California vs. The World (IRL)

If you’re on Instagram they’ve added a screenshot to their story @california_RL

The picture is too big to upload but it basically is the IRL sending them a DM saying:

“Thanks for thinking of us in your tweet. I was going to reach and see if we could assist in any way - but you seem to be OK!”

California RL replied:

”Stick to promoting Meghan Markle’s husband”

27 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

739D8FBD-FC6E-4BE5-99E2-B8FB7F74FEB1.jpeg

What, like Yorkshire?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Lolz. Pathetic BLM stuff. 

The “male, pale and stale” mantra has been around for at least a decade ... well it was around ten years ago when I first heard someone describe the ARU that way. I’ve heard it other times since.

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Don't know much about the Maori, is there actually a Maori nation within NZ, you know like how Native Americans have their own lands and nations within the US? I presume they have their own council or government so to speak. 

You'd need to ask a Kiwi but I don't think it's equivalent to there being specific 'nations' in the US.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You'd need to ask a Kiwi but I don't think it's equivalent to there being specific 'nations' in the US.

From what I understand from programmes I've seen, they do seem to be much more integrated into the rest of society than natives in the US are. Their culture and traditions seem to be much more ingrained and appreciated. Anyway, that's a discussion for a different thread, going slightly off topic here. 

16 hours ago, Damien said:

So whats all this about and whats the story? California Rugby League seems to be of little substance and I'm always dubious of these kinds of wild allegations from random organisations.

I'm not really sure about the specific details of this but they're not really wrong.

As someone involved in developing the game in a new region, the IRL are more of a pain than a help.

new rise.jpg

Sadly, some people who "offer to volunteer" seem to simultaneously have a massive sense of entitlement to go with it.  Only a fool would expect a 3-employee organisation to be able to "conquer" the world.

Also, I am pretty certain "california RL" is nothing more than a rogue twitter account, or "fan page" at best.  I highly doubt there is any officially registered legal entity behind it, so their attempts to pose as some sort of a governing body, let alone demand to be recognised as a sovereign nation are absurd, and I think we've already given them far more attention than they deserve.

15 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

From what I understand from programmes I've seen, they do seem to be much more integrated into the rest of society than natives in the US are. Their culture and traditions seem to be much more ingrained and appreciated. Anyway, that's a discussion for a different thread, going slightly off topic here. 

If you google " Treaty of Waitangi" you may get a better understanding of why the Maoris have been more successful than other indigenous races in integrating with the colonisers. I don`t think the Maoris consider themselves to have ever have been defeated by the British. In fact I think I read somewhere that the Maoris were the only Indigenous peoples that the British ever signed a peace treaty with.

I think the crux of it was they were recognised as British subjects and given all the rights of a British subject and therefore had a say in the running of their own country from the start of British colonisation. This would go along way in ensuring they were treated better than indigenous peoples elsewhere and having a better chance of integrating into the new society. 

Other indigenous peoples were largely marginalised the consequences of which we are still grappling with to this day.

30 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm not really sure about the specific details of this but they're not really wrong.

As someone involved in developing the game in a new region, the IRL are more of a pain than a help.

Whatever the particulars of this minor squall, the absence of a strong world governing body, who among other things would set and own a standard rulebook, makes RL more prone than most to this kind of acrimony. Tas Baitieri went to Russia a while back to try to heal a schism, then there was that Greek Modern Pentathlon fiasco, and the Euro XIII venture all seems highly irregular.

The NRL are the de facto controlling authority but they exert influence by osmosis. And interaction with the rest of the world is never high on their agenda.

If the game grew globally but haphazardly an IRL envoy could be like Terry Waite pitched into a mosaic of factions in 80s Beirut.

Archived