Championship 2021

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What has been announced if anything? 

If we can have up to 2000 that covers most clubs needs

When would fuxtures come out normally? 

I think I read somewhere there was a meeting coming up, possibly this week, to confirm the start dates. I've seen a few rumours floating round that the summer bash will take a year off, which is probably a wise move considering covid and a likely later start date,

6 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think I read somewhere there was a meeting coming up, possibly this week, to confirm the start dates. I've seen a few rumours floating round that the summer bash will take a year off, which is probably a wise move considering covid and a likely later start date,

That’s a shame, if the vaccinations are rolled out as quickly as the govt hope things might be ok by then and a weekend on the ###### in Blackpool might prove more popular than ever. 

14 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I hope it's a normal start date.... Can't see any reason why not. The crowds mean it's financially possible 

I wonder if there is still a 2000 limit come SL start if the same thing that is happening in football will happen in Champ and L1.... I.e. They might all sell their maximum they can as SL fans may come and watch if they can't get in their own stadium 

9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've disengaged from the Wolfpack stuff....are they definitely completely gone and no chance of Championship spot? 

That's a good question,  but as they have advised their fans to follow The Arrows they at least aren't too hopeful of rising pheonix like.

32 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Unless someone steps in to resurrect them in a season or 2, yes. The new owner had no interest in anything except SL.

Shame.... Most Canadian fans wouldn't really care I reckon.... They'd have famous city names they'd have heard of like Tolouse, London, York, Newcastle and..... Batley

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Unless someone steps in to resurrect them in a season or 2, yes. The new owner had no interest in anything except his grooming products business.

Edited for accuracy.

Looks to be some great squads a players for 2021.i cant wait to get sat in stands with a beer and few games, will us old duffers that should have had the jab have to sit penned in away from those not jabbed up. can we still carry the germs around on us ?.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've disengaged from the Wolfpack stuff....are they definitely completely gone and no chance of Championship spot? 

Likely to be gone for good, the truth is that sports teams come and go all the time over here so after the initial reaction of being refused re entry it all dies down very quickly. Only the loss of an NHL team would create long standing waves here so I just don’t see them ever returning, especially when you consider their main sponsor was a leisure airline, a sector hit particularly hard by Covid.

It is possible to over-estimate the beneficial effects of the vaccine and the time that it will take to roll it out. Commonsense says that it will be April or May before the over-60's have received the jab so there shouldn't be a sudden surge of spectators back into grounds. I believe that the clubs are taking this into account when mapping out their fixture plans; this will include some kind of streaming contingency in case games have to be played behind closed doors initially.

Good Friday still seems to be being bandied about as a probable start date but, in reality, nobody yet knows.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I hope it's a normal start date.... Can't see any reason why not. The crowds mean it's financially possible 

We can only wait and see.  Much depends on how the next few months go.  The vaccine won't have been rolled out by Spring.  I'm not making any plans for 2021 that I can't change.

Personally, I think it's highly unlikely that we'll start before March.    I'm tipping Good Friday, myself.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

33 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

I wouldn't expect to see the championship while furlough is available and crowds are limited.

Yeah, today's developments suggest tough restrictions will be in place well into the spring, so if longer furlough is available I can see the temptation to take it. 

I do worry though we'll reach a point where we've been away so long that a deeper disconnection with the fanbase occurs that can't be repaired. 

I really hope everywhere in the championship is down to at least tier 2  by Good Friday which is April 2nd.

34 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Yeah, today's developments suggest tough restrictions will be in place well into the spring, so if longer furlough is available I can see the temptation to take it. 

I do worry though we'll reach a point where we've been away so long that a deeper disconnection with the fanbase occurs that can't be repaired. 

I really hope everywhere in the championship is down to at least tier 2  by Good Friday which is April 2nd.

There's an element of 'if a tree falls in the forest' about starting the lower leagues when fans can't attend. If its just a result in the paper did they really even play. 

I think we have been slow to move with covid and have at each stage hoped for a best case scenario and it hasn't really worked out. 

I said at the beginning of this the lower leagues really needed to look at what they are selling and to who because their model may not come back as they have hoped. They haven't, it hasn't and 1 year not playing is bad, 2 and you are pretty much done imo. 

If it were me, I'd look to a May start, some sort of 24 club apertura/clausura format around the world cup as a one off and start looking towards a new model from 2022 onwards.

But more than likely it will carry on as before and all considerations bar which of 3 or 4 clubs get promoted to SL will be ignored. 

Archived