London Broncos Moving Update

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Doom monger or realist? Apart from a couple of exceptions the squad this year is far worse than last year. That reflects the lower budget and lower profile coaching team. 

Who is going to dish out the batterings apart from maybe Featherstone and Leigh? The Championship is much of a muchness, in truth. 

4 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Suggesting it's not currently possible to make a sensible comment on the 5k in three years target is not short termist idiocy.

It's good to see the club have set out a defined, measurable target.

What they haven't yet set out is what the plan is to get there. Magic beans? Something viable and realistic? We will know much more a few games in.

What we do know is the main drive seems to be converting Dons fans and winning back lost Broncos fans.

The first part is likely to show through pretty quickly whether it's working. It's fair to say Broncos track record in converting host clubs fans is not good,  details around this strategy will be particularly important. The second part is likely to be more slow burn.

I do find it a bit concerning the club seem to think the collapse in gates last season was simply due to Covid. Hopefully that's for public consumption and they are a bit more realistic internally when planning how to get lapsed followers back.

When did the Broncos last have a gate of 5K? Must be going on  ten years? 

25 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

When did the Broncos last have a gate of 5K? Must be going on  ten years? 

5,084 as Harlequins v Wigan at The Stoop in 2010.

Any since then?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

These are SL games. so not applicable

More relevant question, what is London's top attendance in the championship. I don't think we have ever got over 1K for a champ game, and our squads from 2015 to 2019 much stronger that the WWR \ Skolars mix we have now.

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

These are SL games. so not applicable

More relevant question, what is London's top attendance in the championship. I don't think we have ever got over 1K for a champ game, and our squads from 2015 to 2019 much stronger that the WWR \ Skolars mix we have now.

There were quite a few 1-1.5k Championship crowds at Trailfinders. Even those modest numbers seem huge now.

I know that season tickets were only released a day or two ago but I wonder what kind of trade they're doing.

5 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

If there aren't over 1,000 at the first properly marketed game - there may be an argument for a soft launch v Widnes to root out any teething problems - Broncos should urgently call in someone with a background in this stuff.

It'll cost but frankly the club can't afford not to.

The club has never been good at marketing itself, even in the late 90s / early 2000s when it had the Branson money and a decent team in Super League. 

As such, it should acknowledge its weakness and partner with someone who can market sports teams and events to try and drive those attendances up.

5K isn't impossible, however if we think the club is working from a base of only 300 - 500 then they need to recruit help. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

18 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

If Widnes isn't a four-figure crowd, I'll eat my hat.

Widnes took over 1000 to some away games in 2019. South London is obviously a good bit further than say Oldham or Swinton, and it remains to be seen whether crowds will return to be pre-pandemic levels. But I'd still expect Bradford, Leigh and Widnes to bring hundreds of fans.

4 minutes ago, crashmon said:

So what we are saying is we are relying on away fans to make up the gates? You would expect London to have more home fans vs away fans at every game, if progress is to be made?

I think a 1,000+ crowd for Widnes is a safe bet.

But it won't be majority London fans.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Widnes took over 1000 to some away games in 2019. South London is obviously a good bit further than say Oldham or Swinton, and it remains to be seen whether crowds will return to be pre-pandemic levels. But I'd still expect Bradford, Leigh and Widnes to bring hundreds of fans.

Yep. 2000+ for the Widnes game seems very doable.

No doubt there will be fair few discounted/free community tickets + heavy promotion by Wimbledon. And maybe even, you know, some Broncos fans 😉

So a better yardstick would be the cumbrian games / dewsbury / sheffield / york to view how much impact the move has.  We never played widnes at trailfinders so can't really do any sort of comparison.

So the first yardstone will be on feb 13th vs Haven. In 2020 we had 735 fans for this fixture, so will be interesting how this fixtures compares. 

I don't know what promotion they'll do for the Widnes game but my rule of thumb for away support in London is 10% of that club's home average. Widnes might therefore bring around 400, possibly more for a season opener. 

I'm still struggling to see a big take up by Broncos supporters. Season tickets went on sale on Monday and I expect sales to be slow. 

I'm out of the frame as a fan these days but I'm still following progress closely. I am struck by the sheer lack of energy and enthusiasm coming out of the club - website remains awful, social media posts point to on/off quiz nights and not much else, a rambling lament from the owner has been published. As one poster on here might say, where's the sizzle? 

As a ST holder - LOL at 5k.

Still - at least there is ambition there.

Was the lad from the youth set up that Wigan poached any good? I believe he was Brazilian?

After Pearce-Paul, would be interesting to see how he goes.

Realistically Broncos will target Dons season ticket holder and members. If we finger in the air that at 3,000 people, a 10% conversion rate, which would be impressive to my eyes, is 300. 

I'd be stunned if they manage to drag back old Broncos fans much beyond the 1k level - and that would be a good response. The others are too long gone now 

Add those figure to the 2021 gates and you are well short of 5k. I can only imagine the club are expecting promotion within three years (therefore more away fans) and lots of locals,being dragged in via the community work. 

Few clubs generate thousands of new fans through community work in three seasons, it's typically a slow burn. 

It's certainly a very ambitious target. Not impossible with the proper investment and strategies. We currently don't have any real insight in to how the club plan to drive this transformation.

Their best bet for that would be to give free entrance and go for a Toronto style experience. Try and get the money through food, drink and merchandise. Apparently the Wolfpack did $30k in merchandise each home game.

The ST is still the same price as next year, so I don't see 5k paying £240 a head or £22 each on the day.

36 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Realistically Broncos will target Dons season ticket holder and members. If we finger in the air that at 3,000 people, a 10% conversion rate, which would be impressive to my eyes, is 300. 

That would be an unprecedented conversion rate.

300 would probably cover all of the Brentford, Quins, Barnet and Ealing supporters who went on to regularly attend Broncos games.

8 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Their best bet for that would be to give free entrance and go for a Toronto style experience. Try and get the money through food, drink and merchandise. Apparently the Wolfpack did $30k in merchandise each home game.

The ST is still the same price as next year, so I don't see 5k paying £240 a head or £22 each on the day.

That money would not allgo to the Broncos though, some of it would go to the Dons (I again could be wrong apologies if I am). So would that get funds for London to improve the squad to challenge for getting back into SL (which has to be part of the 5 year ambition)

I agree, 10% is ambitious.

I would add that, with the exception of a bit of a token effort at Quins, Broncos didn't really seem to try to convert fans at the other clubs.

I'm assuming there is going to be a properly thought through and funded fan engagement strategy aimed at the core Dons support. 

If not, a 1% conversion rate is more likely...

Archived