London Broncos Moving Update

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Come on MOK - Head on the Block time, for London v Swinton Lions what's "decent" and how many will be paying?

Having been brought up in the Wimbledon area, I can state with some certainty that there is no craving for "Rugby" full stop in SW London  But are not Dons Fans concerned that the tenants are not going to be around in three years time far less in Super league so what financial gurantees are being given to AFC Wimbledon?

I think 2k is doable in the Champ, factoring Broncos fans - current/lapsed, Dons fans, locals, away fans etc.

Having lived in Wimbledon myself, I can assure you there is interest in rugby (albeit mostly t'other code)!  To suggest SW London is a rugby desert is laughable.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Rugby is WEST LONDON (Union and League) anywhere else is a complete waste of time IMHO for what its worth.

The joint share with a football club (Call it the football bounce) lasts no more usually than 1 match 

FULHAM/CARDIFF/CARLISLE/SCARBOROUGH/MANSFIELD/PSG/CHARLTON etc etc etc 

Paul

London's best attendances since their first season were at Charlton.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Actually that's not a bad idea. If You can have Quins RL you can have Dons RL playing in the famed Yellow and Blue. Seriously if your going to get Dons fans to bond with another sport. A sport which they have never bothered watching before despite having the opportunity in various parts of London, a rebranding as Dons RL makes sense.

The Loyal and Loud (or rather what's left of them)  instead of singing "Were Quins RL, Were Quins RL" can then sing "Were Dons RL, Were Dons RL"

Come on MOK - Head on the Block time, for London v Swinton Lions what's "decent" and how many will be paying?

Having been brought up in the Wimbledon area, I can state with some certainty that there is no craving for "Rugby" full stop in SW London  But are not Dons Fans concerned that the tenants are not going to be around in three years time far less in Super league so what financial gurantees are being given to AFC Wimbledon?

I think,depending on whether or not fans are allowed in without restrictions ,Swinton Lions would take a few hundred fans down to London,be it West or South West London.

And seeing that the overseas trip to Toulouse is not going to happen then maybe this one will be the one the fans will want to make a weekend of,if of course Boris Johnson allows it.

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

They came close to those early figures whilst at the stoop twice and griffin park.

This move is different to the others since 2002 in my opinion as it is the last under the current ownership model and wimbledon are getting a few years of try before you buy. They need crowds to turn up if they are to consider owning a RL club to go with their football club and their shiny stadium. 

As others have said. The broncos need to up their game in the marketing and social media departments if this is to work.

SGM ongoing. Drinks break. Vote due at 10pm.

The planning application went in two weeks ago. Merton are said to be v positive. Decision expected in 4-6 weeks.

The rugby posts will be placed in line with the six yard box. Roughly five metre in-goal then astroturf run-off.

If the vote is Yes, the Dons Trust Board will look to set up a special committee with a remit to boost crowds for Broncos games - Dons fans, locals etc - preferably in conjunction with Broncos (I assume BOSG?).

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

If the vote is Yes, the Dons Trust Board will look to set up a special committee with a remit to boost crowds for Broncos games - Dons fans, locals etc - preferably in conjunction with Broncos (I assume BOSG?).

BOSG are relatively new and have zero relevant track record.  Does anyone on BOSG have relevant experience? Does anyone on BOSG have relevant contacts in the relevant geographic area? Does BOSG have sufficient budget?

Whatever people think of this move, there is almost universal agreement this is a critical move for the future of Broncos.

I would have no issue with individuals from BOSG with relevant skills / experience bring involved. However, if the club simply hand this over to BOSG it will be clear there is no fan attraction / retention strategy behind this move and will strongly suggest it's just another case of Broncos sticking a pin in a map.

Fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

BOSG are relatively new and have zero relevant track record.  Does anyone on BOSG have relevant experience? Does anyone on BOSG have relevant contacts in the relevant geographic area? Does BOSG have sufficient budget?

Whatever people think of this move, there is almost universal agreement this is a critical move for the future of Broncos.

I would have no issue with individuals from BOSG with relevant skills / experience bring involved. However, if the club simply hand this over to BOSG it will be clear there is no fan attraction / retention strategy behind this move and will strongly suggest it's just another case of Broncos sticking a pin in a map.

Fingers crossed.

The idea is to have a joint committee or group between the Dons Trust and the Broncos to discuss how to boost crowds. BOSG was my assumption, as they are the nearest thing to Dons Trust.

Understood and I'm not opposed to the committee.

I do have reason to suspect the Broncos may be taking fan attraction seriously - at last. They have to.

Drawing a new crowd to a club and sport that are basically unknown in the area is a much harder challenge than rebooting a club and sport that are already known in the area. That's why I would be concerned if this was left to BOSG. (The flip side is the Dons link is a real potential positive.)

7 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Understood and I'm not opposed to the committee.

I do have reason to suspect the Broncos may be taking fan attraction seriously - at last. They have to.

Drawing a new crowd to a club and sport that are basically unknown in the area is a much harder challenge than rebooting a club and sport that are already known in the area. That's why I would be concerned if this was left to BOSG. (The flip side is the Dons link is a real potential positive.)

I'm not sure it's completely virgin territory. One of the DT board members said he watched Broncos at the Valley, another at Fulham, and several other fans said they'd watched Broncos in some form. An exiled Wire fan said he'd buy a season ticket.

The Wimbledon chief exec said the Broncos database was very decent. Seems there's plenty of latent support to work with.

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm not sure it's completely virgin territory. One of the DT board members said he watched Broncos at the Valley, another at Fulham, and several other fans said they'd watched Broncos in some form. An exiled Wire fan said he'd buy a season ticket.

The Wimbledon chief exec said the Broncos database was very decent. Seems there's plenty of latent support to work with.

Are Wimbledon taking an active part in running London? It seems a lot more than just a groundshare from what you say.

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are Wimbledon taking an active part in running London? It seems a lot more than just a groundshare from what you say.

I wouldn't go that far, no.

The 'top brass' is keenly aware that the bigger the gates, the more Broncos can spend on players and higher the revenue for Wimbledon.

So they want to make it a success and hence talk of a committee to explore how to boost gates, with the ultimate aim of seeing Broncos in Super League. 

16 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

SGM ongoing. Drinks break. Vote due at 10pm.

The planning application went in two weeks ago. Merton are said to be v positive. Decision expected in 4-6 weeks.

The rugby posts will be placed in line with the six yard box. Roughly five metre in-goal then astroturf run-off.

It's a bug bear of mine when we have grounds with such small in-goal areas. 5 metres leaves very little margin for error, for grubber kicks looking for tries/repeat sets. As the risk of it going out on the full is higher, more often kickers just kick high to the corners, which is a shame. It also means our halves don't learn the ability to build pressure through repeat sets

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I suspect this is true (although count me out as I have now transferred my allegiances to Skolars 🙃) however the key to igniting it (or whatever it is you do with latent support) is creating a buzz and excitement about travelling to watch London play. That's where marketing, promotion and planning come in. You also need a good product on the pitch (although watching them against York on Sunday that may not be an issue) and a good match day experience.

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The idea is to have a joint committee or group between the Dons Trust and the Broncos to discuss how to boost crowds. BOSG was my assumption, as they are the nearest thing to Dons Trust.

Not to too pedantic but the LBSA (London Broncos Supporters Association) is an actual trust and has been going a few years. Good luck to BOSG,  but they have only been around a few months, albeit with Official Broncos backing. 

19 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think,depending on whether or not fans are allowed in without restrictions ,Swinton Lions would take a few hundred fans down to London,be it West or South West London.

And seeing that the overseas trip to Toulouse is not going to happen then maybe this one will be the one the fans will want to make a weekend of,if of course Boris Johnson allows it.

And one up from the South Coast.

17 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

Not to too pedantic but the LBSA (London Broncos Supporters Association) is an actual trust and has been going a few years. Good luck to BOSG,  but they have only been around a few months, albeit with Official Broncos backing. 

At least one of the Trust board has high relevant experience too. It's so important to the future of the club I'd hope Broncos would work with with both BOSG and the Trust on this one, with a Broncos person leading the Broncos input.

On 31/03/2021 at 09:46, Magic XIII said:

Let's hope they have a very competitive side, ideally a winning side, to attract the punters

The championship is highly competitive this season. On paper it’s the worst broncos team in a while but I still hope they will play attractive footy. I’m expecting them to just miss out on the playoffs. 

32 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

Ah, OK. I didn't know LBSA is a trust, actually. That's good to know.

On 31/03/2021 at 14:57, Man of Kent said:

I think 2k Dons fans is unrealistic in the Championship but a coalition of current Broncos fans, lapsed Broncos fans who want to watch in a proper stadium, Dons fans, locals, general sports fans, the London RL community, schools etc should push gates towards 'decent' level.  

20 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I think 2k is doable in the Champ, factoring Broncos fans - current/lapsed, Dons fans, locals, away fans etc.

Come on MOK that's two contradictory statements within a few hours. You will get the normal novelty value for the first game but after that when they realise its a bang average championship club playing other Championship clubs at £ 25 a pop (not what Dons fans will be paying I trust). Attendances will go off the cliff edge.

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The 'top brass' is keenly aware that the bigger the gates, the more Broncos can spend on players and higher the revenue for Wimbledon.

Full marks for honesty but how long is it going to be before Dons fans come to resent being perceived to be spending money on an ailing Rugby League Club.

To quote David Hughes - A Pastel Revolution, Page 158

Some guys including myself, wanted to turn Charlton into a sporting entity, playing rugby and football all year round. But most of the guys on the board felt it was too much of a burden. They could see the potential but argued that if Charltion got relegated the crowd might turn on them and accuse them of focusing more on the rugby than the soccer

You see if the Dons Trust really wanted to partner up with London Broncos then they would have insisted on DonsRL playing in the Yellow and Blue with AFC Wimbledon becoming a true sporting club. Now that has legs, so is that coming up at your Dons Trust meetings ?

As for the latent support, well you have to ask the same question again if you that keen on Rugby League and you know a club was in town why were you not going. Forget about all the internet posters with friends and Harvey the Rabbit who insist that, although they dont go to Broncos games themselves, once its in a shiny new stadium there will be thousands every week. Where is the proof that fans will flock to see an ordinary and next year part-time Championship Rugby League Club.

As was once said

" History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."

It might not be politically accurate but it sure sums up the London Broncos.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

22 hours ago, Damien said:

Wasn’t sustained though

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

If they're going to use the 6 metre line for what we used to call the goal lines, then the pitch will be below the minimum length for SL, surely. Didn't Fev have this problem and had to spend a fairly large sum to put it right?

No, Fev didn't have that problem - they simply took advantage when building the new stands to extend the pitch length. The laws state that the pitch dimensions should be 'as near maximum as possible to the dimensions stipulated'

Archived