Sky Sports halves offer for TV rights

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The sooner that Super League can get purchased by the NRL, the better. Under the brilliant leadership of Peter V'Landys the game will suddenly prosper in the northern hemisphere.

I dont know about that. The AFL just signed a 2 year extention from Foxsports which actually increased in value. V'Landy's signed the NRL to a deal til 2027, kept quite about its value but apparently Foxsports got a discount.

Now the AFL does mention Telstra which I think means digital rights something the NRL still holds. Until we know the 2027 deal, we cannot praise V'Landys yet?

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No I don’t. You’re building a straw man and shouting at it. You know full well what I meant, and I’m not going to role play this out from a false position you’re trying to give me. Cheers now. 

" 800 fans of a small club " ? , So who are you talking about ?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What about the rest of the sport Geordie I can see you have already alloted it all to SL so it could prove to be very disastrous to some or does that not matter? 

Pretty certain this the SL TV deal being negotiated with the Championship/League 1 rights being sold separately. The RFL will get an equal share as the current SL clubs. 

12 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The sooner that Super League can get purchased by the NRL, the better. Under the brilliant leadership of Peter V'Landys the game will suddenly prosper in the northern hemisphere.

Yeah sure, just like when Brisbane bought London, rebranded them the Broncos and applied their Aussie wizardry in London.  We all know how well that worked.

8 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

I dont know about that. The AFL just signed a 2 year extention from Foxsports which actually increased in value. V'Landy's signed the NRL to a deal til 2027, kept quite about its value but apparently Foxsports got a discount.

Now the AFL does mention Telstra which I think means digital rights something the NRL still holds. Until we know the 2027 deal, we cannot praise V'Landys yet?

The AFL has always been willing to tweak their rules and presentation to increase the value of their TV rights, the NRL less so.  For example they went ahead with changing their match timing to have the clock stopped in dead ball situations and enable commercial breaks after goals are kicked, the NRL talked about doing the same but backed away from that.

10 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

It's hard to credit, AFL is a really boring game... possibly the most boring game in the world. 

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yeah sure, just like when Brisbane bought London, rebranded them the Broncos and applied their Aussie wizardry in London.  We all know how well that worked.

The AFL has always been willing to tweak their rules and presentation to increase the value of their TV rights, the NRL less so.  For example they went ahead with changing their match timing to have the clock stopped in dead ball situations and enable commercial breaks after goals are kicked, the NRL talked about doing the same but backed away from that.

To be fair, the NRL have always accomodated TV. Every match in the NRL is in a seperate time slot so every game can be shown live on TV. Most weeks of the year there is only one game in the crowd popular Sunday afternoon slot. A Friday 6pm kick off was brought in at the insistance of Fox with little regard as to whether it's good for supporters. And then there's night time Grand Finals and 22 minute half time breaks during Origin games so more ads can be shown. And Channel 9 do show ads during normal matches. 

2 hours ago, thirteenthman said:

To be fair, the NRL have always accomodated TV. Every match in the NRL is in a seperate time slot so every game can be shown live on TV. Most weeks of the year there is only one game in the crowd popular Sunday afternoon slot. A Friday 6pm kick off was brought in at the insistance of Fox with little regard as to whether it's good for supporters. And then there's night time Grand Finals and 22 minute half time breaks during Origin games so more ads can be shown. And Channel 9 do show ads during normal matches. 

The AFL does that and more though.  I'm well aware that 9 does commercials during matches, however then the viewers miss some of the action which is very poor.  The AFL operates like North American leagues, they accommodate all the commercials the broadcaster needs to underwrite their high rights fees without the viewers missing any of the action which is as it should be.

15 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

" 800 fans of a small club " ? , So who are you talking about ?

You’ll have to do better than this 

“The inevitable consequence of small-minded, pathetic leadership over 10+ years, with a bizarre obsession about how 800 fans of a small village in the north feels about things”

There’s the quote. The actor I’m blaming in that sentence is the weak RFL/SL leadership who put too much emphasis on the feelings of small-mid size clubs’ fans, I was never blaming the fans themselves as you’ve deliberately tried to spin. Come on mate, argue the point if you can, don’t wilfully twist meaning in order to argue with a point I never made. You’re better than that, it’s depressing.

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Commercials during a game is an abomination. North America is different in that commercials draw in viewers; the NFL final the majority of viewers tune in solely for the commercials and half time show.

”This corner kick was brought to you by Barclays Bank”

In other markets the actual game takes precedence, and during half time fewer stay for commercials (surge in the power grid with kettles being turned on for example).

8 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You’ll have to do better than this 

“The inevitable consequence of small-minded, pathetic leadership over 10+ years, with a bizarre obsession about how 800 fans of a small village in the north feels about things”

There’s the quote. The actor I’m blaming in that sentence is the weak RFL/SL leadership who put too much emphasis on the feelings of small-mid size clubs’ fans, I was never blaming the fans themselves as you’ve deliberately tried to spin. Come on mate, argue the point if you can, don’t wilfully twist meaning in order to argue with a point I never made. You’re better than that, it’s depressing.

Fair enough , so , you are saying it's the RFL management that have put which clubs before RL growth ? , So which clubs ? , And which management , don't hide behind obscurity

13 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The AFL does that and more though.  I'm well aware that 9 does commercials during matches, however then the viewers miss some of the action which is very poor.  The AFL operates like North American leagues, they accommodate all the commercials the broadcaster needs to underwrite their high rights fees without the viewers missing any of the action which is as it should be.

I take your point on in game ads, but there's a lot more the AFL could do. Making room for ads in games is one of the few things the NRL could do. 

Of course Fox in Oz make a  big sell of showing NRL and AFL games with no ads - it's their point of difference from the free to air networks. And it's with Fox that the AFL have just announced an increased TV deal. And yet when the NRL signed a deal with Fox earlier in the year, no value was mentioned, with a possible reduction. And yet, NRL consistently outrates AFL on Fox most weeks of the year. Maybe the man at the top of the NRL isn't all many on here make him out to be. 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Fair enough , so , you are saying it's the RFL management that have put which clubs before RL growth ? , So which clubs ? , And which management , don't hide behind obscurity

Finally, we get there. 

I named at least two clubs earlier in this thread, I’m not here for some case-by-case unpicking nonsense, you know exactly what I meant and where my perspective comes from - but you’ve those two to chew on if you like.

But let’s be honest you really want to ignore my core point and get into those individual semantics, probably because you can’t argue against it: We are now a part-time, niche regional sport accepting its lot under this new broadcast agreement, because of a failure over the last 25 years to address the core weaknesses of our proposition to our main client - despite having had the time to do so.

Even in our death throes before we understood exactly how bad the next deal was, we chose a small town on the edge of Wigan in a market we’ve saturated, over an alternative club which had ‘heartland’ heritage, huge commercial potential and based the 4th biggest city in France. That said it all. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Of course you couls argue that the RFL/SL were only respoding to their core support which a bit like Labour they seemed intent and in danger of losing by their indifference.

I think Leigh were the candidates most likely to make a fist of being in SL and it has to be said the least likely to go under if relegated.

But if we're talking about saturation of the market, which city has two clubs and so falls into this category very neatly if not comfortably?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

12 hours ago, DC77 said:

Commercials during a game is an abomination. North America is different in that commercials draw in viewers; the NFL final the majority of viewers tune in solely for the commercials and half time show.

”This corner kick was brought to you by Barclays Bank”

In other markets the actual game takes precedence, and during half time fewer stay for commercials (surge in the power grid with kettles being turned on for example).

That "abomination" as you call it is standard for sports in North America and in the AFL too nowadays, and it's what underwrites the TV rights money which has made our major league franchises profitable for their owners and fueled the steady rise in the value of those franchises.  Those leagues would all be poorer without it, a lot poorer.  And they don't have to plaster their uniforms with tacky sponsors' ads like over there in Europe.

Saying something like ”This corner kick was brought to you by Barclays Bank” as you did shows that you don't understand it.  I've never seen anyone directly sponsor a particular part of a match, they simply buy time for their ads during it.  The ads are all placed during natural breaks in play, and that's how the AFL does it too.

In any case RL can either adopt that and get higher rights fees underwritten by those commercials, or stay as it's always been and miss out, simple as that.

That "abomination" as you call it is standard for sports in North America and in the AFL too nowadays, and it's what underwrites the TV rights money which has made our major league franchises profitable for their owners and fueled the steady rise in the value of those franchises.  Those leagues would all be poorer without it, a lot poorer.  And they don't have to plaster their uniforms with tacky sponsors' ads like over there in Europe.

Saying something like ”This corner kick was brought to you by Barclays Bank” as you did shows that you don't understand it.  I've never seen anyone directly sponsor a particular part of a match, they simply buy time for their ads during it.  The ads are all placed during natural breaks in play, and that's how the AFL does it too.

In any case RL can either adopt that and get higher rights fees underwritten by those commercials, or stay as it's always been and miss out, simple as that.

Can RL in the UK embrace that? What are the UK regulations around this stuff? How many more ads do Sky want in their 2hr shows? 

Saying something like ”This corner kick was brought to you by Barclays Bank” as you did shows that you don't understand it.  I've never seen anyone directly sponsor a particular part of a match, they simply buy time for their ads during it. 

Pitching changes on Chicago Cubs radio are sponsored by Sloan.

If the hitter up first gets on base then that's sponsored by Vinny's Beverage Depot. If the hitter up first doesn't get on base then they'll tell you that if he had then that would have been sponsored by Vinny's Beverage Depot.

Most networks have their car-sponsored 'keys to the game' just before first pitch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, DC77 said:

Commercials during a game is an abomination. North America is different in that commercials draw in viewers;

That's only true for the Super Bowl, not for any other game in any other league. And they're specially made commercials, not your typical ones. 

4 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Finally, we get there. 

I named at least two clubs earlier in this thread, I’m not here for some case-by-case unpicking nonsense, you know exactly what I meant and where my perspective comes from - but you’ve those two to chew on if you like.

But let’s be honest you really want to ignore my core point and get into those individual semantics, probably because you can’t argue against it: We are now a part-time, niche regional sport accepting its lot under this new broadcast agreement, because of a failure over the last 25 years to address the core weaknesses of our proposition to our main client - despite having had the time to do so.

Even in our death throes before we understood exactly how bad the next deal was, we chose a small town on the edge of Wigan in a market we’ve saturated, over an alternative club which had ‘heartland’ heritage, huge commercial potential and based the 4th biggest city in France. That said it all. 

About half the tv money went to the RLF.  What did they do with it?  They get BBC money from the Cup.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Can RL in the UK embrace that? What are the UK regulations around this stuff? How many more ads do Sky want in their 2hr shows? 

I'm sure they could embrace it, UK broadcasts of the NFL have commercials during the match don't they?  Fitting them in would almost certainly make a match telecast exceed 2 hours though.

56 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I'm sure they could embrace it, UK broadcasts of the NFL have commercials during the match don't they?  Fitting them in would almost certainly make a match telecast exceed 2 hours though.

Sky ratings for the super bowl are far less than RL Championship play offs

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

No surprise there.  The Super Bowl kicks off at about 6:30 PM EST which is 11:30 PM GMT and it's on a Sunday night.  The late kickoff time will certainly reduce the TV audience for it in the UK.

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

It’s also broadcast live on the BBC

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived