Strangest thing you've ever eaten

9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I actually fancy wasabi kit-kat, I might try the shop on Queens Road.

They’re not bad you know, as an occasional thing. Cadbury’s Dairy Milk will always be my staple though. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

They’re not bad you know, as an occasional thing. Cadbury’s Dairy Milk will always be my staple though. 

I have become a bit of a fan of Cadbury's Darkmilk and/or Galaxy Darker - they are a sort of halfway house between milk and dark chocolate.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think I've just made the strangest thing I've eaten for a while. A real cupboard concoction.

Boil shell pasta, fry frozen mushrooms with the last dregs of a jar of sliced jalapenos, put in some garam masala, turmeric and tomato puree, add soy sauce, white rum and some posh ground coffee, finally add black pepper and boiled pasta.

Actually not bad.

On 20/12/2020 at 17:57, Futtocks said:

It has got me thinking, though. Maybe making a version at home with bigger pancakes and plenty of filling - something like spicy pulled pork, or Chinese chicken curry, or maybe the elements of Peking Duck (meat, spring onions, cucumber, sauce), but served inside a crispy pancake. Could be fun.

They did versions on an episode of River Cottage.

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I didn’t even know what that was until I just looked it up! What does it taste like? 

Actually I think I remember seeing that fruit when I lived in the ME but thought it was Rambutan. 

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I didn’t even know what that was until I just looked it up! What does it taste like? 

I'd describe it as a mix of onion and melon, with a slight hint of sewer.

I had durian ice cream a couple of years ago, but thought it was really bland. My wife has some durian trees in her orchard in Thailand, but it is quite difficult to grow. I keep hoping we get one of the perfect ones to auction (one was sold a couple of years ago for £37,500!).

On 27/12/2020 at 15:22, Bleep1673 said:

My second job, when I was 20, was working in Trafford Park restoring Furniture for a charity, with some Irishmen. In the New Year (1984), a bottle appeared and thimble sized slugs were being passed around, I had a go, and nearly passed out it was so strong, the guy in the sealed booth who was the French polisher said even he could smell it in his booth, and banned it from his booth, as it might take the polish off a table he was working on.

Brent Ealing used to have an Irish club as their base many years ago and we were playing them last game before Xmas. Post match we were enjoying the hospitality and as the numbers dwindled, it was just a few of the players plus the locals. At this point one kind gent came round with a flagon (OK, large jug !) topping up your pint with poitin. I'd only had a couple of sips but my mate was down to about 1/3 ! Still can't remember getting home. Vague memories of a couple on banjo and bodhran as new folk arrived after the evening 'opening' 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

5 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I think I've just made the strangest thing I've eaten for a while. A real cupboard concoction.

Boil shell pasta, fry frozen mushrooms with the last dregs of a jar of sliced jalapenos, put in some garam masala, turmeric and tomato puree, add soy sauce, white rum and some posh ground coffee, finally add black pepper and boiled pasta.

Actually not bad.

you "think" you made it........ just how much of the white rum did you drink this morning ? :kolobok_hang3: 

20 hours ago, BJW said:

Brent Ealing used to have an Irish club as their base many years ago and we were playing them last game before Xmas. Post match we were enjoying the hospitality and as the numbers dwindled, it was just a few of the players plus the locals. At this point one kind gent came round with a flagon (OK, large jug !) topping up your pint with poitin. I'd only had a couple of sips but my mate was down to about 1/3 ! Still can't remember getting home. Vague memories of a couple on banjo and bodhran as new folk arrived after the evening 'opening' 

Longwood  Club, now no more. I used to play for Ealing.

If we can include drinks in this thread, one of my Christmas present was a three-pack of small bottles of 'Noveltea'. Drinks made from tea and spirits.

3rd Place: Oolong tea with whisky: a bit insipid, but the general idea is good. A stronger-flavoured version would be nice.

2nd Place: Earl Grey tea with gin: refreshing without the bergamot overpowering everything and much better than the whisky one, but... 

The Winner: Mint tea with rum: Ooh yes! Very very nice indeed and would be even better if I had the willpower to save it 'til Summer.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived