London Broncos Moving Update

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Opposite you will be a completely empty stand of blue and yellow seats spelling out THE DONS. Behind that, blocks of flats. I thought about posting a photo but I want to leave something to the imagination.

Whereas at Ealing you'd be looking at no stand at all, plastic perimeter railing and a sort-of wendyhouse for the coaching staff... 🙂

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Whereas at Ealing you'd be looking at no stand at all, plastic perimeter railing and a sort-of wendyhouse for the coaching staff... 🙂

Again, you seem to be confusing Plough Lane with the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in terms of its wider appeal.

It's functional and fine. A decent enough lower league football ground. That almost certainly is a step up from Ealing.

But is it the draw you think its?

Not remotely.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Explain, pls.

He's a football fan from Kent. 

He has little to no interest in RL and knows nothing about it. I just don't see the large crossover.

As someone already pointed out - even a 10% conversion is not a lot and they won't do that.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Indeed, neither is inspiring. Your point was to make out that one is and one isn't. I don't think you'll manage to.

But I have a question: how have AFCW fans reacted to season tickets going on sale?

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Again, you seem to be confusing Plough Lane with the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in terms of its wider appeal.

It's functional and fine. A decent enough lower league football ground. That almost certainly is a step up from Ealing.

Not remotely.

The 6,943 attendance vs Crewe on a freezing Tuesday night this week suggests otherwise. 

That's around double what it would have been at Kingsmeadow, which was an inadequate ground with poor facilities...

Plough Lane will have a similar impact on Broncos crowds re Ealing.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The 6,943 attendance vs Crewe on a freezing Tuesday night this week suggests otherwise. 

That's around double what it would have been at Kingsmeadow, which was an inadequate ground with poor facilities...

i think crowds might improve, from a low base, but I don't see 1500 even. Not with a PT side.

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

He's a football fan from Kent. 

He has little to no interest in RL and knows nothing about it. I just don't see the large crossover.

As someone already pointed out - even a 10% conversion is not a lot and they won't do that.

Ah, OK.

9 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Indeed, neither is inspiring. Your point was to make out that one is and one isn't. I don't think you'll manage to.

But I have a question: how have AFCW fans reacted to season tickets going on sale?

I've seen a few posts saying people are looking forward to the summer games, when there's no football and they can go to Plough Lane and watch live sport with a beer etc. 

Yet the idea isn't to convert 1000s of Dons fans into Broncos fans. Of course, there will be some who support the venture out of a sense of loyalty, and the numbers may well swell as more people see for themselves what a great sport we have.

The key thing is the community aspect. Encouragingly, the Broncos big cheeses seem to get this.

The community blocks are exactly what's needed, as is the community work with DLAG - getting the word out and being associated with the area.

If the Hughes target of 5,000 in three years is to be reached, reaching out to the people of Merton, Wandsworth and Kingston is vital.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Doubling the attendance from 200 to 400? Seems to be a lack of ambition.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I really think at least this season they should give Dons ST fans free access to all broncos games up to end of July, and then include all Broncos home games from August onwards in the 2022-2023 Dons ST offer. I have no skin in this, as I don't watch football, but it seems to me if there are some Dons fans wanting to watch summer rugby, letting them and family in free if they are Dons ST holders will hopefully encourage them to attend if the performances on the pitch are painful to endure.

For me I'd much rather see London 44 - 24 Fev at Ealing (2018 score), rather than the likey battering we will get a PL next year (if we match the 28-48 score from 2021 I'll be amazed, more likely be 6-60 or something). The results on the pitch matter to me, not the place we are playing in.  Now if we are in Super League that would be different, but considering the RL Championship is at a similar level to at best the Vandarrama conference in football, I'm really not fussed where we play, as long as we are winning and challenging for promotion

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Not remotely.

A smaller Leigh Sports Village with more expensive beer.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

From Wikipedia today…

London Broncos Rugby League

On 13 December 2013, it was confirmed that rugby league club London Broncos would move to the Hive for two seasons, commencing with the 2014 season. In round 2 of the 2014 Super League season Broncos played their first match at the Hive, against Salford Red Devils.

The record crowd for the Broncos in 2014 was against Super League giants Wigan Warriors where 2,013 were in attendance at the Hive.

The Broncos left The Hive at the end of the 2015 season and moved to the Trailfinders Sports Ground in Ealing for 2016

On 20 August 2016, London Broncos hosted 10 times Super League champions Leeds attracting a then record rugby leaguecrowd at the ground ( Trailfinders ) of 1,845. It was also the first ever televised sports match at the ground, with Sky Sportsbroadcasting the game.

On 2 September 2019, London Broncos set a new rugby league attendance record at the ground when a crowd of 3,051 watched Broncos host Leeds Rhinos

The problem for us,or most of us on this forum,  is that we don’t really know what the real financial arrangements were and are at Barnet, Trailfinders or Plough Lane so it’s hard to know what is really driving these decisions.

All I can say is that I liked the match experience at Ealing and I don’t think many people will come to watch a team at Wimbledon just because they can look at an new empty stadium on the other side of the ground. To get any sort of momentum going we will need a very successful team. 

On 29/01/2021 at 08:56, Archie Gordon said:

The point I would re-make here is a strategic one. The Broncos have been at TFSG since 2016 and have incrementally built the fanbase at the same time as incrementally improving the facilities. Alongside that, they've built up a successful academy system and got closer than ever to the community game.

This has been an evolutionary process but, on all measures, things have slowly and modestly been getting better. And the idea that TFSG is now at its limit of development just isn't true. A new stand has been built, extra toilets have been added, outdoor bars are now in place, a big screen has been added. Sure, there IS an absolute limit to growth at TFSG but we're not there yet. Nor do the ambitious union tenants feel that the limit has been reached - see the addition of the aforementioned big screen in late 2020.

We seem to have found a home at which we're growing year-on-year (utterly, fantastically remarkable in our history - please dont underestimate this), where our vision for the club/ground is apparently matched by the other tenant, where there is a demonstrable record of ongoing ground improvement (not enough toilets - fixed; not enough bars/catering - fixed; not enough seats for a 2.5k crowd - fixed; no big screen - fixed; not enough seats/standing for a 3-5k crowd - fixable).

It's really not clear to me how the move to TFSG could have gone any better. We've seen textbook sustainable, linear growth.

And yet the club, in all its wisdom, feels that the past 5 years has been a mistake and wants to take us back to 2016 and start from scratch in a different part of London. To top it off, they want this re-boot to happen in the middle of a pandemic. And the justification for rewinding 5 years of development? The claim that in some hypothetical future where the team gets promoted, empty blue seats will look so much better on TV.

Absolutely.

A couple of things about Barnet that chime with now.

We moved there with a cobbled together team, were uncompetitive, and were surprised that the crowds were dreadful. 

In the second year, the Championship team fired occasionally, including vs Leigh in front of 1k. However, once the move to a new venue for 2016 was announced, crowds fell to 300.

12 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

The problem for us,or most of us on this forum,  is that we don’t really know what the real financial arrangements were and are at Barnet, Trailfinders or Plough Lane so it’s hard to know what is really driving these decisions.

All I can say is that I liked the match experience at Ealing and I don’t think many people will come to watch a team at Wimbledon just because they can look at an new empty stadium on the other side of the ground. To get any sort of momentum going we will need a very successful team. 

I'd further that by saying (as an outsider looking in) that staying in one place for a while might help in terms of attendances - for me a team that constantly moves about just looks unsuccessful and unattractive to the casual fan/neutral. That said I like London as a club and genuinely want them to be successful so not a dig at all.

On 27/11/2021 at 08:58, overtheborder said:

I'd further that by saying (as an outsider looking in) that staying in one place for a while might help in terms of attendances - for me a team that constantly moves about just looks unsuccessful and unattractive to the casual fan/neutral. That said I like London as a club and genuinely want them to be successful so not a dig at all.

I couldn’t agree more. We need a permanent base where we can put down roots. Why we keep moving is, genuinely, a mystery to me, hence my comments that we don’t really know the real reasons for each move. The Wigan v Catalan match at Millwall shows we could be getting more paying spectators than we are getting at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived