Zane Tetevano.

Loiner

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

'Super League club may offer more money' is an understatement in my opinion.

I would be confident in saying that 95% of all NRL imports in SL are here because they are being paid more than what they can earn in the NRL. It's a job after all. Money talks.

So you don't think they are maybe here because they can't get a game Down Under?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Over the past 10 (my time watching SL) in my opinion there really hasn't been that many 'big name' signings that have been 'average at best'. You say there are plenty of them but I can't really recall that many. Widdop comes to mind I guess.

Now some of those big name signings may of not lived up to fans unrealistic expectations. But saying plenty of big name signings have been average at best is a bit of an exaggeration imo.

I didn't limit my view to 10 years. 

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If making metres and tackling are the jobs of a prop could I ask you to explain something please.

In the two tests Great Britain played against New Zealand in 2019 Alex Walmsley made 230 metres (67 post contact) and 40 tackles while Tetivano made 97 run metres (31 post contact) and 38 tackles.

My question is.  If Walmsley made almost two and half times more metres in the games than Tetivano, why was he 2nd best?

Because he hasn't signed for Leeds Rhino's. 

11 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

So you don't think they are maybe here because they can't get a game Down Under?

Yeah, some are but I was replying to a post of yours saying that 'any former NRL players that play in SL are only here because they can't get a run in the NRL'.

Which is incorrect.

1 minute ago, AB90 said:

7 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Fair enough but I just saying in recent times it's not really the case.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

James Maloney & Willie Tonga spring to mind.

Looking at the Catalans squads is not a bad place to start. 

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In looking through the Catalans squad I'm struggling to see any of their NRL 'big name' signings that have been 'average at best'.

If your referencing Moloney, he did play a pivotal role in leading them to the semi finals when everything was stacked against them from a Covid perspective.

There are roughly 350 full time, contracted SL players at any given time. Suggesting Moloney was 'average at best' means you think he was around the 175th best player in the competition last year! I respectfully disagree with this and would say off the top of my head that he would of been around the 6th or so best half back in SL last year (keeping in mind that there are roughly 50 halves/stand offs in SL).

All subjective obviously.

55 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Yeah, some are but I was replying to a post of yours saying that 'any former NRL players that play in SL are only here because they can't get a run in the NRL'.

Which is incorrect.

Ok, I was generalizing, rather than all of them, but the majority who come over aren't regular First Graders, either due to not being good enough or they are at the back end of their careers, and in my opinion this is how it as been for years. When we played in the winter and weren't playing at the same time of year as them, we saw some top notch players here. I think Clubs take the easy option bringing players over instead of developing home grown talent. This has over the years contributed to us never being able to beat Australia when the chips are down.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Kaisiano has hardly lit up the league and we signed Frank Paul the wrecking ball who turned out more of a beach ball and people were saying how Frank Pritchard was going to trample over everyone when Hull signed him,he was more halftrack than tank.

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

In looking through the Catalans squad I'm struggling to see any of their NRL 'big name' signings that have been 'average at best'.

If your referencing Moloney, he did play a pivotal role in leading them to the semi finals when everything was stacked against them from a Covid perspective.

There are roughly 350 full time, contracted SL players at any given time. Suggesting Moloney was 'average at best' means you think he was around the 175th best player in the competition last year! I respectfully disagree with this and would say off the top of my head that he would of been around the 6th or so best half back in SL last year (keeping in mind that there are roughly 50 halves/stand offs in SL).

All subjective obviously.

That's a long reply to somebody who didn't mention James Maloney! 

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Zane Tetevano and Alex Walmsley will be the two best prop forwards in Super League. Making metres and tackles is their number 1 job, that’s what they’re paid to do. When they meet Alex Walmsley will have to up his game after coming away 2nd best when they last met in the two New Zealand-Great Britain Internationals. 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

If making metres and tackling are the jobs of a prop could I ask you to explain something please.

In the two tests Great Britain played against New Zealand in 2019 Alex Walmsley made 230 metres (67 post contact) and 40 tackles while Tetevano made 97 run metres (31 post contact) and 38 tackles.

My question is.  If Walmsley made almost two and half times more metres in the games than Tetevano, why was he 2nd best?

I didn't come on here to argue with you about the signing of Tetevano as I said at the beginning that he was a quality prop and a good signing for Leeds.  But seeing as though you have argued that he will be the best prop in Super League alongside Alex Walmsley then let's take a look at that.

You mention three things. 1) he is a current New Zealand international, 2) metres (and tackles) are a props key role and 3) Alex Walmsley came out second best against him when Great Britain played New Zealand.

So, I had a look. 

Not only did Walmsley out perform Tetevano in the two tests against New Zealand (230 metres vs. 97 metres) here is a list of all the other Great Britain middle forwards who outperformed him as well.

Tom Burgess (201 metres), Chris Hill (143) and James Graham (130).  And yes, they all put in more tackles than Tetevano as well.  This all despite the fact that Tatevano was on the winning side.

Now, here is an interesting one.  Joe Philbin only played in one of the two games against New Zealand and ran for 112 metres so he outperformed Tetevano's two game metres in just one game.

Actually, on your advice, looking at the performances of Tetevano in those tests and the Great Britain middle forwards, I have changed my mind.  He may not be that good a signing after all if Joe Philbin is twice as good as him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 8 months later...

So, how did we think Zane Tetevano performed in his first year in Super League, did Alex Walmsley up his game enough to cope with him?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So, how did we think Zane Tetevano performed in his first year in Super League, did Alex Walmsley up his game enough to cope with him?

If they are paying him marquee wages I’d be asking for a refund,he’s been more of a pop up tent.

Tetevano has had a torid year, partly of his own making through suspension and he had Covid very badly.

He needs to put it behind him and kick on next year, he won’t be the first or last import to come over eith a big reputation and have a bad first year but then turn it around.

Archived