Zane Tetevano.

Loiner

With another antipodean front rower signed, I'm hoping it doesn't hinder the chances that Tom Holroyd will get in the first team in the coming seasons. He is a really good prospect. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

With another antipodean front rower signed, I'm hoping it doesn't hinder the chances that Tom Holroyd will get in the first team in the coming seasons. He is a really good prospect. 

Agreed, like I said in my initial post if this leaves us with 4 props in our Top 25, Prior, Tetevano, Oledski and Holroyd I'll be reasonably happy. Adding Ava to that would be a bonus and allow Prior to play more of a 13 role given his ball handling skills.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Tom Holroyd will be a starting prop forward for Leeds for years to come. But he’s only 19 and played a handful of Super League games. He’s isn’t a reason to not sign Tetevano, a current New Zealand international. I think a year in the Championship on loan at Featherstone, Bradford or York playing long minutes would be ideal for Tom. 

59 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Tom Holroyd will be a starting prop forward for Leeds for years to come. But he’s only 19 and played a handful of Super League games. He’s isn’t a reason to not sign Tetevano, a current New Zealand international. I think a year in the Championship on loan at Featherstone, Bradford or York playing long minutes would be ideal for Tom. 

If Tom Holroyd is moved to a Championship club to accommodate him, I would say that is a perfect reason not to sign Tetevano.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Isn’t Tetevano replacing Cuthbertson, why do people expect Ava to leave? 

16 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The club are hardly going to rubbish the rumours after the saga of Merrin 

Ava just announced on his instagram that he is leaving

16 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed, like I said in my initial post if this leaves us with 4 props in our Top 25, Prior, Tetevano, Oledski and Holroyd I'll be reasonably happy. Adding Ava to that would be a bonus and allow Prior to play more of a 13 role given his ball handling skills.

How far along is Mustapha at the moment, though i think he's more a 2nd rower than prop? Loved watching him smash the aussie young uns.

Just now, dkw said:

How far along is Mustapha at the moment, though i think he's more a 2nd rower than prop? Loved watching him smash the aussie young uns.

Think he's gone on loan to KR for the year with the option to become permanent - which is an example of another point raised recently...

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Think he's gone on loan to KR for the year with the option to become permanent - which is an example of another point raised recently...

Really, is that because he hasn't progressed as Leeds hoped or just no squad space? 

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Leeds had three forwards in the 14-8 first game win against the Aussies... Muizz Mustapha, Tom Holroyd and Owen Trout.

Trout is at Huddersfield, Mustapha at HKR for a year on loan and now there are people advocating that Holroyd spend a year in the Championship while Leeds sign another NRL forward. 

They could have had the the finest young forward prospects in the game and yet seem intent on dismantling it.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Leeds had three forwards in the 14-8 first game win against the Aussies... Muizz Mustapha, Tom Holroyd and Owen Trout.

Trout is at Huddersfield, Mustapha at HKR for a year on loan and now there are people advocating that Holroyd spend a year in the Championship while Leeds sign another NRL forward. 

They could have had the the finest young forward prospects in the game and yet seem intent on dismantling it.

It's disappointing isn't it, the stand out player in that series in Harry Smith will hopefully be a starter for Wigan next season. Mustapha was fantastic to watch, all action and put everything in. 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Really, is that because he hasn't progressed as Leeds hoped or just no squad space? 

Honestly I don't know.

If I was to be harsh on Leeds I'd say we've bungled a lot of talent over the past 10 years, at least as much as we have produced. Sutcliffe comes to mind prominently in that category as does Cameron Smith, who has gone from being a talented ball handling 13 at junior levels to a total Donkey thanks to how he has been managed and coached by Leeds.

That said, there's equally nothing wrong with loaning players out imo. Especially with no reserves and with the player going to a fellow Super League side (as opposed to championship) coached by Tony Smith for example.

7 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's disappointing isn't it, the stand out player in that series in Harry Smith will hopefully be a starter for Wigan next season. Mustapha was fantastic to watch, all action and put everything in. 

Yes, I hope Smith is the 7 for Wigan as he is the best half back talent I have seen for a long time.

I would give credit to Wigan for the game time they have given to Havard and Smithes though... it shows that these talented kids can mix it at the top of Super League and don't need a year in a lesser competition to improve (which is illogical anyway).

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Honestly I don't know.

If I was to be harsh on Leeds I'd say we've bungled a lot of talent over the past 10 years, at least as much as we have produced. Sutcliffe comes to mind prominently in that category as does Cameron Smith, who has gone from being a talented ball handling 13 at junior levels to a total Donkey thanks to how he has been managed and coached by Leeds.

That said, there's equally nothing wrong with loaning players out imo. Especially with no reserves and with the player going to a fellow Super League side (as opposed to championship) coached by Tony Smith for example.

I see that about a loan, and having Tony coach him will help.

56 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Honestly I don't know.

Cam Smith has been on of the best back rowers at the club 

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Nothing wrong with having good ball handling skills in any position, like James Graham at prop. These skills haven’t been coached out of him. 

He doesn't use them to any great level currently. Which is why players like Knowles and Smithies are in England contention and he is miles off.

Its another Sutcliffe scenario, at one point people considered him equal to George Williams 😂

Leeds have lost Ava, Cuthbo and Crosby for next year (granted the latter didn’t play in 2020). They wanted another prop even before Ava left so I expect another to come in after Tetevano. 

Holroyd will get plenty of opportunities next year (if he stays fit). As far as I know, Mustapha is only on a season long loan (without an option) as Leeds think a lot of him. He’s raw but very promising. 

Smith perplexes me somewhat. He’s a more natural loose forward but seems to have put on too much weight and looks less mobile/athletic. He seemed to have filled the Ferres role in 2nd row. I’d have preferred if they kept him at 13 and Prior at prop

18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

This lacks detail, it sounds to me like Hull kr have the option to pay a transfer fee and keep Mustapha, something Leeds know Hull kr will not be able to afford. A great bit of business from Leeds who know they will get their player back if they want him. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This lacks detail, it sounds to me like Hull kr have the option to pay a transfer fee and keep Mustapha, something Leeds know Hull kr will not be able to afford. A great bit of business from Leeds who know they will get their player back if they want him. 

Absolutely but they still have the option. I assume Leeds didn't have to allow that clause to be in the contract.

22 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I hope Smith is the 7 for Wigan as he is the best half back talent I have seen for a long time.

I would give credit to Wigan for the game time they have given to Havard and Smithes though... it shows that these talented kids can mix it at the top of Super League and don't need a year in a lesser competition to improve (which is illogical anyway).

Wigan and Saints are the best clubs at bringing though talent consistently who reach their potential.

Archived