London Broncos Moving Update

Academy set-up to be based at Richmond Athletic Ground.

Given the first team is at Rosslyn Park, this is pretty sensible.

https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/powell-hails-first-class-facilities-for-academy-as-richmond-partnership-announced/?fbclid=IwAR2yZcAm94d1vlxLq2PynBx_TsFvz4fuY9z4bKzF0-aQkA6cxJbK5z7VUUM

Might as well make the first team play out of Old Deer Park now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Academy set-up to be based at Richmond Athletic Ground.

Given the first team is at Rosslyn Park, this is pretty sensible.

https://londonbroncosrl.com/news/powell-hails-first-class-facilities-for-academy-as-richmond-partnership-announced/?fbclid=IwAR2yZcAm94d1vlxLq2PynBx_TsFvz4fuY9z4bKzF0-aQkA6cxJbK5z7VUUM

Might as well make the first team play out of Old Deer Park now.

Good to see we are being mentioned in the same breath as Kew Park Rangers FC 😅

53 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Good to see we are being mentioned in the same breath as Kew Park Rangers FC 😅

I was told yesterday that London Scottish are taking a year out so there will only be one team playing anyway at Richmond this season in the RU Championship so the ground is available.

Paul

33 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I was told yesterday that London Scottish are taking a year out so there will only be one team playing anyway at Richmond this season in the RU Championship so the ground is available.

Paul

London Scottish were leaving Richmond as their home stadium anyway after this season - they released this statement back in July 2020...

London Scottish to leave Richmond Athletic Ground after 127 years

London Scottish announces today it is to move on from the home it has shared with Richmond FC since 1894.

The two clubs this week agreed an amicable parting of the ways after four years of negotiations over their future together.

The decision was driven by the operational difficulties of the Richmond Athletic Ground hosting two competing Championship clubs on the same ground and by London Scottish’s need to secure its commercial sustainability. London Scottish will play one final season there and will move in the summer of 2021.

I would think that the Broncos Academy will train & play their games on the training ground & pitch behind the stand complex - not on the main Richmond pitch.

It would be interesting to know if Broncos were ever in discussion about their 1st team playing at Richmond - the stand/stadium is quite old though. (Richmond have plans to redevelop their ground.)

Good to see the charity known as London Broncos pumping money into two rugby union clubs and one football club in south west London.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

To be completely honest, I can't help get the feeling that someone at the club has got hold of Dave Hughes' ear and promised success if only he'll jettison the slow and sustainable approach and listen to him instead. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

It's obviously a shame that the academy won't play curtain raisers on Championship game days but the location is a good one.

I wonder where the physical home of the club will be.

The Roehampton Gate Car Park in Richmond Park would be the meeting point between all three (Richmond, Roslyn Park and Plough Lane). 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So they’ve gone from renting one venue to renting three venues within a couple of years of relegation and amidst a pandemic? What on earth went wrong with the relationship with Ealing that it come to that?

Makes you wonder doesn’t it. I wonder if they jumped the gun thinking that they would be back in SL and gave notice to Ealing prior to the SL decision, then once they found out that they were not in it was too late to rescind it? Surely even the Broncos couldn’t make that big a mistake, or could they?

48 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Makes you wonder doesn’t it. I wonder if they jumped the gun thinking that they would be back in SL and gave notice to Ealing prior to the SL decision, then once they found out that they were not in it was too late to rescind it? Surely even the Broncos couldn’t make that big a mistake, or could they?

It has been said that Ealing was up for renegotiation and the price was going to substantially increase.

Ideal situation would be a great stadium for game day for 1st team, and a second field that all teams can train on + academy can play on.  

In my experience, you don't get rent hikes when the landlord and tenant are getting along OK. 

And as for timing, Loubser said that they've been checking out potential venues since Spring 2020.

But none of this has been communicated directly to ST holders. Last message was July 2020 when they asked if I'd donate the value of my STs. I was happy to. Not so happy now - no thank you since, indeed no further contact at all.

17 hours ago, Oldbear said:

I suspect your right, the chairman of Ealing Trailfinders is seriously cashed up and there have been a few ground improvements at Trailfinders in the enforced close season such as the intallation of a video screen.

Ealing was the landlord that did not need to squeeze the Broncos unlike the Soccer clubs

No matter, I am sure that some excuse will be trotted out when the report of the OSG meeting with Mr Loubster and Mr Milner is leaked which will be eagerly lapped up on here by those who don't want to believe otherwise.

Other people might take a view that paying three landlords as opposed to one makes no sense financially or playing wise. As the chair of the LBSA (unofficial Supporters Club) put it the Broncos are a Team not a Club and thers a significant truth there.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Haha. And we now have 3 landlords to fall out with.

Well you know what they say over here, go big or go home, guess that can apply to falling out with landlords too!

7 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

I believe the Q&A session was on Monday. Anyone got a clue when the output will be made public ? 

"in the near future"

(Genuinely.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 03/02/2021 at 14:10, dead man inc said:

London Scottish were leaving Richmond as their home stadium anyway after this season - they released this statement back in July 2020...

London Scottish to leave Richmond Athletic Ground after 127 years

London Scottish announces today it is to move on from the home it has shared with Richmond FC since 1894.

The two clubs this week agreed an amicable parting of the ways after four years of negotiations over their future together.

The decision was driven by the operational difficulties of the Richmond Athletic Ground hosting two competing Championship clubs on the same ground and by London Scottish’s need to secure its commercial sustainability. London Scottish will play one final season there and will move in the summer of 2021.

I would think that the Broncos Academy will train & play their games on the training ground & pitch behind the stand complex - not on the main Richmond pitch.

It would be interesting to know if Broncos were ever in discussion about their 1st team playing at Richmond - the stand/stadium is quite old though. (Richmond have plans to redevelop their ground.)

Funny enough I can inform you that the Varsity match (Union) is scheduled to be played at Richmond in late April (How the mighty have fallen) P 

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Funny enough I can inform you that the Varsity match (Union) is scheduled to be played at Richmond in late April (How the mighty have fallen) P 

No crowd though, presumably? So doesn't matter where they're playing it?

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Interesting, the RL Varsity match has been there before. Helped launch a certain PA announcer onto the stage...

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

No crowd though, presumably? So doesn't matter where they're playing it?

They are looking for a crowd (But doubt it) Twickenham has gone down from 60000 to around 19000 over the last 10 years.

RL varsity never got passed around 500 sadly but was building nicely until Cambridge started to fall apart.

Archived