London Broncos Moving Update

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

They’ve played at The Stoop within those 20 years so it’s not always been in West London

Mate I used to live in Ealing, the Stoop was a 15-20 min drive for me... it’s in West London, and I drove past Brentford’s ground on the way n’all; they’ve been within a very small radius for a long time 🙄

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I don't wish to sound rude or unsympathetic, HK, but are you in danger of pandering to nesh Londoners?

As far as I can see, Barnet to Wimbledon - the instance you cite - is a single, no changes, tube journey of an hour in each direction.  Even on a Sunday, there appears to be a train every fifteen minutes before 6am.

Sorry if I sound a tad unsympathetic, but I used to have London office colleagues whose idea of a transport crisis seemed to be having to wait at least ten minutes for a tube train in the rush hour.  Given we worked for a rural areas agency, i did sometimes invite them to consider the dilemma of someone whose market days only bus service had just been withdrawn, or there were no buses home from the nearest larger town after about 4.30pm, so you couldn't use public transport for journeys to and from work.

I think transport problems are, like beauty, very much in the eye of the beholder.  Londoners have it on a plate, as far as I can see, but don't always get that.

Incidentally, your pen name suggests that you may be a fan of York City Knights.  If so, isn't your round trip to home matches about 50 miles, the same as Barnet to and from Wimbledon?

From my point and side of things its more when they seem to be establishing a home and base at a set place be that Fulham, Twickenham, Barnet or Ealing they are planning or have moved out. If they built up a fan base in Barnet you are then moving them with 2 hours travelling time if they went by the tube. They need to find a place long term and build the links from there settle down and be in that area for a number of years. If we drive to York it's a round trip of 35 miles and under 30 mins each way, I can be home before 5:30pm if the game kicks off at 3pm. The train is pointless as on a Sunday its one service an hour

As far as I can remember the Broncos got a bigger average attendance at Trailfinders  in 2019 than they did at Barnet in 2014. The highest attendance at Trailfinders ( Leeds ) was also higher than their highest attendance at the hive (Wigan ). 

Things have improved dramatically on and off the pitch in the last five years., why change yet again now?

As has already mentioned it will take more than shiny seats and a good public transport connection to create a well attended club. Without Melbourne Storm type backing I really cannot see the purpose of this move at all . There will not be a guaranteed 10 year lease in any case so in the long run this may actually be a harmful move. I would be trying to sign a 10 or 15 year deal at Trailfinders myself.

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Mate I used to live in Ealing, the Stoop was a 15-20 min drive for me... it’s in West London, and I drove past Brentford’s ground on the way n’all; they’ve been within a very small radius for a long time 🙄

I thought Twickenham was in South West London ...

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is there not a team based on Clapham Common? I’m sure I read that there was a Challenge Cup game held there a few years ago, recently when I was on Wiki. 

6 hours ago, RoverBear said:

The Chargers (and previous forms thereof) trained there (and poss still do). They play in Motspur park I believe. 

They moved their Challenge Cup game against us in 2019 from Clapham Common to Trailfindets.

39 minutes ago, Click said:

I thought Twickenham was in South West London ...

Jeez I think we’re getting focused on linguistic semantics now. Ealing-Brentford-Twickenham are in the same part of London within a 20 minute spread. I lived there, I’ve been to all 3 grounds.

In northern terms it’s like playing at 3 grounds in different parts of Hull. Wimbledon on the other hand is like Hull KR relocating to Leeds instead. If that doesn’t help people get it, nowt will 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

As mentioned, there wasn't a vote tonight but the 'temperature test' of Wimbledon fans is showing nearly four-fifths are in support of a groundshare and that has given the board confidence to move forward.

Both chief execs are massively keen on it. Broncos think they can get 3-3.5k crowds at first but will grow from that. 

Interestingly, Wimbledon rushed out the news because Sky Sports were about to publish a story last weekend that it was a done deal. It isn't but there is a heads of terms agreement. They were first approached in the summer before the 12th Super League club vote was even a thing. 

Before it's a done deal it needs a formal vote of fans, agreement from Galliard Homes (who are building the flats next to the ground), and planning permission from Merton Council.

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

As mentioned, there wasn't a vote tonight but the 'temperature test' of Wimbledon fans is showing nearly four-fifths are in support of a groundshare and that has given the board confidence to move forward.

Both chief execs are massively keen on it. Broncos think they can get 3-3.5k crowds at first but will grow from that. 

Interestingly, Wimbledon rushed out the news because Sky Sports were about to publish a story last weekend that it was a done deal. It isn't but there is a heads of terms agreement. They were first approached in the summer before the 12th Super League club vote was even a thing. 

Before it's a done deal it needs a formal vote of fans, agreement from Galliard Homes (who are building the flats next to the ground), and planning permission from Merton Council.

Sounds like a done deal then?

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I would never call anything reliant on planning permission in London a done deal. But as far as an agreement between the Broncos and Wimbledon, yes, it's looking good.

Or not good, depending on your point of view...

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Given current crowds are about 800, on what basis do the Broncos bosses think they will get 3-3.5k fans. I hope it's more than "we've got a new stadium". 

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

Given current crowds are about 800, on what basis do the Broncos bosses think they will get 3-3.5k fans. I hope it's more than "we've got a new stadium". 

I am just reporting what the chief executive of Wimbledon said tonight, which was that Broncos expect crowds of at least 3k to 3.5k at Plough Lane. Nobody from Broncos was speaking. 

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Jeez I think we’re getting focused on linguistic semantics now. Ealing-Brentford-Twickenham are in the same part of London within a 20 minute spread. I lived there, I’ve been to all 3 grounds.

In northern terms it’s like playing at 3 grounds in different parts of Hull. Wimbledon on the other hand is like Hull KR relocating to Leeds instead. If that doesn’t help people get it, nowt will 

The Stoop is 7 miles away from Trailfinders, 9 miles from Plough Lane

Trailfinders is 12 miles from Plough Lane.

New Craven Park is 67 miles from Headingley.

Great comparison.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah I very much got the sense that the Wimbledon release to their members was pre-emptive move bc of a leak to guide the narrative that it isn't a done deal. Also explains to an extent why the Broncos have been quiet on this too.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Great comparison.

Exactly! A better one could be the 3 Wakefield MDC clubs for the relatively weak point 

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

Great comparison.

I’ve lived in Hull. I’ve lived in London. I’ve done all those journeys. It’s the time it takes not the distance... but yeah your ability to do a search on Google maps trumps the real world la! 😂

We have this discussion on here when the Broncos move, every few years. The repetition is wearisome.

When the Broncos do finally get around to telling us what they're planning, I can guarantee the statement will sound almost identical to Man of Kent's posts on here: "lovely stadium" "chance to grow" "wonderful opportunity" "increased crowds" "SL club" "ambition" blah blah blah. It's the same thing they say every time we move, but there's never a single word about how they actually plan to bring improvements beyond the ridiculous notion of "people will come". I've seen this so many times now and it's always the same thing. I've had enough of it. It's BS.

You know, if the club could show even some semblance of having a functioning front office:

- decent communications (not even great, just decent would suffice) with their fanbase. By the way, this doesn't include a loud-mouthed employee going onto the fans' forum and trolling people

- a marketing approach that consisted of more than putting up a 6x2 poster outside a church in Ealing Broadway at the end (!) of their first season and handing out flyers outside Richmond train station (5miles from Ealing and not on the same train line) during the Super 8s

- a merchandising operation that wasn't used to prop up the business of one of the club's employees

- a commercial effort that even touched upon the thousands of businesses on their doorstep. 30 seconds online takes you to West London Business, which represents 7 Boroughs and over 100,000 businesses - every RL club in the country would kill for access to that sort of resource and yet the club hasn't even begun tapping into it

Perhaps then, and only then, I might listen to what they have to say about another relocation. But no, we get more guff about averaging 3,000 once we've moved. It's nonsense. There is no point moving whatsoever whilst they continue to operate as a shell of a club. It's a joke to even consider it. Three years from now we'll all be sat here discussing another move. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I’ve lived in Hull. I’ve lived in London. I’ve done all those journeys. It’s the time it takes not the distance... but yeah your ability to do a search on Google maps trumps the real world la! 😂

If it’s any consolation I know exactly what you mean. I live in London Borough of Ealing and Wimbledon does feel like a completely different area to the others particularly Brentford and Ealing.

5 hours ago, nadera78 said:
5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

We have this discussion on here when the Broncos move, every few years. The repetition is wearisome.

When the Broncos do finally get around to telling us what they're planning, I can guarantee the statement will sound almost identical to Man of Kent's posts on here: "lovely stadium" "chance to grow" "wonderful opportunity" "increased crowds" "SL club" "ambition" blah blah blah. It's the same thing they say every time we move, but there's never a single word about how they actually plan to bring improvements beyond the ridiculous notion of "people will come". I've seen this so many times now and it's always the same thing. I've had enough of it. It's BS.

The usual argument is that we only receive income from tickets and season tickets  and do not get any of the bar receipts.  . Mark Rammond is strongly pushing this line on Facebook at the moment. I am sure that this was all said when we left the Stoop and when we left the Hive

Archived