Championship 2021

Players will need a couple of months pre-season. They won't be getting a jab, part-timers can't isolate at home, we only have to look at SL to see the problems. 

Think it might be half a season decided on % wins maybe starting in May? Sorry to be so downbeat but will players want to risk getting the virus and spreading it to their families?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Players will need a couple of months pre-season. They won't be getting a jab, part-timers can't isolate at home, we only have to look at SL to see the problems. 

Think it might be half a season decided on % wins maybe starting in May? Sorry to be so downbeat but will players want to risk getting the virus and spreading it to their families?

There a massive practical considerations with part time players that mean its pretty much pointless (and with furlough counterproductive) to start when restrictions are still in place.

Trying to keep SL's bubble that wasn't a bubble covid free was like trying to herd cats. You'd barely get any semipro games on as semi pro players not only have training and matches for contact tracing but their day jobs, customers, friends and families. 

And what would be the point? To play none televised games in empty stadia?

9 hours ago, Griff said:

We can only wait and see.  Much depends on how the next few months go.  The vaccine won't have been rolled out by Spring.  I'm not making any plans for 2021 that I can't change.

Personally, I think it's highly unlikely that we'll start before March.    I'm tipping Good Friday, myself.

Fingers crossed

In my opinion after reading that the Government are considering a”Tier 4” which would ban commuting and would once again mean that”non essential”business has to close,I think in all honesty we could be looking at best that the season restarts in late March or early April.

And I do NOT like being downbeat as some may think I am,but I think we have to have it at the back of our minds that next season MIGHT not go ahead either.And of course I absolutely do NOT want that scenario and I hope that is not the case.

I think if 2021 season can happen and I like everyone else want nothing more than for it to do so, then it I think it will probably be a short season where everyone will play each other once.

And after that I think we could see a Scottish Premier League style split where the top seven play each other once,and vice versa for the bottom seven.

The confused governance of our land has witnessed many a false hope with regards a return to normal. Hopefully the vaccine works but I wouldn't urge anyone to get carried away with the proposed delivery dates.

The only taxi on the rank for the next 9 months has TV exclusivity emblazoned all over it. Bums on seats is way off, especially the way the general public are behaving.

Don't be surprised if radical ideas start to form about rolling out Championship Rugby League on a separate TV platform to Sky Sports.

There's already been murmuring about Quest and Freeview sniffing out the financial possibility of covering a Championship midweek based league with 3 live games and a highlights package for the remainder.

It's a fairytale objective at the moment but the longer we suffer the impasse the more the options for lifeline RL outside Super League seriously diminish.

I'd welcome a season of televised viably funded Championship Rugby League.

2022 we can see how the land lies and progress accordingly 🙂👍

On 16/12/2020 at 20:44, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If we can have up to 2000 that covers most clubs needs

It would - but, as things stand, most clubs are in tier 3 and are limited to 0.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

A contingency plan might be needed if the season starts any later than April? Mid-week games would be awkward if Toulouse are in, so the next best option might be to play each other only once, pot luck whether you get certain clubs home or away?

On 18/12/2020 at 18:27, LittleboroRoughyed said:

Oldham have started pre-season training and launched season tickets. Interestingly, season tickets will allow free viewing of streamed home and away games if Covid restrictions continue with non season ticket holders able to buy individually (price tba) therefore plans must have been developed.

Would be interesting to see the take up if it was offered across all teams. I know I'd be in

On 18/12/2020 at 22:43, Johnny Ringo said:

They say the virus is a new mutant strain, highly contagious. Will the 2021  season in Championship or League 1 even happen? 

And, with the new Sky deal for 2022 looking like it will exclude Championship clubs entirely will we restart at all?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The Championship season is now scheduled to begin in the last week of February, behind closed doors in all cases. Initially this will be early rounds of the 1895 Cup with details of league fixtures yet to be decided.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• February 27-28: Betfred Championship, Round 1
  • March 6-7: Challenge Cup, Round 1
  • March 13-14: Challenge Cup, Round 2
  • March 20-21: Betfred League 1, Round 1
  • March 27-28: Challenge Cup, Round 3
  • April 9-11: Challenge Cup, Round 4 (Betfred Super League clubs enter)

The most interesting snippet for me:

“It has also been agreed that the league table in each competition will be determined on a points percentage system, as with Betfred Super League in 2020, in recognition of the likelihood of Covid-19 remaining a factor. Again, full details of this will be finalised in the New Year, along with the testing procedures for clubs”

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

The Championship season is now scheduled to begin in the last week of February, behind closed doors in all cases. Initially this will be early rounds of the 1895 Cup with details of league fixtures yet to be decided.

I’m surprised to see the Championship starting in February when the furlough scheme is running to April. Very unlikely any fans will be allowed at games in February and perhaps even in March. 

Archived