London Broncos Moving Update

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

From Where? It's in the middle of nowhere in Sarff Larndarn. It's almost as bad as Charlton.

The easy enough part relates to it being easy enough to avoid being mixed up with people going to Wimbledon tennis on London transport.

Plough Lane is not a great place to get to.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We played out of a union club and very few Ealing fans came to watch over the 3 years

If it ends up like Fulham and we get tons of soccer fans coming I will be the happiest little Bronco in the shires. I am not confident that will happen though

I have a horrible feeling in 3/4 years I will be spending more than just a few Sundays a year in Wood Green.... No disrespect EssexRL

Bedford - A brief history lesson is required

1980 was an entirely different society and in those days the novelty value of playing a "foreign" sport got a lot of publicity and TV coverage. Crowds soon melted away as fast as an ice cream at Coober Pedy once the novelty wore off. I went to two games towards the end of the Fulham Craven Cottage era a win against Hull which had just 3,838 in attendance and a loss to Leeds which had 2,972 it did not catch on with me as I was into, Cricket , American Football (1983 - Minnisota Vikings v St Louis Cardinals at Wembley) and my local soccer club, Dave Bassett's Wimbledon FC, about to be promoted to the second division. Fulham FC expelled Fulahm RLFC from Craven Cottage as soon as ceased to be a revenue stream for the olub. ( page 145 - Touch and Go a History of Professional Rugby League in London ) - see below

1996 again the start of the Super League  was also a pre-internet age and a different society, a society which had The Sun producing a four page Super League pullout and token you could cut out and present at the gate for a fiver admission. Those were the days and it came at the right time for me as I had fallen out of love with soccer and the London Monarchs were about to have the plug pulled on them. but it was a quarter of a century ago and what worked temporaily then will not work now  You could argue that the Valley was the natural home for the Broncos but as David Hughes then a Charlton Club director found out when he wanted to create  Charlton RLFC as part of a Charlton sporting club,  His other soccer directors wanted no part of it (Page 158 - A Pastel Revolution- Paul Fletcher and Philp Gordos - London League Publications - 2006)

Aquire a copy of Touch and Go a History of Professional Rugby League in London written by Dave Farrar Peter Lush, and Michael O'Hare published by London League Publications in 1995 which covers not only the early years Of Fulham / London Crusaders / Broncos but also London Highfield, Acton and Willesden and Streatham and Micham RLFC's in the 1930's. Educate yourself on the history of RL expansion in London and see how the same mistakes are made, again and again and again and again ad Infinitum

The attitude taken by soccer clubs to the London Broncos is not dissimilar to Count Dracula staring at a nuble young maidens neck. From Fulham to Charlton to Brentford, Barnet and also the Dons they are an income stream to be drained.

On a different note I see London v Keighley Cougars is to be live steramed on Our League on Saturday 20th March at 3.00pm as one of four cup ties

Clubs we are told will be in touch with their season ticket holders to arrnge a free pass. - One problemo for Broncos fans no-one has been contacted regarding season tickets....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

From Where? It's in the middle of nowhere in Sarff Larndarn. It's almost as bad as Charlton.

For me in South East I have to go into central London and then back out again to get there. Easier than Ealing but not by much. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

"Memberships" (incorporating STs) revealed next week and on sale first week of March it seems.

You would think they would have to reveal plans for (a) home ground(s) by then.

It'll be interesting to see what's on offer. I must admit that - and not specific to the Broncos - I think ST holders should really be able to view streamed games home and away until they can physically be there. 

On 19/02/2021 at 15:06, DI Keith Fowler said:

For me in South East I have to go into central London and then back out again to get there. Easier than Ealing but not by much. 

From St Leonard's it's about 14 trains, and 10 bus replacements on a Sunday.

6 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

I received an email today about season tickets and membership. Still no announcement about home ground though.

I got one too. What a joke. They can't even bring themselves to say "Look, we're still waiting for confirmation but everyone knows we want to play at Wimbledon's new ground. All our plans, and ticket prices, etc, are based on that assumption".

No, they just continue to treat their ever diminishing band of supporters like an inconvenience.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

I got one too. What a joke. They can't even bring themselves to say "Look, we're still waiting for confirmation but everyone knows we want to play at Wimbledon's new ground. All our plans, and ticket prices, etc, are based on that assumption".

No, they just continue to treat their ever diminishing band of supporters like an inconvenience.

It’s been shared on social media so I’m a big fan of the early blaming of some fans for being cheap combined with revealing (possibly inadvertently) that the reason for moving is so they can justify charging more for tickets.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, The storm said:

London Irish, wasps, saracens, London Scottish et all seem to move all the time 

But for union it's not seen as a negative simply an opportunity 

Perhaps you can point out the Union club that has moved nine times in 25 years - Not forgetting all the other one-off venues.

In one of the three e-mails I was sent was the following, already commented on in this thread

I would like to start by mentioning an observation on previous years ticketing options and pricing that I made when coming into the role 12 months ago. With the seating situation at Ealing, and the tiered ticketing system that was in place, our Bronze ticket holders (around 25% of you) were paying (on renewal) less than £10 per game for Elite Professional Sporting action in London. I was actually very taken aback by this and set out on finding a way to bring this in line with the rest of the clubs in our division and similar level sporting clubs around London but increasing the value of the ticket accordingly for our fans. I think at Ealing it is fair to say that whilst there were some seating options getting the view you wanted was not guaranteed therefore a lower price was potentially a fair compromise. Being able to raise the price in line with our rival clubs in a fair way was then added to the list of reasons to secure an Elite Sporting venue and the Wimbledon discussion was born.

What is missing of course is that a lot of that will be going in rent to Wimbledon.

BTW it will bne £ 25 General admission (£ 18 concession) next season

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Perhaps you can point out the Union club that has moved nine times in 25 years - Not forgetting all the other one-off venues.

In one of the three e-mails I was sent was the following, already commented on in this thread

What is missing of course is that a lot of that will be going in rent to Wimbledon.

BTW it will bne £ 25 General admission (£ 18 concession) next season

£25?! I bet there’s not many Super League teams charging more than that (I know Saints do for the better seats on the halfway line). 

2 hours ago, The storm said:

London Irish, wasps, saracens, London Scottish et all seem to move all the time 

But for union it's not seen as a negative simply an opportunity 

London Irish played in Reading for twenty years before moving to Brentford this season. Yes, a joke, but a stable one.

Saracens have been at their current ground for a decade having been at Watford for another decade before that.

Wasps play in Coventry having had about 15 years in Wycombe and a few before that at Loftus Road.

No idea about London Scottish but I think they were at the Stoop until 1999 (?) and then have been at Richmond since being reformed.

So ... not remotely the same as London Broncos' ridiculous nomadic existence.

A couple of odd things in the pricing.

First, £240 (full member) for 9 home games or £120 (half member) plus 9 games at £10 each. Why would you choose the former? 

I think that I'll just pay on the day this year (max of £225 but no risk to me if the shut out lasts longer than 17 May and I always miss a game or two anyway).

Second, the bit about 25% of the ST holders at Ealing paying about £100 too little must total somewhere between £5-10k. Not much of a reason to up sticks.

Reading between the lines, I can't see us playing at Plough Lane until we are well into the Summer so I don't see why the club is unwilling to say where our Elite Sporting team will start the season. But we'll know in less than a month.

11 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

A couple of odd things in the pricing.

First, £240 (full member) for 9 home games or £120 (half member) plus 9 games at £10 each. Why would you choose the former? 

I think that I'll just pay on the day this year (max of £225 but no risk to me if the shut out lasts longer than 17 May and I always miss a game or two anyway).

Second, the bit about 25% of the ST holders at Ealing paying about £100 too little must total somewhere between £5-10k. Not much of a reason to up sticks.

Yes. There was also a discount for those who lived in W7 . I am curious to know where they think all these new fans will come from. If the team , for what ever reason, plays less well than the last 3 years ,with these prices I can see attendances going down not up. I still think they should have signed up for another 10-15 years at Trailfinders and then maybe review it about three years before the end of that ?

I wish the club would be a bit more open about the real reasons for this move.

Assuming that it is genuinely a requirement of moving to Plough Lane that planning consent is required for change of use there is still no application pending with the local council.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Assuming that it is genuinely a requirement of moving to Plough Lane that planning consent is required for change of use there is still no application pending with the local council.

It's probably genuine. Planning applications for stadiums often say "will be used for sport / club x". It helps re-assure locals it won't be used 12 months a year. 

It's also not unknown for this to be varied once the stadium is up.

If my memory is correct, the new Brentford FC was initially passed with a football only clause. London Irish are happily playing out of there now.

As an aside I think it was in the planning application for Tooting & Mitcham United's ground that AFC Wimbledon could not use it for home games, to allay fears they would move in and extend the ground.

Just now, Ivarr the Boneless said:

It's probably genuine. Planning applications for stadiums often say "will be used for sport / club x". It helps re-assure locals it won't be used 12 months a year. 

If my memory is correct, the new Brentford FC was initially passed with a football only clause. London Irish are happily playing out of there now.

As an aside I think it was in the planning application for Tooting & Mitcham United's ground that AFC Wimbledon could not use it for home games, to allay fears they would move in and extend the ground.

My only reason for caveating about whether it's genuine is the notable absence of anything going in for planning consent - given that we are apparently deep in discussions with AFC Wimbledon.

Those are useful examples from Brentford and Tooting & Mitcham.

2 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

That's right from a Brentford point, Once the main planning consent was received for Lionel Road, an alteration went through about a year later to enable Rugby to be played. There was a fair amount of skeptisim from the Brentford fanbase, particularly around the pitch.  Will be interesting to see how that relationship develops once fans can get in and if games are moved for Sky and the knock on impacts.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It is. There's a DT meeting tonight and I'll post any Broncos updates here. 

hat.jpg

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

It is. There's a DT meeting tonight and I'll post any Broncos updates here. 

hat.jpg

Nice image.

Please ask why there's no planning permission being sought given that it's a prerequisite of any agreement.

Archived