Championship 2021

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this from someone on FB. Not sure if theres anything official but I for one will be sure to pay for games 👍

All games will be on the “Our League” app, on a pay per view bases, free to season ticket holders, so clubs will get an income if behind closed doors. Not ideal obviously but better than nothing. If you open the Rugby-League .com part at the top it has it all on there.

Championship should recommence, and maybe sell direct feeds of match coverage at a decent price, if we stagger kick off times, they may even get a higher attendance figure.

Oh, didn't the soccer Premier League try that? No, forget it, too advanced for RFL.

9 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Just saw this from someone on FB. Not sure if theres anything official but I for one will be sure to pay for games 👍

All games will be on the “Our League” app, on a pay per view bases, free to season ticket holders, so clubs will get an income if behind closed doors. Not ideal obviously but better than nothing. If you open the Rugby-League .com part at the top it has it all on there.

Yep. That was all on the press release

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57509/betfred-championship-scheduled-for-february-return

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

The Championship season is now scheduled to begin in the last week of February, behind closed doors in all cases. Initially this will be early rounds of the 1895 Cup with details of league fixtures yet to be decided.

don't see the point of the 1895 cup. It's a loss leader as it is, nobody bothers with those games except a few die-hards here and there.

Playing 1895 behind closed doors would just be like normal, might as well wait until 1st April and start the leagues then

3 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

don't see the point of the 1895 cup. It's a loss leader as it is, nobody bothers with those games except a few die-hards here and there.

Playing 1895 behind closed doors would just be like normal, might as well wait until 1st April and start the leagues then

It’s only been played once. I think it’s a bit early to write it off. Part of the issue last year was the midweek games as it wasn’t integrated into the season. There’s no reason that with a few tweaks it can be a decent comp in its own right

Can I ask have you read the press release? If so you’d understand dropping the 1895 cup wouldn’t mean being able to start in April 

29 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

We are 2 sides down with Toronto and Ottawa gone. That was not a decision the RFL made.

Playing every other team 3 times would give 27 games, almost perfectly in line with the rest of the pyramid. Most league 1 fans would agree loop fixtures are preferable to such a short season.

36 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’m surprised to see the Championship starting in February when the furlough scheme is running to April. Very unlikely any fans will be allowed at games in February and perhaps even in March. 

I believe that is what "behind closed doors" means, or am I wrong?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Yes, my original post has proved to be inaccurate. The 1895 cup will only involve 4 teams as detailed in the press release:

Betfred Championship scheduled for February return (rugby-league.com)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

36 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But they did decide to start in Feb. This sport...

The decision has been made by the clubs.

This sport's supporters............................................

14 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

1895 cup.

only 3 games 2 semis same day as challenge cup semis and final at wembley so hardly a loss leader

I think the proposed eighteen game season in League One isn’t actually that much of a bad thing.

UK based Super League clubs managed between sixteen and nineteen games this year and each week we seemed to have players dropping like flies and changes to the fixtures and these were full-time professionals. With League One players, they’re part-time and have proper jobs, so theoretically should be exposed to the risks more than full time players. 

This now means clubs have to be creative with how they generate income. Salford’s idea of buying “a pint” etc was a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well the owners and the supporters aren't the same are they? But let's park that, of more interest is the PPV option on the OURLEAGUE App, so guess they are looking to push it to see what data they can gleam before the money ends next year. 

Thanks for reinforcing my opinion.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:
  • February 27-28: Betfred Championship, Round 1
  • March 6-7: Challenge Cup, Round 1
  • March 13-14: Challenge Cup, Round 2
  • March 20-21: Betfred League 1, Round 1
  • March 27-28: Challenge Cup, Round 3
  • April 9-11: Challenge Cup, Round 4 (Betfred Super League clubs enter)

It's good to be optimistic.

But you need to be realistic too.

We could be moving to Tier 4* on Saturday.

*By which I don't mean the tier below Betfred League 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Announcements now about Tiers. Not much change in the North from what I gather 

Fair enough.

What about next week ?

A week ago, we were all planning a five day party.

Things change.

Rapidly.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Griff said:

Fair enough.

What about next week ?

A week ago, we were all planning a five day party.

Things change.

Rapidly.

Yep. At least there’s a framework in place, it can be altered as new things come up. I expect this is “best case scenario”

Archived