Zane Tetevano.

Loiner

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Daily Telegraph reports Tetevano, who joined the Panthers from Sydney Roosters for 2020, is being targeted by Super League side Leeds Rhinos.

According to the Telegraph, the Rhinos are prepared to offer Tetevano a three-year deal worth $1.5 million, $150,000 a season more than his current contract.

For a minute I thought the English daily telegraph had lowered itself to do an rugby league article, nearly fell off my chair. 

49 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Daily Telegraph reports Tetevano, who joined the Panthers from Sydney Roosters for 2020, is being targeted by Super League side Leeds Rhinos.

According to the Telegraph, the Rhinos are prepared to offer Tetevano a three-year deal worth $1.5 million, $150,000 a season more than his current contract.

Big, big money for a prop. Props from the NRL on big money don't have the best record in Super League.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Big, big money for a prop. Props from the NRL on big money don't have the best record in Super League.

Yep, hope hes not an other Trent Merrin or Err Greg Eastwood 🤣🤣...

You are correct, not many NRL props do much in SL - maybe its top tough for them. It would explain why an above average SL prop like Big Crabtree used to hammer the Aussies - they never could handle him....

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

You are correct, not many NRL props do much in SL - maybe its top tough for them. It would explain why an above average SL prop like Big Crabtree used to hammer the Aussies - they never could handle him....

Would also explain why English forwards often do well in the NRL. A tougher breed of dog than our sun-kissed Australian cousins, perhaps.

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Which is a big change from back in the day when Aussie pops such as Greg Dowling and Les Boyd were brilliant in the British game.

Add in others from down under like Kevin Tamati, Kurt Sorenson and Ian Roberts (Although he may have been a second row back then), and there was a lot to like about Antipodean forwards.

9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Don't forget Leeds signing Sam Backo!!

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

The only thing that comes to mind when I see his name is the domestic violence.

He could have gone to jail ... now ex-Knight Zane Tetevano is chasing a second straight grand final win with Sydney Roosters. | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

Seems he has ridden himself of these demons, done his time and paid the price

Sam Backo wasn't a great signing, but he won exactly the same with Leeds as ET, Cliff Lyons, Garry Schofield et al - Yorkshire Cup 1988, including the winning try in the semi that got us to the final. 

Its a bit oversimplistic to say big money forwards don't do well - agree that its as much to do with why they are going to SL and also whether they are in any fit state to keep playing.  George Burgess was a crock when Wigan signed him, Mark Carroll was way past it when he went to England, and Eastwood never wanted to go to England in the first place. Etc.

Bottom line is that clubs need to do research and make sure they get players that are fit and want to join them.

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

How much!!

Saddens me that a premier club pays this for a 30 year old prop. 

A 3 year deal for a 30 year old prop isn’t a big deal, he’s clearly in his prime having played for New Zealand against both Australia and Great Britain last year.

In that game he played against Alex Walmsley who is the same age as him, Chris Hill who is 3 years older than him and James Graham who is 5 years older than him.

Is he worth the big money? Only time will tell but I’m optimistic and think he’ll be a great signing.

27 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A 3 year deal for a 30 year old prop isn’t a big deal, he’s clearly in his prime having played for New Zealand against both Australia and Great Britain last year.

In that game he played against Alex Walmsley who is the same age as him, Chris Hill who is 3 years older than him and James Graham who is 5 years older than him.

Is he worth the big money? Only time will tell but I’m optimistic and think he’ll be a great signing.

Do you think a club of Leeds' stature should be spending ~275k GBP a year on a prop from overseas?

Hill - British. Been at the club 7/8 years

Walmsley - British. Been at the club 7/8 years

Shouldn't this be the standard? Not particularly griping, but i just dont understand why we spend so much on overseas positions that we should have in this country.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

33 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Do you think a club of Leeds' stature should be spending ~275k GBP a year on a prop from overseas?

Hill - British. Been at the club 7/8 years

Walmsley - British. Been at the club 7/8 years

Shouldn't this be the standard? Not particularly griping, but i just dont understand why we spend so much on overseas positions that we should have in this country.

Every Super League club has overseas players, the position they play in isn’t relevant. Leeds produce more Super League and Championship players than any other club. 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Every Super League club has overseas players, the position they play in isn’t relevant. Leeds produce more Super League and Championship players than any other club. 

That is quite the statement, I thought that was Wigans to claim, but who knows 

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

For a minute I thought the English daily telegraph had lowered itself to do an rugby league article, nearly fell off my chair. 

It's done a prominent article today (even plugged on the front page) but only to link rugby league with rugby union's dementia crisis.

Archived