Salford fined for failing to fulfil a fixture

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TGG is full of it sometimes!

"At a time when other sports have been criticised for their approaches to player welfare, Salford Red Devils are disappointed that the RFL have not supported the stance taken by the Club. This will not alter the Club’s priorities and approach going forward."

S-A- L   F- O- R-D!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

There is the obvious parallel to be drawn here.

Since Salford voted for the end of Toronto they have reneged on millions in debt and been fined for failing to fulfil fixtures. 

Why anyone thought that is an acceptable position for the game to be in is beyond me 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Plenty games were cancelled due to Covid. Wasn't it the case that it wasn't due to Covid that Salford cancelled this game? 

Yep injuries were cited. A good cup run hampered Salford trying to fit their games in

Then the league change the league format when other clubs cited issues (eg Saints going to Catalans, Hull KR Saying they wouldn’t complete the season)

Yep they broke the rule, but was exceptional circumstances

15 minutes ago, Spidey said:

We either complete the season or don’t 

Well, if anything was proven this year, this wasnt really the case. 

Leeds didnt fulfil a fixture, Salford didnt fulfil their fixtures, Hull KR unilaterally decided to end their season, Toronto did the same. 

7 minutes ago, my missus said:

didn't saints refuse to go to catalan.

No, they didn’t. It was claimed in L’Independent, the French paper that covers Catalans, that we did but that’s as far as it seemed to go and the game was cancelled by Super League “due to the lockdown and travel restrictions”. 

41 minutes ago, Spidey said:

We either complete the season or don’t 

We did however have specific rules to cater for the exceptional circumstances. I do have sympathy for them because of the fact we were scheduling Tuesday night games around them. 

Maybe a nominal fine would be appropriate, maybe £7.5k is seen to be that? 

1 hour ago, Scotchy1 said:

There is the obvious parallel to be drawn here.

Since Salford voted for the end of Toronto they have reneged on millions in debt and been fined for failing to fulfil fixtures. 

Why anyone thought that is an acceptable position for the game to be in is beyond me 

I guess the saying "You reap what you sow" comes to mind

In fairness they effectively admit in their statement that they had players available to fulfil the fixture and chose not to. The fact that two of them were young players on debut and some were playing their first game back after injury is a weak excuse when other clubs have fulfilled fixtures under similar conditions.

If they were that bothered about player welfare they would invest more in having a squad capable of rotation and handling injuries.

8 minutes ago, Moove said:

In fairness they effectively admit in their statement that they had players available to fulfil the fixture and chose not to. The fact that two of them were young players on debut and some were playing their first game back after injury is a weak excuse when other clubs have fulfilled fixtures under similar conditions.

If they were that bothered about player welfare they would invest more in having a squad capable of rotation and handling injuries.

And an academy

7 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

We either have rules, or we don't.

Or we have rules but we apply them or we don't!

6 hours ago, Moove said:

In fairness they effectively admit in their statement that they had players available to fulfil the fixture and chose not to.

In fairness they didn't and I'm not going to go into why that was the case as you clearly haven't been bothered to either.

We're all in this together, you know! RL family ?

3 hours ago, Live after death said:

What fixture did Leeds fail yo fulfil   

3 hours ago, Live after death said:

What fixture did Leeds fail yo fulfil   

Catalans away. They decided, unilaterally, that they were not going to play the game

29 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

No we're not, SL clubs demonstrated that this year, it's survival of the fittest.

You missed the irony memo then? I guess we all did really.

Archived