California vs. The World (IRL)

8 hours ago, langpark said:

Sadly, some people who "offer to volunteer" seem to simultaneously have a massive sense of entitlement to go with it.  Only a fool would expect a 3-employee organisation to be able to "conquer" the world.

Also, I am pretty certain "california RL" is nothing more than a rogue twitter account, or "fan page" at best.  I highly doubt there is any officially registered legal entity behind it, so their attempts to pose as some sort of a governing body, let alone demand to be recognised as a sovereign nation are absurd, and I think we've already given them far more attention than they deserve.

They're certainly more than a fan page. They have 4 teams and a youth set-up. 

The comment about California at a WC was firmly tongue-in-cheek from my perspective. 

They're frustrated by useless governing bodies in both the USA and Internationally.

new rise.jpg

13 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The comment about California at a WC was firmly tongue-in-cheek from my perspective. 

They're frustrated by useless governing bodies in both the USA and Internationally.

Do you know much about them mate, if they’re looking to have more teams etc? 

Looks like they’re hoping to play some games in January, good luck to them https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Rugby_League

Edit - odd that the Wikipedia page says the East Palo Alto Razorbacks are from LA though, when it’s near SF and San Jose. 

17 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I am not saying there is no activity there, I am saying, I don't believe "California Rugby League" is an actual organisation that governs them.  Happy to be proven wrong though of course.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you know much about them mate, if they’re looking to have more teams etc? 

Looks like they’re hoping to play some games in January, good luck to them https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Rugby_League

Edit - odd that the Wikipedia page says the East Palo Alto Razorbacks are from LA though, when it’s near SF and San Jose. 

I only know a little about them tbh. I started the California RL Facebook page just to get some attention. I was then contacted by the guys who wanted to get the ball rolling over there. So I handed it all over.

They have had a lot of problems because of COVID which has put them back quite a bit. I'm pretty sure they're keen the expand. I believe the Razorbacks are a new union to league convert team.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

I am not saying there is no activity there, I am saying, I don't believe "California Rugby League" is an actual organisation that governs them.  Happy to be proven wrong though of course.

I'm not really sure what you're saying sorry. They started the game and organise it in California. 

new rise.jpg

On Christmas Day, their Facebook page is airing a video of the most recent game played under their auspices.

Not much else to do on Christmas Day? You could have a look over that and judge what's going on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Some politicians in Texas are hinting at secession if Biden is confirmed. And apparently they`re legally entitled to more than any other State. Do we know if RL has any presence there?

Yes a four team league was set up there last year as I recall. Superb, Texas in the 2025 World Cup. 

Rugby Union is reasonably strong in California. When I toured there they had a good mix of "Americans" and Pacific diaspora players. Naturally as you'd expect its connected to some of the very wealthiest people in the state too.

The bloke who ran a lot of the stuff over there was a League fan from Warrington, he asked Gary Hetherington if they could call their team the Rhinos too. RL would do well to get in with these communities.

23 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Rugby Union is reasonably strong in California. When I toured there they had a good mix of "Americans" and Pacific diaspora players. Naturally as you'd expect its connected to some of the very wealthiest people in the state too.

Unless I`m cumulatively conflating your globetrotting vignettes with those of other posters, you seem to have had quite a champagne, gallivanting good time at the RFU`s expense. Though I suppose you must have had to chip in yourself at times.

Any RU trips to Monaco, Saint-Tropez? They probably toured Acapulco in the past, but it`s got a bit dangerous these days.

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Unless I`m cumulatively conflating your globetrotting vignettes with those of other posters, you seem to have had quite a champagne, gallivanting good time at the RFU`s expense. Though I suppose you must have had to chip in yourself at times.

Any RU trips to Monaco, Saint-Tropez? They probably toured Acapulco in the past, but it`s got a bit dangerous these days.

We went literally around the world (though in effect the tour was an Australia/New Zealand tour with additional stopping points). Sadly they wouldn't let us have any champagne or alcohol of any description in the US.

Archived