London Broncos Moving Update

The point I would re-make here is a strategic one. The Broncos have been at TFSG since 2016 and have incrementally built the fanbase at the same time as incrementally improving the facilities. Alongside that, they've built up a successful academy system and got closer than ever to the community game.

This has been an evolutionary process but, on all measures, things have slowly and modestly been getting better. And the idea that TFSG is now at its limit of development just isn't true. A new stand has been built, extra toilets have been added, outdoor bars are now in place, a big screen has been added. Sure, there IS an absolute limit to growth at TFSG but we're not there yet. Nor do the ambitious union tenants feel that the limit has been reached - see the addition of the aforementioned big screen in late 2020.

We seem to have found a home at which we're growing year-on-year (utterly, fantastically remarkable in our history - please dont underestimate this), where our vision for the club/ground is apparently matched by the other tenant, where there is a demonstrable record of ongoing ground improvement (not enough toilets - fixed; not enough bars/catering - fixed; not enough seats for a 2.5k crowd - fixed; no big screen - fixed; not enough seats/standing for a 3-5k crowd - fixable).

It's really not clear to me how the move to TFSG could have gone any better. We've seen textbook sustainable, linear growth.

And yet the club, in all its wisdom, feels that the past 5 years has been a mistake and wants to take us back to 2016 and start from scratch in a different part of London. To top it off, they want this re-boot to happen in the middle of a pandemic. And the justification for rewinding 5 years of development? The claim that in some hypothetical future where the team gets promoted, empty blue seats will look so much better on TV.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

The point I would re-make here is a strategic one. The Broncos have been at TFSG since 2016 and have incrementally built the fanbase at the same time as incrementally improving the facilities. Alongside that, they've built up a successful academy system and got closer than ever to the community game.

This has been an evolutionary process but, on all measures, things have slowly and modestly been getting better. And the idea that TFSG is now at its limit of development just isn't true. A new stand has been built, extra toilets have been added, outdoor bars are now in place, a big screen has been added. Sure, there IS an absolute limit to growth at TFSG but we're not there yet. Nor do the ambitious union tenants feel that the limit has been reached - see the addition of the aforementioned big screen in late 2020.

We seem to have found a home at which we're growing year-on-year (utterly, fantastically remarkable in our history - please dont underestimate this), where our vision for the club/ground is apparently matched by the other tenant, where there is a demonstrable record of ongoing ground improvement (not enough toilets - fixed; not enough bars/catering - fixed; not enough seats for a 2.5k crowd - fixed; no big screen - fixed; not enough seats/standing for a 3-5k crowd - fixable).

It's really not clear to me how the move to TFSG could have gone any better. We've seen textbook sustainable, linear growth.

And yet the club, in all its wisdom, feels that the past 5 years has been a mistake and wants to take us back to 2016 and start from scratch in a different part of London. To top it off, they want this re-boot to happen in the middle of a pandemic. And the justification for rewinding 5 years of development? The claim that in some hypothetical future where the team gets promoted, empty blue seats will look so much better on TV.

Every. Single. Word.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

And in the process thrown away 18m worth of hard fought junior development. It still baffles and to an extent angers me.  

1 minute ago, Wire quin said:

We can pontificate on what we think is best for the club, plus individual preference. What we don't know is what has gone on behind the scenes with both Trailfinders and the RFL, and/or what David Hughes ambitions are. 

That's a valid point, but primarily exposes the weakness of the communications and stakeholder engagement throughout this period. Not that I expected much, but still. 

Back in the real world:

'Joe (Palmer, the AFCW chief exec) confirmed that Merton Council was supportive and that he had been urged to send a letter to the new leader of the Council. Joe added that the Council would bear the insignificant costs of planning consultations...

'Joe added that Broncos had explicitly said that their fans would not be allowed to return before ours and that if the closed doors policy extended into summer, AFCW season-ticket holders would be given free entry and Broncos would wear a dedicated blue and yellow third kit.'

https://thedonstrust.org/files/2020-12-16-Minutes-redacted.pdf

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

'Joe added that Broncos had explicitly said that their fans would not be allowed to return before ours and that if the closed doors policy extended into summer, AFCW season-ticket holders would be given free entry and Broncos would wear a dedicated blue and yellow third kit.'

And this is the real world?

Would Dave Beasant be available to take part in a ceremonial kick-off?

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Ealing is a dead end, chief. 

You have an agenda. Most LB supporters on here can see the bigger picture and are frustrated about everything we lose that has been steadily built up over the years, whereas your primary thought is AFCW is nearer to your house.

To WQ point, yes we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. Could it be the case that the we have peed off yet another landlord as a result of a complete lack of strategic thinking ?

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

The way Wimbledon are going in the league they may become more desperate to get London in.

Their fans on this thread are certainly showing that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

You have an agenda. Most LB supporters on here can see the bigger picture and are frustrated about everything we lose that has been steadily built up over the years, whereas your primary thought is AFCW is nearer to your house.

I’ve been saying for years that Ealing is a dead end. It’ll never be adequate. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Back in the real world:

'Joe (Palmer, the AFCW chief exec) confirmed that Merton Council was supportive and that he had been urged to send a letter to the new leader of the Council. Joe added that the Council would bear the insignificant costs of planning consultations...

https://thedonstrust.org/files/2020-12-16-Minutes-redacted.pdf

So to get this right, if fans are allowed to return to sporting events in the summer, after the football season has finished, then the Broncos will continue to play before empty stands until the autumn - and lose out on desperately needed revenue - so as not to upset AFC Wimbledon supporters? 

This is a joke.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

28 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

So to get this right, if fans are allowed to return to sporting events in the summer, after the football season has finished, then the Broncos will continue to play before empty stands until the autumn - and lose out on desperately needed revenue - so as not to upset AFC Wimbledon supporters? 

This is a joke.

I dont think that was what was said, but I dont mind it being clarified.

But the comments on here are all one eyed.  People criticise MoK, saying he talks just because he lives near Wimbledon, but others are happy to be close to Ealing and others openly are prejudiced because they like a cosy life chatting in the bar.

But surely the point about Broncos is that it is, or should be, the big RL team for London and South East.  As such it should have ambition. (to be fair it does need investment)

However as evidenced on here many have zero ambition and despise those who have.

35 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

This is a joke.

Goodness me, Broncos fans can be negative nellies!

Surely it means Broncos would play in a Wimbledon-style kit this summer with their fans getting in for free.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

I dont think that was what was said, but I dont mind it being clarified.

But the comments on here are all one eyed.  People criticise MoK, saying he talks just because he lives near Wimbledon, but others are happy to be close to Ealing and others openly are prejudiced because they like a cosy life chatting in the bar.

But surely the point about Broncos is that it is, or should be, the big RL team for London and South East.  As such it should have ambition. (to be fair it does need investment)

However as evidenced on here many have zero ambition and despise those who have.

For the record I live in Kent, near the East Sussex border. Neither Ealing nor Wimbledon are down the road (although I admit Wimbledon is much easier to get to, but then so it is for most people who live in London/SE).

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

For the record I live in Kent, near the East Sussex border. Neither Ealing nor Wimbledon are down the road (although I admit Wimbledon is much easier to get to, but then so it is for most people who live in London/SE).

You're also, it appears, first and foremost a Wimbledon fan? Hence being involved with the Trust meetings where this is being discussed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

But surely the point about Broncos is that it is, or should be, the big RL team for London and South East.

No. The point is that it's a rugby league team playing rugby league. If we're an expansion dream for The Game then, I'm afraid, the game should, collectively, be paying for that.

As it is, Archie's point about the past five years is spot on and what is being thrown away is absolutely spot on.

49 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

This is a joke.

Or, something about letting them in for free so they can see us play in a special blue and yellow kit?

Re. what seems to be the bizarre agreement re. fans.

Supposing our first home game with fans is early June 2021 and that we are allowed 1000 in the ground (plausible IMO). Am I to understand that Broncos season ticket holders may not be allowed in because priority will be given to AFCW supporters wanting to soak up the stadium atmosphere whilst a different code of football (but with the home side cunningly wearing some kind of AFCW tribute kit in order to distract from the fact) goes on in the background?

And two weeks later we repeat this for the next thousand AFCW supporters?

This is dafter than I ever could have imagined!

9 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Re. what seems to be the bizarre agreement re. fans.

Supposing our first home game with fans is early June 2021 and that we are allowed 1000 in the ground (plausible IMO). Am I to understand that Broncos season ticket holders may not be allowed in because priority will be given to AFCW supporters wanting to soak up the stadium atmosphere whilst a different code of football (but with the home side cunningly wearing some kind of AFCW tribute kit in order to distract from the fact) goes on in the background?

And two weeks later we repeat this for the next thousand AFCW supporters?

This is dafter than I ever could have imagined!

More plausible is it's 2000. Do Broncos have 2000 ST holders?

But let's say it is 1000, do they even have 1000 ST holders?

Stop getting angry over nothing, Broncos fans!

Just now, Man of Kent said:

More plausible is it's 2000. Do Broncos have 2000 ST holders?

But let's say it is 1000, do they even have 1000 ST holders?

Stop getting angry over nothing, Broncos fans!

The issue isn't how many Broncos fans there are but how many Wimbledon ones will be given a freebie ahead of them.

To see us play in a blue and yellow tribute kit.

Archived