Challenge Cup TV Deal Confirmed 2022-2024

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s very good news that three forms of the game are going to get coverage via the BBC and the Women’s game being on BBC rather than via a red button option. 

If this also means an increase in value, it’s great news. 

The thick luvvers on here wont see the commercial opportunities of FTA tv

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I have nothing against him personally, it’s his running of the sport that’s my concern.

He's executive  chairman of SL. The RFL runs the sport here. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of bigotry, eh?  Your post is still irrelevant to this topic.

I am slightly disapointed as the CC would be a perfect opportunity to dip our toe into amazon prime.

Their union and soccer coverage has been good and the tennis coverage has also been ok, I can forsee this app based service being the tv of the future and the CC is a good test for both parties..

Oh well

Just now, Dave T said:

I notice that the Coral logo has been removed from the Challenge Cup branding. Looks like that deal has now ended. Will be interesting to see who is next. 

AB Sundecks.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

I am slightly disapointed as the CC would be a perfect opportunity to dip our toe into amazon prime.

Their union and soccer coverage has been good and the tennis coverage has also been ok, I can forsee this app based service being the tv of the future and the CC is a good test for both parties..

Oh well

The Challenge Cup is our only real opportunity (in the absence of regular internationals) to put ourselves in front of people who might not otherwise be looking for sport, let alone rugby league. Being on FTA is vital for that.

Amazon Prime's coverage is okay but I doubt too many people, let alone many casual people, are watching it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The Challenge Cup is our only real opportunity (in the absence of regular internationals) to put ourselves in front of people who might not otherwise be looking for sport, let alone rugby league. Being on FTA is vital for that.

Amazon Prime's coverage is okay but I doubt too many people, let alone many casual people, are watching it.

But i read today that RU turned down 40 mill from BT and are holding out for an amazon deal.

Aparantly Amazon want to show more rugby.

Additionally Amazons market is global so the reach is far greater than a few technophobes in the uk

24 minutes ago, yipyee said:

But i read today that RU turned down 40 mill from BT and are holding out for an amazon deal.

Aparantly Amazon want to show more rugby.

Additionally Amazons market is global so the reach is far greater than a few technophobes in the uk

Without going cross code, when you do a search for RU Prem deal, it makes for very grim reading for them. Thats not to say it wont change, but it is not looking like they have people chomping at the bit to pay them huge money. They do have the advantage of having far more income streams to support them and allow them to change strategy if they need to.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Without going cross code, when you do a search for RU Prem deal, it makes for very grim reading for them. Thats not to say it wont change, but it is not looking like they have people chomping at the bit to pay them huge money. They do have the advantage of having far more income streams to support them and allow them to change strategy if they need to.

Agreed

I feel that internet tv is the way forward though and using global companies would mean agreeing one tv contract than negotiating several across multiple countries.

It also allows you to pay for individual games.

I can see them bidding for more premier league packages if their experiment this round worked for them.

It would be intersting to see the stats from the autum nations games in terms of viewers etc. 

30 minutes ago, yipyee said:

It may well be, but surely the main audience is, like ours, people who want to watch that sport.

With everything you can watch at your fingertips, every sport is competing with drama, entertainment, documentaries that people are seeking out.

Yes the Internet is the present and future, but having your sport on the default first channel on every TV platform in the UK isn't a bad deal for us.

On 15/12/2020 at 22:05, yipyee said:

Oh well

Absolute no brainer having this on the BBC. Free to air is vital for sports starved of attention. If RU’s Six Nations ever completely leaves FTA it would be a massive blunder, same applies to RL. RU in Aus did this and suffered accordingly.

4 hours ago, DC77 said:

Absolute no brainer having this on the BBC. Free to air is vital for sports starved of attention. If RU’s Six Nations ever completely leaves FTA it would be a massive blunder, same applies to RL. RU in Aus did this and suffered accordingly.

If ever we could generate advertising revenue then the whole game could be free to air.  These days, given Freeview, there are a wide range of free channels.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

If ever we could generate advertising revenue then the whole game could be free to air.  These days, given Freeview, there are a wide range of free channels.

I don't believe that to be desirable. No sport pursues a wholly FTA model because you're effectively giving away for free what a smaller group of the keenest fans are willing to pay for.

ie prem football has no problem generating sponsors and ad revenue, and would get more if the games were on FTA, but that would never match the revenue from 5 million homes willing to pay £300 a year to watch. 

The issue is about balance, and there's plenty of evidence now that a wholly pay-TV model is flawed as you lose reach.

Cricket is reversing that for example, as they see the damage done from having no FTA at all, but they still expect the vast majority of the games to be on Sky. 

If union put the Six Nations - their only annual competition that reaches beyond the hardcore fanbase - behind a paywall, it would be a catastrophic mistake. Ah well. 

We don't need everything on FTA, just a few more high quality games to help promote rugby league. In the absence of a bigger international program that means 4 or 5 decent  SL games a year on FTA, including the GF. That's what I'd strain every sinew to get out of the new TV deal. 

20 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I don't believe that to be desirable. No sport pursues a wholly FTA model because you're effectively giving away for free what a smaller group of the keenest fans are willing to pay for.

ie prem football has no problem generating sponsors and ad revenue, and would get more if the games were on FTA, but that would never match the revenue from 5 million homes willing to pay £300 a year to watch. 

The issue is about balance, and there's plenty of evidence now that a wholly pay-TV model is flawed as you lose reach.

Cricket is reversing that for example, as they see the damage done from having no FTA at all, but they still expect the vast majority of the games to be on Sky. 

If union put the Six Nations - their only annual competition that reaches beyond the hardcore fanbase - behind a paywall, it would be a catastrophic mistake. Ah well. 

We don't need everything on FTA, just a few more high quality games to help promote rugby league. In the absence of a bigger international program that means 4 or 5 decent  SL games a year on FTA, including the GF. That's what I'd strain every sinew to get out of the new TV deal. 

Freemium is an interesting model for sport. Some on FTA and use that to encourage the pay wall stuff.

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

If the value to advertisers was there then a company would pay to show it... pay to RL.

I was thinking that the NRL games are on their terrestrial commercial channels.  I am happy to be corrected if they are not.

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

If the value to advertisers was there then a company would pay to show it... pay to RL.

I was thinking that the NRL games are on their terrestrial commercial channels.  I am happy to be corrected if they are not.

Each week 3 of 8 NRL games are shown on terrestrial on Nine, the remaining 5 are on payTV on Fox. That's in a country where RL is one of two dominant sports. 

I mean, I'd love a weekly Superleague game on terrestrial, but it's all about making it add up. If it encouraged some to cancel their Sky subscription as they could get a weekly RL fix on terrestrial, then you'd be gambling that any boost to crowds and sponsorship would outweigh an inevitably reduced Sky contract.

For a niche sport like RL the evidence from would suggest it's unlikely, but that's what the administrators are paid to figure out. 

The only example I can think of of where a major sports league puts most of their games on terrestrial is the NFL, basically due to its ability to deliver more advertising eyeballs than anything else - sport or non-sport - in the world's biggest and richest economy. That's the sort of reach and market you need to make terrestrial work, even the Premier League can't deliver that. 

Archived