Sky Sports halves offer for TV rights

The faith in PE to do things for the sport is understandable.

For me Robert Maxwell and a long line before and after him suggest that such trust may be shaky to say the least.

Going into debt during a depression can never be a great idea.

And we're not playing Dragon's Den here.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me , there is only one reason to risk the PE option , as Scotchy has suggested in the past ( and indeed similar that I've suggested in the past with the lower tiers , which Scotchy then criticised 😉 ) that the sport ( in this case SL ) set up their own production company to create RL content to then sell to whichever broadcasters they/we want 

To me there is no other genuine reason to go down the PE route 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I agree , one club in West Yorkshire , one in Hull , one in Kent , one in Glasgow , and so on , where's ' Big Picture ' ? 

I agree with you that trying to turn the current small time setup into a big city-based major pro league is not possible.  That's why I've said that it could only be done apart from the current structure.

33 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

To me , there is only one reason to risk the PE option , as Scotchy has suggested in the past ( and indeed similar that I've suggested in the past with the lower tiers , which Scotchy then criticised 😉 ) that the sport ( in this case SL ) set up their own production company to create RL content to then sell to whichever broadcasters they/we want 

To me there is no other genuine reason to go down the PE route 

There is little market for the lower leagues on their own. The lower leagues position will only ever be as a compliment to SL.

Footballs championship is massive, far beyond our wildest dreams, or any other sports wildest dreams to be honest. It is also an absolute basket case of a competition that survives solely on exceedingly rich people gambling on making it to SL.

2nd tiers can't 'go it alone'. Its just not going to happen and if tried it will fail quickly and miserably and a big reason for RL's troubles below SL is that the game has never understood that. 

16 hours ago, DC77 said:

All true. The like of Best and Maradona got booted from pillar to post (the Maradona hand of god game for example, prior to his two goals he received shocking treatment from England including defender Terry Fenwick punching him in the face off the ball, which makes what Maradona did with his fist later on much more justified). 

Ron Harris trying to take out Best when he was clean through on goal, and Best riding the challenge before scoring. Pele literally got kicked out of the ‘66 World Cup and vowed never to play in another one. The treatment these players got only elevates them.

Agree with your sentiment entirely with regards to allowing the more creative players in RL shine. How that would be done is the big question though.

I guess a start is doing it in a similar way - that is always penalise foul play, or play that leads to unwarranted rough treatment. For example, a  charge down on the kicker when the player carries through onto the kicker - rather than excepting it... let alone any high shots no matter what.   Could be radical and limit number of tacklers  or even no follow through tackles once tackle in progress, those sneaky take the legs away... or whatever.

Sure better brains than mine can come up with incidents that are generally excepted but are done to intimidate.

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Utter rubbish 

I’m glad we cleared that up

A regional sport in the long-term has limited interest for broadcasters. We’ve let our international game wither on the vine, the obsession with annual promotion & relegation so we don’t remove alleged aspiration from places like Featherstone and Leigh (where we already have market saturation), and some weird concept of ‘fairness’ whatever that is, has prevented out game from taking medium-term decisions that create value. You can object to reality all you like, but it is what it is and ultimately it’s brought us to where we are.

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

13 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

The inevitable consequence of small-minded, pathetic leadership over 10+ years, with a bizarre obsession about how 800 fans of a small village in the north feels about things rather than looking for new, attractive markets to create growth and some value

Well done everyone, well done 

So the SL club bosses ( including yours ) and the various leaders of the sport have been prevented from building it outside the heartlands all due to the fans of who ? , Leigh and who else ? , Fev maybe ? , Batley ? , The Rams ? , Haven or Barrow ? 

Complete utter nonsense 

50 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I’m glad we cleared that up

A regional sport in the long-term has limited interest for broadcasters. We’ve let our international game wither on the vine, the obsession with annual promotion & relegation so we don’t remove alleged aspiration from places like Featherstone and Leigh (where we already have market saturation), and some weird concept of ‘fairness’ whatever that is, has prevented out game from taking medium-term decisions that create value. You can object to reality all you like, but it is what it is and ultimately it’s brought us to where we are.

And you think this is ALL the fault of the fans of a couple of lower tier clubs ? , Seriously ? , If that is the case you are deluded 

The Xmas, Hanukkah, Eid and Diwali spirit doesn't make much headway on here does it?

Christmas Mubarak everyone!

Bon Noel  & Feliz Navidad

Did you know the reduced Sky insult will still be there in the New Year!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

As I posted on the other thread, we got where we are by neglecting the international game, the TV execs had their current offer formed in their minds for sometime, so the alleged cut in funding has nothing to do with Leigh getting the 12th spot, this cut is the culmination of many years of playing no or few international games, along with the sport having a consistently low profile. In fact it could be said that the only good thing about the demise of Toronto is that as we are so low profile very few people outside the sport noticed that it had happened, so we avoided too much negative publicity.

4 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

As I posted on the other thread, we got where we are by neglecting the international game, the TV execs had their current offer formed in their minds for sometime, so the alleged cut in funding has nothing to do with Leigh getting the 12th spot, this cut is the culmination of many years of playing no or few international games, along with the sport having a consistently low profile. In fact it could be said that the only good thing about the demise of Toronto is that as we are so low profile very few people outside the sport noticed that it had happened, so we avoided too much negative publicity.

Sad but very true

On 23/12/2020 at 13:15, GUBRATS said:

And you think this is ALL the fault of the fans of a couple of lower tier clubs ? , Seriously ? , If that is the case you are deluded 

No I don’t. You’re building a straw man and shouting at it. You know full well what I meant, and I’m not going to role play this out from a false position you’re trying to give me. Cheers now. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Archived