London Broncos Moving Update

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The commericial manager  may not want to come on here but there are signs this discussion thread may have caused a re-think (cough) clarification regarding prices for concessions.

@LondonBroncosRL 5h

Our partners @TicketCoUK have our 2021 memberships loaded into the system and ready for launch this week Look out for an email in advance of this with some clarification on our new Children's passes, Disabled supporters and Concessions

https://twitter.com/LondonBroncosRL?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The season starts next weekend and London Broncos play at home. Have they announced where it’s being played yet?

You thought I was joking when I said we'd find out when the away team say which ground they're driving to?

Also: still no planning permission application relating to extension of use to include playing rugby league at Plough Lane lodged with Merton Council.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The season starts next weekend and London Broncos play at home. Have they announced where it’s being played yet?

It's obviously a secret gig.  The information will be found in anagram on the internet the day before.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

More details here: https://thedonstrust.org/files/London-Broncos-Information-QA.pdf

‘The deal would be worth between £200,000 and £500,000 per year - a wide variance largely depending on whether the London Broncos play in the Championship or the Super League. They are currently in the Championship but ambitiously seeking to return to the Super League. This figure will be made up from guaranteed ground rental fees as well
as additional commission on matchday income such as tickets and beverages.’

First game wouldn’t be until July...

39 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

More details here: https://thedonstrust.org/files/London-Broncos-Information-QA.pdf

‘The deal would be worth between £200,000 and £500,000 per year - a wide variance largely depending on whether the London Broncos play in the Championship or the Super League. They are currently in the Championship but ambitiously seeking to return to the Super League. This figure will be made up from guaranteed ground rental fees as well
as additional commission on matchday income such as tickets and beverages.’

First game wouldn’t be until July...

It sounds like an excellent deal for AFC Wimbledon.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, nadera78 said:

It sounds like an excellent deal for AFC Wimbledon.

Except that these numbers will likely be based on a hopelessly optimistic number of Broncos fans attending. AFCW will obviously get paid their basic rent but if they are also relying on a share of ticket and game day consumption, they could be in for a shock when projected attendances turn out to be wrong. I think that this has happened before.

28 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Except that these numbers will likely be based on a hopelessly optimistic number of Broncos fans attending. AFCW will obviously get paid their basic rent but if they are also relying on a share of ticket and game day consumption, they could be in for a shock when projected attendances turn out to be wrong. I think that this has happened before.

Hopefully they will be smart and base their projections on the reality that London will be paying them on or near that base number for the foreseeable.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

‘The Dons Trust Board recommends that members vote in favour of the proposal. The Board makes this recommendation unanimously.’

Done deal, as far I’m concerned. 

Maybe. We don’t know for sure though. I would really like to know exactly the circumstances of us leaving Ealing now.

10 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Maybe. We don’t know for sure though. I would really like to know exactly the circumstances of us leaving Ealing now.

It pretty much is a done deal as there is no other option being pursued and it's entirely down to the AFC Wimbledon membership where we now get to play.

You might as well wonder why we moved on from every other ground we've played at. The recurring theme is always that we messed up whatever opportunities were there whilst decreasing our support base and utterly ruining the relationship with the landlord.

I'm sure there's no chance of that happening again. After all, we're going to wear a special blue and yellow kit.

9 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Indeed.

According to the dates in the Dons document, Broncos will have to find a venue for FIVE home games where crowds will be permitted before the move to Wimbledon in July. 

That is: Bradford, Dewsbury, Swinton, Whitehaven and York. 

As much as I dislike Trailfinders, and think AFCW will be a great improvement spectator wise, if the choice for those five games is Richmond, Rosslyn Park or Ealing then Ealing is by far the best. 

Is there any chance of a final batch of games at Ealing for the first team, or have bridges been fully burned? 

3 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Oh yeah, AFCW reckon the Broncos are predicting a 3,500 average attendance!

But it's not just the financials that stand out, although they in themselves are a cause for concern: the Broncos are paying a fixed rate, plus an unknown % on tickets and beverages. And at the same time paying for 2 training bases elsewhere. At minimum they've got to be spending £250,000 on facilities - which is a massive hike on the hourly rate we were led to believe (again, clarity is hard to find because the Broncos treat everyone like idiots) the club was paying at Ealing.

Of a wider concern is the tone of that document, and every other message coming from AFCW. It's very much one of a landlord asserting itself. I get that AFCW fans are particularly sensitive souls, and the Dons Trust board is attempting to manage them through this, but it is all very one sided. Apart from hosting 13 matches at Plough Lane, the Broncos don't seem to be getting very much out of this at all. But then the messaging would be one-sided because the Broncos still cannot bring themselves to even make a gesture at keeping their ever-diminishing fanbase informed.

I've said this before on this thread, but David Hughes is having his pants pulled down here and we all know who is doing it to him. And I can't help but feel that this is going to be one disaster too many and he'll finally walk away. And that, folks, should be of concern to everyone in the game. RL in England is retrenching further and further each season.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Of a wider concern is the tone of that document, and every other message coming from AFCW. It's very much one of a landlord asserting itself. I get that AFCW fans are particularly sensitive souls, and the Dons Trust board is attempting to manage them through this, but it is all very one sided. Apart from hosting 13 matches at Plough Lane, the Broncos don't seem to be getting very much out of this at all. But then the messaging would be one-sided because the Broncos still cannot bring themselves to even make a gesture at keeping their ever-diminishing fanbase informed.

I'm allowing for it all being written for the little dears who saved non league football just by existing but, yes, the every utterance makes it clear that this is not a partnership, nor even the pretence of one. London get use of the stadium but promise not to make a mess or leave any indication that they've been there.

It is, given the tone of the "ATTENTION ####" letter/email that went out at with the season ticket prices, probably just as well that the Broncos are being mostly silent on the matter.

Archived