Challenge Cup TV Deal Confirmed 2022-2024

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think it was ever in doubt if it would be on the BBC again. The key question is the value.

I expect you'll need to study future annual reports to get that info clearly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Enhanced you say......

It'd be interesting to know what that word means in this context. We will probably only find out in the 2022 Annual Report when they explain the breakdown of TV income.

That is good news.

The estimates of the Super League deal have already been projected and widely reported. Long before Toronto even dropped out. Before even the pandemic erupted. We can see some are actually actively angling to twist this SL deal already. Very predicable.  

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It'd be interesting to know what that word means in this context. We will probably only find out in the 2022 Annual Report when they explain the breakdown of TV income.

I think enhanced means women's and wheelchair coverage now included.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Getting rid of Jonathon Davies would be the icing on the cake, but I suppose we can't have everything.

I don't mind him. He clearly loves the game and is enthusiastic about it. He is also a personality that is known nationwide.

8 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Getting rid of Jonathon Davies would be the icing on the cake, but I suppose we can't have everything.

actually I think he is good part of the BBC team who do an excellent production - far better than Sky...

33 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Enhanced you say......

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

The key question is the value.

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If this also means an increase in value, it’s great news. 

If enhanced just means more FTA sport on the cheap this is not a moment for celebration unless you only have poor people's TV.

2 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

According to Simon Johnson, value is the same but RFL have digital rights 

So one up from the articulated lorry pizza models brilliant.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

39 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I hope Elstone can get an enhanced deal for Super League after kicking Toronto out and replacing them with Leigh. If he can’t how can anyone justify his massive salary he’s getting.

Completely irrelevant to this positive thread. 

"The BBC’s ground breaking online and digital coverage of the early rounds of the competition featuring teams and clubs from all sections of the Community Game will continue and will sit alongside the RFL’s additional digital and highlights rights allowing the opportunity to promote the sport to a wider audience."

Anyone got details on this?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

"The BBC’s ground breaking online and digital coverage of the early rounds of the competition featuring teams and clubs from all sections of the Community Game will continue and will sit alongside the RFL’s additional digital and highlights rights allowing the opportunity to promote the sport to a wider audience."

Anyone got details on this?

RFL chair says: Maintained value of the rights and released digital rights that we can use.

So, presumably, RFL can do what it likes with regards to putting extra games on OurLeague/YouTube and getting decent highlights/clips onto social media.

Good news for sure. 

But wasn't the briefing a while back that TV rights were being split into two packages - Superleague in one and all the rest in another?

Seems like it's a bit more fragmented than that, and makes me think it's less likely the BBC are picking up the championship. If they were, wouldn't they wait to announce CC and championship rights together?

Archived