London Broncos Moving Update

Also missing Gillingham FC, Wycombe Wanderers FC, Esher RFC, Leicester Tigers RFC, Newport RFC, Carcassonne...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Damien said:

People always use moving stadiums as a stick to beat London with but how many of these moves were out of choice? Several were certainly a case of the Football club hiking rents to unaffordable levels or simply no longer wanting a tenant and London can hardly be to blame for that.

The recurring theme always seems to be that London annoy a landlord who was initially warm to the club.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The recurring theme always seems to be that London annoy a landlord who was initially warm to the club.

I’ve never understood why Broncos have not been able to become a long term tenet anywhere like Skolars are at New River. The list of places they’ve played is crazy. Skolars for over two decades have been at New River (plus a short stint at Enfield, which I have to say I rather enjoyed on the whole). 

16 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Yes they played there the night before the 1983 Cup Final. I think they lost to Cardiff.

gettyimages-611547628-612x612.jpg

Yes, 14-20, after which we were presented with the Second Division champions trophy. One of the dirtier matches I've ben to - I remember Martin Herdman hitting Tommy David with a straight right at which TD got up and belted him back!

14 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I’ve never understood why Broncos have not been able to become a long term tenet anywhere like Skolars are at New River. The list of places they’ve played is crazy. Skolars for over two decades have been at New River (plus a short stint at Enfield, which I have to say I rather enjoyed on the whole). 

Tbf its a bit of a different dynamic with the broncos and their respective "main grounds" as none as far as I'm aware have been municipally owned and the Broncos have always been an "outside partner".

I actually think we're still seeing the long term effects of the Quins RL fiasco.

14 hours ago, EssexRL said:

The number of privately/council owned/run stadiums in London seems to be quite low in number, so securing long-term partnerships, in the way Skolars have, seems unlikely. 

Wasn’t there a time as well when all the big “London” clubs in RU were all based outside of London in Watford, Wycombe, Reading and places like that? That’s probably a decent indicator, too. 

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf its a bit of a different dynamic with the broncos and their respective "main grounds" as none as far as I'm aware have been municipally owned and the Broncos have always been an "outside partner".

I actually think we're still seeing the long term effects of the Quins RL fiasco.

If Leneghan had stayed that would have worked. Unfortunately David Hughes doesn't have the soft business skills and business mindset he has.

16 minutes ago, Wire quin said:

If Leneghan had stayed that would have worked. Unfortunately David Hughes doesn't have the soft business skills and business mindset he has.

It's like a lot of moments in the Broncos' past - it absolutely could have worked but a somewhat hamfisted approach and complete lack of proper engagement with fans (again) whilst, seemingly, doing everything to annoy a very sympathetic partner/landlord, doomed it entirely.

It also didn't help just how poor that team became.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

58 minutes ago, Wire quin said:

Yeah I can see that, but I still think with hindsight that the move from Brentford was the point of no return for the problems the club have had ever since.

Like the biblical sects who believe that when the Bible is translated into every language the world will end, I believe when the Broncos have played a home game in every London Borough it will end. It is easier to list the Boroughs (total 30) that they haven't! Any sadoes like to list them? here are a few: Hackney, City, Tower Hamlets, Bexley, Camden, Haringey, Newham, Hillingdon....

39 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I can see that, but I still think with hindsight that the move from Brentford was the point of no return for the problems the club have had ever since.

The club went bust that year and only the move ensured their survival

Griffin Park was a nice ground, I am a Brentford supporter, but it’s too big for the Broncos. For me Trailfinders was nearly perfect for the next 10-15 years.

Wimbledon looks far too big and if performances plummet as they may do on a grass pitch and limited funds then crowds will dwindle. It can only work with a massive injection of cash in my view?

32 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Griffin Park was a nice ground, I am a Brentford supporter, but it’s too big for the Broncos. For me Trailfinders was nearly perfect for the next 10-15 years.

Wimbledon looks far too big and if performances plummet as they may do on a grass pitch and limited funds then crowds will dwindle. It can only work with a massive injection of cash in my view?

David Hughes won't be around for another 10-15 years, so if Broncos are going to survive as a full time club, they needs to make a play now to become much more sustainable. That could never happen at TSC.

It may be that  a move to AFCW doesn't achieve that goal either - it will depend on a lot more things than just the stadium. But not trying at all will definitely see the end of them as full time club.

Whether Broncos are viable - or even needed - as a part time club, are separate questions entirely.   

5 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I've not seen a single sign that Hughes has ever thought about the sustainability of the Broncos. It's always been about the first team in the here and now. It's the main reason why he has nothing tangible to show for an investment of £20m+. The AFCW move is part of this pattern.

I feel like you are doing somewhat of a disservice to the amount of money he has put into the academy to ensure we have great juniors coming through. That is somewhat about sustainability

But I agree on other areas.

Archived