London Broncos Moving Update

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

That and of course the infamous admission for £ 5 if you wore a Soccer shirt that took place while still at the Stoop.

Ha, I remember that promo! The club took a photo of me and few pals in our football shirts and posted it on the website in the week.

I wore a Real Betis top and the caption just said "mystery shirt". Cheeky sods.

On 02/01/2021 at 14:44, Tommygilf said:

Option 1 is impossible. I think Mr Trailfinders accepts that.

Brentford is near the current site.

I agree London have done moves poorly. That does not change my original point that a new/expanded stadium with better facilities helps attract more fans (9 times out of 10).

Or possibly they moved as best they could...

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Or possibly they moved as best they could...

I think each location has had its merits at the time, but evidently they haven't been communicated effectively to their fans. The two don't contradict eachother.

On 03/01/2021 at 19:06, ATLANTISMAN said:

Well wasn't it around 5 pound a pint last year ?

Always packed say at least 200 drinkers min 3/4 pints each (Work that one out:)))))

£5 retail?  What's the profit after the rent rates salary etc?  Wet trade pubs are going out of business.  If everthing is done for free and take off the wholesale costs it might be worth more. 

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think each location has had its merits at the time, but evidently they haven't been communicated effectively to their fans. The two don't contradict eachother.

Indeed.

How ever 'London' is a big place.  It's the only club in town.  So wherever it goes its a stretch for many 'London' RL supporters.

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Indeed.

How ever 'London' is a big place.  It's the only club in town.  So wherever it goes its a stretch for many 'London' RL supporters.

Absolutely but if Leeds were planning on moving to Garforth for a year then switching to playing in Bramley I'd hope there would be communication with the fans over that beyond a tweet or other clubs releasing it.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely but if Leeds were planning on moving to Garforth for a year then switching to playing in Bramley I'd hope there would be communication with the fans over that beyond a tweet or other clubs releasing it.

Yes.  But officially they have not moved yet have they?

But yes that's true, and clearly there is some issue with the supporters club. Not helped when ownership changes.

London are and have been for a long time, maybe for ever, caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.  It is chronically short of investment and if it had it, it has few places to put it.  Twin Towers of despair.

I am always dubious of strategies that seem geared heavily towards attracting supporters of Football or RU clubs. For many people money is tight and many can barely afford to watch one sport live, never mind two. I am sure not many on here would necessarily watch their local RU or Football team just because it plays on a different day or gives cheaper tickets. There may be some very limited crossover but it shouldn't be a core strategy and lets face it a few fans buying heavily subsidised tickets for the likes of £5 hardly gets the coffers flowing.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I am always dubious of strategies that seem geared heavily towards attracting supporters of Football or RU clubs. For many people money is tight and many can barely afford to watch one sport live, never mind two. I am sure not many on here would necessarily watch their local RU or Football team just because it plays on a different day or gives cheaper tickets. There may be some very limited crossover but it shouldn't be a core strategy and lets face it a few fans buying heavily subsidised tickets for the likes of £5 hardly gets the coffers flowing.

When Quins RL did the £5 tickets for folk wearing football shirts, a few of my mates came along as it was so cheap but never came back.

And as for the RU/RL double headers, the biggest integration between fans was at full-time in the RU game as they walked out of the ground and the RL fans walked in.

1 hour ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

When Quins RL did the £5 tickets for folk wearing football shirts, a few of my mates came along as it was so cheap but never came back.

And as for the RU/RL double headers, the biggest integration between fans was at full-time in the RU game as they walked out of the ground and the RL fans walked in.

I saw that for myself. Harlequins RU v Leeds Tykes followed by Harlequins RL v St Helens. 13k at the RU game who were allowed to stay in  FOC for the RL game. At the final whistle they were streaming out.

6 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I saw that for myself. Harlequins RU v Leeds Tykes followed by Harlequins RL v St Helens. 13k at the RU game who were allowed to stay in  FOC for the RL game. At the final whistle they were streaming out.

There was plenty of Saints fan, myself included, that chose to drink/eat in Twickenham High Street and then walk up to the ground for the RU finishing and ended up walking in for nothing. 

29 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Yeah, that's the game I was thinking of!

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Indeed.

Skolars ?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes.  But officially they have not moved yet have they?

But yes that's true, and clearly there is some issue with the supporters club. Not helped when ownership changes.

London are and have been for a long time, maybe for ever, caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.  It is chronically short of investment and if it had it, it has few places to put it.  Twin Towers of despair.

But evidently they are considering it strongly enough to make overtures to at least 2 candidates - and have moved several times before without saying anything! 

It can be an issue when ownership changes, but London have been ran by Hughes for well over a decade now?

I agree London has a lot of barriers particularly financial, none of those would stop the club being a bit better on fan engagement or comms though.

5 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

IIRC there was something like a 90-120 minute gap between one finishing and the second kicking off, hardly conducive to making you want to stay.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

4 minutes ago, BJW said:

IIRC there was something like a 90-120 minute gap between one finishing and the second kicking off, hardly conducive to making you want to stay.

There was a gap, but I can't remember how long it was, but there were plenty of food and drink kiosks and the Bars were all open. There was four of us who totally enjoyed the occasion. Interestingly, the majority of RL fans rolled up after the RU, which shows, a lot of fans won't watch the other Code.

Huddersfield Giants was also a double header if my brain is correct the match before was Harlequins v Plymouth Albion (Graham Dawe came on as a sub at age around 48) I remember having a few beers with the Plymouth fans before the match really nice bunch no different to League fans at all.

Announced as 12000 (Which there was for the Union match which was awful) around 4000 at the League match.

Paul

On 07/01/2021 at 14:50, Tommygilf said:

I agree London has a lot of barriers particularly financial, none of those would stop the club being a bit better on fan engagement or comms though.

On the non playing side, the club seem to be run on a very very low budget with hardly any back room staff. Just seen they have made the ‘media manager’ role redundant as well.

David Hughes has kept the club going & invested millions - the costs of running scholarship/academy/reserves must be significant & unsustainable on a very small fan base without Hughes investments.

The 1st team are no longer training at Trailfinders could this be due to cutbacks and the reason for the new training facilities/potential Wimbledon game day stadium a cheaper option? (or could it be that Trailfinders & their union premiership aspirations no longer want Broncos at Trailfinders?)

38 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

On the non playing side, the club seem to be run on a very very low budget with hardly any back room staff. Just seen they have made the ‘media manager’ role redundant as well.

David Hughes has kept the club going & invested millions - the costs of running scholarship/academy/reserves must be significant & unsustainable on a very small fan base without Hughes investments.

The 1st team are no longer training at Trailfinders could this be due to cutbacks and the reason for the new training facilities/potential Wimbledon game day stadium a cheaper option? (or could it be that Trailfinders & their union premiership aspirations no longer want Broncos at Trailfinders?)

I doubt the latter is true, if anything I think Trailfinders will be scaling back their ambition.

Looking from the outside it seems Hughes has had his investment priorities a bit too heavily weighted towards the playing squad for some time now. The other back room roles, particularly the (social)media etc type jobs, are the ones with potentially the biggest returns for the club. Arguably there is also a valid point that given the national interest of the game then the RFL/Super League should be helping the Broncos on that front. These are the sort of "soft power" roles that help massively with fan engagement and general positivity which is hard to put a price on. 

Looking at the example of Toronto, the off field promotion of the club in the initial seasons was as important as the on field performance (in terms of financials at least) as they recognised they needed to do something to stand out and get punters in. For all that they are the number one expansion club in arguably the most important market for RL to be successful in, London have hardly been dynamic or creative for a sustained period in recent times to get people in.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I doubt the latter is true, if anything I think Trailfinders will be scaling back their ambition.

Looking from the outside it seems Hughes has had his investment priorities a bit too heavily weighted towards the playing squad for some time now. The other back room roles, particularly the (social)media etc type jobs, are the ones with potentially the biggest returns for the club. Arguably there is also a valid point that given the national interest of the game then the RFL/Super League should be helping the Broncos on that front. These are the sort of "soft power" roles that help massively with fan engagement and general positivity which is hard to put a price on. 

Looking at the example of Toronto, the off field promotion of the club in the initial seasons was as important as the on field performance (in terms of financials at least) as they recognised they needed to do something to stand out and get punters in. For all that they are the number one expansion club in arguably the most important market for RL to be successful in, London have hardly been dynamic or creative for a sustained period in recent times to get people in.

This is a really good point, for pretty much their entire existence it appears that London has been focused on what happens on the field rather than paying attention to building up the off field side, very much a build it and they will come approach rather than trying to attract customers. Had there ever been any form of effective and competent off field set up in place then things could have turned out very differently and although Toronto were also a basket case with some of their off field operations they did do a great job in promoting the sport to a new audience and built a fan base, whereas London seems to at best ignore, at worst alienate the fans they already have then wonder why things turn out badly.

2 hours ago, dead man inc said:

Just seen they have made the ‘media manager’ role redundant as well.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wasn't media management one of the big failings of the club, according to Broncos fans?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived