London Broncos Moving Update

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

No. The point is that it's a rugby league team playing rugby league. If we're an expansion dream for The Game then, I'm afraid, the game should, collectively, be paying for that.

As it is, Archie's point about the past five years is spot on and what is being thrown away is absolutely spot on.

Indeed the game needs investment.  And of course if you look at the last TV contract and take off the basic money to SL, then there was tons of money left and available amongst other things to promote the Broncos.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

There are maybe 15-20 community clubs in London/SE but they are scattered around and many are outside the M25.

The club's location is therefore not critical to these community clubs. But the facilities are: it is helpful to have a base where community matches and festivals can take place. TFSG hosts the junior (u13-u16) finals day and a primary (u7-u11) festival each year. It has also hosted junior, open age and masters games on first team match days. 

In one specific case, Ealing IS important. The Broncos have helped set up a new club - Pitshanger Panthers juniors. Given that the London Junior League has a limited number of active clubs in the younger junior age groups, a new team is always welcome. I think this club is now under threat. So, in the short term, the move may actually generate -1 new clubs.

That’s correct. Pitshanger Panthers were training and playing at Trailfinders thanks to the Broncos. That’s no longer possible and between that, few volunteers and difficulties with finance (we couldn’t even open a bank account due to the pandemic) we’ve no option but to cease playing. 

I’ll let you guess the total number of phone calls and emails I’ve had from anyone from the Broncos since the Wimbledon proposal was announced. 

26 minutes ago, RoverBear said:

That’s correct. Pitshanger Panthers were training and playing at Trailfinders thanks to the Broncos. That’s no longer possible and between that, few volunteers and difficulties with finance (we couldn’t even open a bank account due to the pandemic) we’ve no option but to cease playing. 

I’ll let you guess the total number of phone calls and emails I’ve had from anyone from the Broncos since the Wimbledon proposal was announced. 

Let me have a guess.......none? 

3 hours ago, RoverBear said:

Gutted to hear this. Not much to say beyond that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Hide the green crayons and ask politely.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

I walked past Hayes and Yeading’s ground today and it looks entirely adequate for our needs at the moment.

A little far out possibly? I like the idea of a ground that size - agree totally that it suits the need of the club at the moment - but feels like it would be even more of a travel headache than Ealing. Just looked it up and was surprised at how far a walk it is from both Hayes & Harlington and Southall.

On the flip side - countless post-match meal options nearby!

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Hide the green crayons and ask politely.

Unless he answers who would win out of a lion and a shark then it's all a farce.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

A little far out possibly? I like the idea of a ground that size - agree totally that it suits the need of the club at the moment - but feels like it would be even more of a travel headache than Ealing. Just looked it up and was surprised at how far a walk it is from both Hayes & Harlington and Southall.

On the flip side - countless post-match meal options nearby!

There are supposed to be two pedestrian bridges crossing the Grand Union Canal, when the housing development on the gas works is finished, which would reduce the walk to Southall station (on Crossrail) to about 15 minutes.

Given the timescale involved, it could work out very nicely for the club's departure from Wimbledon and search for a new home that will magically fix all of its problems.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I am delighted to be able to report that I have, this day received, my well packaged and unbroken Official Supporters Group Mug and Membership Card.

I would post a picture of my beaming countenance with said mug but fear ###### riposts on the lines of "Two mugs together"

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

21 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

I walked past Hayes and Yeading’s ground today and it looks entirely adequate for our needs at the moment.

Why did you bring this up? Is there a rumour circulating, regarding this ground?

Or are you just expressing your opinion that it would be a suitable venue? 

23 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Why did you bring this up? Is there a rumour circulating, regarding this ground?

Or are you just expressing your opinion that it would be a suitable venue? 

It was mentioned earlier in the thread as a possible alternative ground to Trailfinders ( by nadera78 I think ) that would not involve such a big move as Wimbledon.

As far as I am aware we are definitely moving to Plough Lane.

1 minute ago, westlondonfan said:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread as a possible alternative ground to Trailfinders ( by nadera78 I think ) that would not involve such a big move as Wimbledon.

Good luck mate. My soul is screaming for London to do well. 

2 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

Well, sort of but not really. It was part of a rambling post detailing non-league football grounds in London. I wasn't seriously suggesting we move there, although I have heard worse ideas.

8 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Much more modern looking though. I was surprised when I saw it how big the stand was.

They struggled to find the funding for a decade or so, but finally got it finished a couple of years back. When the two clubs merged, the bigger site (Hayes' old ground) was sold for housing with the money earmarked for developing Yeading's old ground. The money disappeared, as did the owners, and the people taking over had to start from scratch. It's happened at a lot of non-league clubs in London, and presumably elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

They struggled to find the funding for a decade or so, but finally got it finished a couple of years back. When the two clubs merged, the bigger site (Hayes' old ground) was sold for housing with the money earmarked for developing Yeading's old ground. The money disappeared, as did the owners, and the people taking over had to start from scratch. It's happened at a lot of non-league clubs in London, and presumably elsewhere.

Search: Aylesbury United.

Archived