Strangest thing you've ever eaten

7 hours ago, George Watt said:

Last had it in South Africa back in 1967 when I had a Lebanese friend who invited me for lunch at his parents home around Easter. Told halfway through the meal we were eating sheep's brain which was quite edible but have never had it since. Traditional Lebanese Easter dish?  Here in Aus I have  eaten a witchetty grub which is an Aboriginal food.

That was common in AUS back in the 50s and 60s. Brain in bread crumbs lightly fried. My only memory was that it was rather bland.

I ate a red-bellied black snake I found in one of my chook sheds once. I tried to shoo him away and overall, I had a good, mutual-avoidance relationship with the local snakes but this one was in a shed full of baby chicks and wasn't leaving.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Strathmore Hotel in Adelaide used to have a meat item on their menu that consisted of a piece of crocodile, shark, kangaroo and steak.  The meat was raw and you cooked it on your individual stone grill.  Really enjoyed it.

As for Kangaroo, every time we have a bbq someone always brings along peppered Kangaroo pieces.  I quite like it.  When we arrived in Oz we used to call it ‘bouncy chicken’ to encourage our youngest daughter to eat it.

I'm vegetarian now, but eaten all kinds of horrible things on business trips to China, Japan etc. where it seems to be a game to see what vile food you can persuade the foreigner to eat. Shark fin soup, birds nest soup, probably other things from endangered species, snake curry, octopus ice cream, dishes where the fishes are still alive and swimming round on your plate, seaweed of various sorts.

Kangaroo and crocodile at an Australian restaurant in Copenhagen. Crickets, scorpions. Guinea pig and alpaca in Peru.

17 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Winkle sandwiches.

My mum was partial to Christmas/fruit cake sandwiches - no icing she wasn't that odd. 

interesting - have to pick a lot for a sandwich

although we used to refer to them as Cuins.... used to eat whilst watching the Flying Doctor on TV -  guess shows my age... 

a lot of the meals my mrs makes should really be sent to a lab to be identfied - i dont say owt as shes put just as much time and effort (with best intention) in to her creation as dr frankenstein did with his 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

50 minutes ago, redjonn said:

interesting - have to pick a lot for a sandwich

although we used to refer to them as Cuins.... used to eat whilst watching the Flying Doctor on TV -  guess shows my age... 

The hardest part was shelling them without being tempted to eat them (well not too many). Don't think I could bring myself to eat them now with a pin never mind make a sandwich. 

36 minutes ago, Griff said:

Mrs Griff made me a pork pie sandwich last month.

Like I need the bread for extra carbs or summat.🙄

Now, crispy pancake sandwiches.... 

9 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

We need a new thread if we're doing food you eat after coming back from the pub 🙂

That was from my early secondary schooldays, crispy pancakes, chips and peas for dinner during the holidays. Bought some crispy pancakes last year when Mrs S was away but they're nothing like they used to be - apart from having virtually no filling I suspect too many flavourings and colourings have been banned since then! 

I'm not sure I've ever eaten anything too weird apart from a variety of kudu/zebra/impala steaks on safari in South Africa. They were cooked outdoors on a 'braai' and were utterly delicious.

The worst thing that has ever passed my lips however is mushrooms. They are satan's greatest achievement and, just to stay on topic, I find it way beyond weird that people eat them.

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

That was from my early secondary schooldays, crispy pancakes, chips and peas for dinner during the holidays. Bought some crispy pancakes last year when Mrs S was away but they're nothing like they used to be - apart from having virtually no filling I suspect too many flavourings and colourings have been banned since then! 

Crispy pancakes were like an exotic wonder food when they 1st came out when I was at junior school. 

20 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Possibly they are not what they were, or maybe (and just as likely) your palate is a little more experienced than it was in your schooldays. I don't recall them having a lot of filling back in the day, to be honest. I do remember begging my mum to buy some, though, and really liking them.

Or maybe those old artificial additives were really tasty after all. Can't tell without a time machine.

But the basic idea of a filled pancake with a breaded coating is ace. Probably not too hard to make at home, with your own choice of filling. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

I thought it was chewy.

No, that's wookiee, not horse.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Crispy pancakes were like an exotic wonder food when they 1st came out when I was at junior school. 

Sometimes it is best to leave childhood wonder back in your childhood, just in case the reality disappoints the modern you and ruins a happy memory. I remember being totally impressed by Bird's Ice Magic. I also remember being totally impressed by the Sinclair ZX80.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Sometimes it is best to leave childhood wonder back in your childhood, just in case the reality disappoints the modern you and ruins a happy memory. I remember being totally impressed by Bird's Ice Magic. I also remember being totally impressed by the Sinclair ZX80.

Yep, just like Sidestep I had a couple a few years back and they had no filling and all I could taste was salt . 

8 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Yep, just like Sidestep I had a couple a few years back and they had no filling and all I could taste was salt . 

It has got me thinking, though. Maybe making a version at home with bigger pancakes and plenty of filling - something like spicy pulled pork, or Chinese chicken curry, or maybe the elements of Peking Duck (meat, spring onions, cucumber, sauce), but served inside a crispy pancake. Could be fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

yep for sure....

I had a stroke couple years back and upon coming home from hospital and feeling a bit  in need of something to cheer up me taste buds, so to speak... I had a desire for Birds Eye fish fingers not having had any since being a little un... don't ask me why but that's what came out when the missus asked...

It was just something my mind told me would be just the ticket... had this image of nice think plump fingers of tasty fish in a thin covering of breadcrumbs...  never been so disappointment with the little thin fingers, no more than breadcrumbs with the thinnest slice of fish possible.

yep reality can sometimes never match the dream/desire

Archived