London Broncos Moving Update

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well no, in RL alone, renovating or moving grounds has had an upwards effect on crowds at most clubs. Partly because improved facilities are easier to sell, and partly because it usually coincides with a growth mindset at a given club.

Renovating grounds, sure. Indeed, that is exactly what I'm arguing for!

Moving to a new build stadium on or near the current site can also deliver a temporary uplift, sometimes longer lasting.

But this is a relocation - a category that is wholly different to a renovation or new build on/close to the old site.

London does relocations. And does them poorly. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changing the venue just changes the details of the last part of the journey for the VAST majority of supporters; if you're coming from Blackpool or Nottingham or Wakefield (this is home supporters I'm talking about not away), or even "locally" from Dorset, Hampshire or Kent, the location of the stadium is incidental. We're 40 years in and still no idea - if there was motivation to build grassroots as has been suggested above then a professional and open soul-searching exercise would be undertaken, and this would take probably a year to undertake and with no holds barred. The Broncos is a TEAM not a club (it seems they've even fell out with the "Official" Supporters Group now without a game being played) and the only consideration is a place to play for the first team and to show supposed Super League aspirations.

Here's what concerns me.

We're moving to a new stadium because: (1) this is a brand new start for the club!; (2) we can do a whole range of commercial/community/other things at the new stadium that we were chomping at the bit to do but the old landlord wouldn't allow; (3) our new landlord has bought into our vision and will help us build crowds; (4) you know what - this could well be our forever home.

Each and every time. Copy and paste.

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Here's what concerns me.

We're moving to a new stadium because: (1) this is a brand new start for the club!; (2) we can do a whole range of commercial/community/other things at the new stadium that we were chomping at the bit to do but the old landlord wouldn't allow; (3) our new landlord has bought into our vision and will help us build crowds; (4) you know what - this could well be our forever home.

Yes. There is usually something about keeping the bar receipts as well!

3 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Renovating grounds, sure. Indeed, that is exactly what I'm arguing for!

Moving to a new build stadium on or near the current site can also deliver a temporary uplift, sometimes longer lasting.

But this is a relocation - a category that is wholly different to a renovation or new build on/close to the old site.

London does relocations. And does them poorly. 

Option 1 is impossible. I think Mr Trailfinders accepts that.

Brentford is near the current site.

I agree London have done moves poorly. That does not change my original point that a new/expanded stadium with better facilities helps attract more fans (9 times out of 10).

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Spot on - This was the spiel given out when the club moved to the Twickenham Stoop from Griffin Park for the rent free deal that wasn't when rebranding as Harlequins RL (or Harlequins Rugby Lessons to the local youth).

I am struggling to understand how if you are the tenant you can achieve " our ambitious corporate and commercial plans to develop." bearing in mind you are paying more in rent. Thopugh with a 9,500 stadium and Championship RL social distancing in the stand will probably not be an issue.

Allegations  have been made about the running of the new Official Supporters Club, which I will not alarm the Webmaster by repeating here. Suffice to say the London Broncos contacted another messageboards administrators to delete the post concerned claiming it was libellous. It is however a sad time when a couple who have supported the club for 25 years and volunteered to be on the OSG Committee feel they can no longer support the club.

Contact between the declining fanbase and the Club has been an issue since the Lenagan / Hogg era of glasnot and peristroika it does not appear to be getting any better.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Well no, in RL alone, renovating or moving grounds has had an upwards effect on crowds at most clubs. Partly because improved facilities are easier to sell, and partly because it usually coincides with a growth mindset at a given club.

I guess this makes sense to a point but.... 

It is about 40 mins drive extra for me.... A journey of 50 mins door to door (as I park being Trailfinders clubhouse) is now 1 hour 30 mins and I'm assuming I won't be able to park directly at the stadium at WAFC - I'm guessing it will be best part of a 2 hour door to seat experience.... In addition ET has loads of space for kids to run around and play and a great bar to spend time in after... Not sure Plough Lane has that? 

I'm sure some people may be closer with the move but from the people I know most will find it harder

I bring my kids and can't justify 3 hours of their Sunday in a car.... And that is assuming traffic is OK.... Which it often isn't 

I'll probably go to half the games

18 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I guess this makes sense to a point but.... 

It is about 40 mins drive extra for me.... A journey of 50 mins door to door (as I park being Trailfinders clubhouse) is now 1 hour 30 mins and I'm assuming I won't be able to park directly at the stadium at WAFC - I'm guessing it will be best part of a 2 hour door to seat experience.... In addition ET has loads of space for kids to run around and play and a great bar to spend time in after... Not sure Plough Lane has that? 

I'm sure some people may be closer with the move but from the people I know most will find it harder

I bring my kids and can't justify 3 hours of their Sunday in a car.... And that is assuming traffic is OK.... Which it often isn't 

I'll probably go to half the games

I agree that is clearly a problem with Wimbledon, the post I was responding to was about Brentford.

5 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Here's what concerns me.

There's usually also some spiel about making full use of the matchday facilities too which, by match three, will have been entirely forgotten.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

Maybe they’re trying to negotiate a better deal at Trailfinders?

It feels like a done deal tbh. They say they're moving to a new training ground too, so that's another cost and an indicator that Trailfinders is history.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 02/01/2021 at 11:18, Tommygilf said:

Didn't happen at the Hive.

9 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Didn't happen at the Hive.

Yes, because they were utterly woeful and changed their name!

And the Hive was an example of relocation, as it wasn't an uprgrade from the Stoop, so not quite the same concept.

36 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I’ve always wondered what the profit would likely be at the bar for an average Broncos match? Any rough ideas?

I assume it would be nominal. 

Well wasn't it around 5 pound a pint last year ?

Always packed say at least 200 drinkers min 3/4 pints each (Work that one out:)))))

12 hours ago, Southerner said:

I’ve always wondered what the profit would likely be at the bar for an average Broncos match? Any rough ideas?

I assume it would be nominal. 

If bar takings were unimportant you wouldn't have clubs desperate to have their bars open when fans return.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not looked into what effect it will have on me personnel but did find going out to Trailfinders a pain in the neck especially on a Sunday never understood why you didn't play your games on a Saturday? when the railway station was open, after a long trip up from Devon then a trip out to your place by tube then bus because station was closed on a Sunday.

So next time up in London to watch Dewsbury will it  be trip out to Trailfinders or to the Wombels ?

14 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

Not looked into what effect it will have on me personnel but did find going out to Trailfinders a pain in the neck especially on a Sunday never understood why you didn't play your games on a Saturday? when the railway station was open, after a long trip up from Devon then a trip out to your place by tube then bus because station was closed on a Sunday.

So next time up in London to watch Dewsbury will it  be trip out to Trailfinders or to the Wombels ?

I know the seasons don't completely cross over, but Ealing RU tend to play homes games on Saturdays

In answer to the question on Saturday matchdays , During the Quins RL era Saturday was the matchday for London Broncos, the view was taken at the time that there would be a crossover between Harlequins RU fans and Quins RL. With Rugby Union clubs matchdays on Saturdays.

Since then and the ownership having reverted back to ex-Charlon Athletic Director David Hughes, the view has been that you attract soccer fans by playing on a Sunday. That and of course the infamous admission for £ 5 if you wore a Soccer shirt that took place while still at the Stoop.

The thing is though there has not been a crossover from fans of any other sport in any significant number to London Broncos just a lot of very cross Bronco fans at present.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

In answer to the question on Saturday matchdays , During the Quins RL era Saturday was the matchday for London Broncos, the view was taken at the time that there would be a crossover between Harlequins RU fans and Quins RL. With Rugby Union clubs matchdays on Saturdays.

Since then and the ownership having reverted back to ex-Charlon Athletic Director David Hughes, the view has been that you attract soccer fans by playing on a Sunday. That and of course the infamous admission for £ 5 if you wore a Soccer shirt that took place while still at the Stoop.

The thing is though there has not been a crossover from fans of any other sport in any significant number to London Broncos just a lot of very cross Bronco fans at present.

Skolars also seem to have “claimed” Saturday’s, I don’t know if that was due to a discussion between the two clubs or not. 

26 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Skolars also seem to have “claimed” Saturday’s, I don’t know if that was due to a discussion between the two clubs or not. 

Skolars usually try to play on whichever day Broncos aren't playing as it is beyond the whit of the fixtures planners to have them play at home on alternative weekends

Archived