London Broncos Moving Update

Just now, Man of Kent said:

I don't either. My optimism is based on AFC Wimbledon capitalising on it, not Broncos. The Broncos couldn't run a bath but AFC Wimbledon will want to work with them on the promotional side and turn it into a success. 

I don’t imagine a relatively small, fan run club with a new stadium and subsequent fees and bills associated with it will be throwing much of the little money they do have towards a second tier rugby league team. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I don’t imagine a relatively small, fan run club with a new stadium and subsequent fees and bills associated with it will be throwing much of the little money they do have towards a second tier rugby league team. 

That's one way to look at it. Another would be to see the potential benefits of AFC Wimbledon hosting Super League rugby at a venue worthy of the name.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What does the GM of the broncos have over the club to keep him in place this long?

A pretty poor boss, I would assume. For all the credit Hughes gets for being the metaphorical life support machine for Broncos, I can’t help but think he’s wasted a lot of money on various areas. 

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

A pretty poor boss, I would assume. For all the credit Hughes gets for being the metaphorical life support machine for Broncos, I can’t help but think he’s wasted a lot of money on various areas. 

It's pretty much this.

Without David Hughes's money, the Broncos simply wouldn't exist.

Without his seeming complete disinterest in building and running an actual club, the Broncos might not actually need quite so much of his money all the time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

When he took control we were averaging over 4,000 and discussing ways to reach the (then) break even figure of 5,000. 

He's easily spent £20m (god love him for that) and has precisely nothing to show for it. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I don't either. My optimism is based on AFC Wimbledon capitalising on it, not Broncos. The Broncos couldn't run a bath but AFC Wimbledon will want to work with them on the promotional side and turn it into a success. 

How dare you, they could run a bath but as for remembering to put the plug in . . . . . . . . . . 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

We played out of a union club and very few Ealing fans came to watch over the 3 years

If it ends up like Fulham and we get tons of soccer fans coming I will be the happiest little Bronco in the shires. I am not confident that will happen though

I have a horrible feeling in 3/4 years I will be spending more than just a few Sundays a year in Wood Green.... No disrespect EssexRL

1 hour ago, BJW said:

How dare you, they could run a bath but as for remembering to put the plug in . . . . . . . . . . 

The big difference I guess is that WAFC are a young ambitious club with no hidden resentment of league. (I'm not saying Quins or Ealing did but they definitely did) 

Maybe they'll push it in the local media and social media and maybe we'll push on. I'm hopeful but jot expectant 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The big difference I guess is that WAFC are a young ambitious club with no hidden resentment of league. (I'm not saying Quins or Ealing did but they definitely did) 

Maybe they'll push it in the local media and social media and maybe we'll push on. I'm hopeful but jot expectant 

What was the issue with Charlton, Barnet and Brentford, then?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Or maybe they could start acting like a competent sports back office and push their own club in the local media and within their own social media channels. This apparent crossover between football fans and rugby union fans to Rugby League has yielded little to nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Or maybe they could start acting like a competent sports back office and push their own club in the local media and within their own social media channels. This apparent crossover between football fans and rugby union fans to Rugby League has yielded little to nothing. 

I would say that the majority of Broncos fans (If they follow another sport) follow a non league football team.

Interesting to note on the meeting held on 05/01/21 on the "Dons Trust" that their self titled Board priorities for 2021. Broncos are not mentioned at all, although Love Rugby League recently reported Broncos will be playing on the road games.

I wonder if that is the agreed plan, get a deal in place with a suitable venue for Super League criteria but play at a cheaper venue when you can't have the spectators in. 

Definitely hinted by Danny Ward

"

Ward said: “Everyone is aware of Wimbledon and that will be, in time, fantastic for the future of the club but there are procedures to go through and we have to respect that.

“Until that is sorted, I am really happy with the venue we have sorted for playing our games. It is exactly what we need for these difficult times where we will not have the Broncos faithful behind us.

“It’s out of our hands, we are just fully focused on the rugby and the things we can control. Just give us a patch of grass and some goal posts and the boys will be ready to go.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/london-broncos-close-in-on-new-home-at-afc-wimbledons-plough-lane/

4 minutes ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

Interesting to note on the meeting held on 05/01/21 on the "Dons Trust" that their self titled Board priorities for 2021. Broncos are not mentioned at all, although Love Rugby League recently reported Broncos will be playing on the road games.

I wonder if that is the agreed plan, get a deal in place with a suitable venue for Super League criteria but play at a cheaper venue when you can't have the spectators in. 

I believe that relates specifically to the priorities specifically to the Dons Trust Board following the elections in December.

There’s been a bit of a revolution after the previous board considered selling the DT’s control of the club to three still unnamed investors. That went down like a lead balloon and there’s been a lot of new blood on the board, including a new chair.

As far as I’m aware it’s still happening and the next step is the planning application. There’s another DT meeting next week and I’ll report back here on anything new about the Broncos.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I believe that relates specifically to the priorities specifically to the Dons Trust Board following the elections in December.

There’s been a bit of a revolution after the previous board considered selling the DT’s control of the club to three still unnamed investors. That went down like a lead balloon and there’s been a lot of new blood on the board, including a new chair.

As far as I’m aware it’s still happening and the next step is the planning application. There’s another DT meeting next week and I’ll report back here on anything new about the Broncos.

To be honest I hope it does happen. It opens up the South London market and looks like a fantastic facility too. I don't know if away fans will be in there in July but the downside Yorks away tie clashes with the tennis! Not a tennis fan but could make public transport interesting 

Just now, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

To be honest I hope it does happen. It opens up the South London market and looks like a fantastic facility too. I don't know if away fans will be in there in July but the downside Yorks away tie clashes with the tennis! Not a tennis fan but could make public transport interesting 

It's pretty easy to get to Plough Lane and avoid any routes that will take you to the 'other' Wimbledon.

2 minutes ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

Good point however we should just call Richard Lewis and ask him. to cancel Wimbledon due to a clash with Broncos home matches no problem LOL:)

21 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Actually, it's AFCW, that's why they are usually first on the fixture lists.

Archived