) before drop goals were reduced to 1 point they were recorded separately as drop goals even if the points were the same. I know historically it could be confusing for a prop to suddenly pop up with a 'goal' - I assume they were most likely drop goals.

At Featherstone,  and I assume at most clubs, up to 1973 all the goalscorers were mixed together,  be it penalties, conversions or drop goals. All 2 pointers.

10 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I've got them identified separately for Leeds from 1966-67.  I know it doesn't make any real difference but there we are. 

Well done mate! I'd love to have that for Fev, but it seems impossible in retrospect without detailed and accurate references in match reports. Educated guesswork could take you a long way.

• 10 months later...

Ridiculous idea. Having 1 point drop goal makes the game more interesting. The NRL have ruined the sport down under by make it 2 points if the attempt is made from more than 40 metres out. Luckily it’s only in their competition where as in all other domestic comps and on the international level it’s only 1. Union on the other hand have changed from having a 40:20 to a 50:22. 

Archived