London Broncos Moving Update

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm not aware of any board at all. This isn't a suburban ground like Ealing, it's in a heavily built up area of South London.

The ground is surrounded on all sides by the new flats. The main entrance will have some digital signage, as will the concourses. There is also a humongous wall behind the terrace that - we understand - will be used as a giant projector screen as a digital engagement/fan experience thing. 

Fascinating.

So no Broncos branding at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, it's a fair point but the bigger question is how will Wimbledon work with LB to make the groundshare is a success (as I fear Broncos couldn't run a bath and could fail if it's left all up to them). Big picture stuff, not wooden boards.

Absolutely, but I fear this isn't a partnership, just a rental stream for AFCW for a few hours a fortnight that barely makes a mark on the ground itself. I sincerely hope it works and is a mutual success, but I've grown more suspicious of that the more I have read.

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

how will Wimbledon work with LB to make the groundshare a success

The key thing will be to ensure that Plough Lane looks and feels as much like a London Broncos home ground as an AFC Wimbledon one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

The key thing will be to ensure that Plough Lane looks and feels as much like a London Broncos home ground as an AFC Wimbledon one.

Which, from everything I've seen, heard and read from AFCW, doesn't seem likely.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, but I fear this isn't a partnership, just a rental stream for AFCW 

Which bit of the messaging about not letting London treat it like a home ground makes you think it's not a partnership?

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I will ask that question (ie what will Wimbledon do to make sure Broncos feel at home at PL). Thank you, Jon. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

I will ask that question (ie what will Wimbledon to make sure Broncos feel at home at PL). Thank you, Jon. 

"feel it is their home ground too" please.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, but I fear this isn't a partnership, just a rental stream for AFCW for a few hours a fortnight that barely makes a mark on the ground itself. I sincerely hope it works and is a mutual success, but I've grown more suspicious of that the more I have read.

I hope so too. It will need leadership from the top as both sets of fans are already moaning about the presence (or lack of it) of the other. Us vs Them etc.

While signage is important to an extent, it can’t be left purely to AFC Wimbledon to advertise London Broncos, though I fear it will be and even then, AFC Wimbledon aren’t the most affluent club in the land, they’re a relatively small, fan-owned club with a stadium and the bonds attached to it, to pay for. 

Questions of how London will be advertised should be waged towards London, not Wimbledon. While there does need to be some collaboration, it is London’s job, which they’ll probably mess up. Again. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

While signage is important to an extent, it can’t be left purely to AFC Wimbledon to advertise London Broncos, though I fear it will be and even then, AFC Wimbledon aren’t the most affluent club in the land, they’re a relatively small, fan-owned club with a stadium and the bonds attached to it, to pay for. 

Questions of how London will be advertised should be waged towards London, not Wimbledon. While there does need to be some collaboration, it is London’s job, which they’ll probably mess up. Again. 

Just checking that it's even possible. Far too many "groundshares" are, obviously, just rental agreements and the tenant can't do anything to promote themselves or make the ground feel like their own.

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That's my worry.

But, hey - despite the slaggings off - the new Broncos website is actually surprisingly good. So maybe they have started to pull their finger out?!

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That's my worry.

But, hey - despite the slaggings off - the new Broncos website is actually surprisingly good. So maybe they have started to pull their finger out?!

The website is certainly in much better nick today than it was over the weekend - that's good to see.

I’m sorry if this has been mentioned before but ive not looked at every page, but will LB be able too keep the beer takings from home games. With all the millions David Hughes has put into the club id always have thought he would’ve employed people to promote the club’s home game’s. 

29 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I’m sorry if this has been mentioned before but ive not looked at every page, but will LB be able too keep the beer takings from home games. With all the millions David Hughes has put into the club id always have thought he would’ve employed people to promote the club’s home game’s. 

The deal is Broncos will pay guaranteed ground rental fees and Wimbledon will also receive commission on matchday income (ie tickets and beverages). So yes, but not all of it.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The deal is Broncos will pay guaranteed ground rental fees and Wimbledon will also receive commission on matchday income (ie tickets and beverages). So yes, but not all of it.

No wonder the match day prices are high

On 21/03/2021 at 19:00, Man of Kent said:

Incorrect. There is no shortfall whatsoever.

Not what your website says

https://thedonstrust.org/2021/02/27/plough-lane-bond-interest-repayments/

Dons Trust launched with a funding shortdfall of £ 11 million. Of which £ 5.5 million has been knocked off in the last year since the Plough Lane Bond was launched.

I may only have been to a comporehensive but 11 million -5.5 million = 5.5 million still outstanding

And of course as you know Joe Palmer your CEO did state in the minutes from 16th December (my bold)

Niall raised the subject of branding in the stadium. Joe confirmed that therewas a spectrum of different groundshare deals ranging from high levels of upfront capital investment and as a result, high expectations on in-stadium branding,through to much more flexible ones. Joe added that the proposed deal featured no major capital investment; with no rights to permanent branding and only digital signage and reversible picture frames in applicable sections of the ground. Joe added that Broncos had explicitly said that their fans would not be allowed to return before ours and that if the closed doors policy extended into summer, AFCW season-ticket holders would be given free entry and Broncos would wear a dedicated blue and yellow third kit

https://thedonstrust.org/files/2020-12-16-Minutes-redacted.pdf

But as you have made an open offer to this board for Wednesday questions please ask Joe

Is it still the case that Dons season ticket holders will be given free entry to all London Bronco matches and when has James Milner told yuou that the new Yellow and Blue APX third kit be available ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

29 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Not what your website says

https://thedonstrust.org/2021/02/27/plough-lane-bond-interest-repayments/

Dons Trust launched with a funding shortdfall of £ 11 million. Of which £ 5.5 million has been knocked off in the last year since the Plough Lane Bond was launched.

I may only have been to a comporehensive but 11 million -5.5 million = 5.5 million still outstanding

And of course as you know Joe Palmer your CEO did state in the minutes from 16th December (my bold)

https://thedonstrust.org/files/2020-12-16-Minutes-redacted.pdf

But as you have made an open offer to this board for Wednesday questions please ask Joe

Is it still the case that Dons season ticket holders will be given free entry to all London Bronco matches and when has James Milner told yuou that the new Yellow and Blue APX third kit be available ?

No, chief, the stadium has been accounted for via a mix of cash, grants, debt and equity. There’s no shortfall and the Broncos aren’t needed to fill any gaps.

Too late on the question as Jon got their first. In any case, things have moved on since those minutes in December. The board is insisting Wimbledon plays there first.

Quite right, really. The fans have essentially built Plough Lane with their own money and it’s 30 years since they’ve been able to watch a home game in Wimbledon.

My guess is there won’t be free entry due to the changed circumstances. I doubt the Wimbledon chief exec will know when you’ll be able to buy a yelllow and blue kit (of if Broncos will play in one) but if that question comes up I’ll report back here. 

18 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

whilst you are correct it is good to try to make sure they havent got one arm tied behind their back by not being allowed to do certain basic things. 

I have thought for a while now that the continental sports club model should be brought in more over here. Ground sharing, facilities sharing etc dont need to be all branded the same but if there is a chance then it wouldnt harm the cause. Wasps and Leeds Rhinos starting to do it with the netball (didnt saracans too for a while?) but could be done with lower league football, netball, rugby (either code) etc if nothing else it spreads costs and people/places can be used all year round. Really good joint relationships could be beneficial to all but it feels as though there is just hostility between sports where there really shouldnt be.

18 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That's my worry.

The new website is so good there's nowhere on it to buy a membership.

There is, of course, a link to the commercial manager's other business where you can buy a replica shirt.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

44 minutes ago, RP London said:

the cause. Wasps and Leeds Rhinos starting to do it with the netball (didnt saracans too for a while?)

Vaguely interestingly: Saracens have only just started doing it but with an established team that were already called Mavericks (with various names before the nickanme). The team is now Saracens Mavericks and a bit of a mish mash. I suspect they will eventually drop the Mavericks part and become more integrated to the bigger club.

Rhinos being linked to rugby league was useful last night as we had the netball commentators extolling the virtues of TGG whilst promoting the upcoming live coverage.

44 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The new website is so good there's nowhere on it to buy a membership.

Should you wish to sponsor a player this is what you see

image.png.8da33b212f1846ef6a8c1a23da8a6bf6.png

And, no that address does not scroll. It's also not the same ending as the website so whilst you can probably guess it, it's not 100% intuitive.

Another bit of snagging that should have been sorted before it went live.

Archived