Andy Last...

New assistant  coach at Wakey.

Good luck to the lad.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

49 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Good move for him, will experience a different environment/culture and also puts himself in prime position to take on the Head Coach role, should Chester not work out long term

That was my first thought when I saw it. They might be calling this the Wakefield assistant job, but actually you can probably just call it Wakefield head coach starting in July. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Read yesterday that Lee Gilmour was due to join Leeds on their coaching staff, Covid hit, they pulled the deal, moved for Sean Long and Gilly is out of a job. 

Almost but didn’t quite happen that way.

He applied for the Leeds Assistant job and was declined by Agar, Wakefield found out he’d applied for a job at a rival club and told him if he didn’t see his future at Wakefield his services were no longer required and sacked him/let him go.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

That was my first thought when I saw it. They might be calling this the Wakefield assistant job, but actually you can probably just call it Wakefield head coach starting in July. 

What about Willie Poching who is also at the club as an assistant coach?

4 hours ago, MZH said:

Well it's dim witted one. Hats off to Chester, he's signed up two coaches and they are definitely his choices,  who are a potential threat to him but he has done so because he wants the backroom to improve drastically. Not many coaches would risk that but if it pays off Chester is made for life, if not he's out but that would be the case regardless if he fails this season.

2 hours ago, Rioman said:

What about Willie Poching who is also at the club as an assistant coach?

I think you can have more than one assistant, either that or Poching hasn't worked out. I suspect though it's the former and the two will have slightly different roles. Poching will possibly be more player performance orientated across all the teams reporting to both Chester and the BOD, whilst Last will probably be more Chesters right hand man. I'm only speculating based on what I know of the two. Bit like Kear and Gilmore used to be.

21 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I think you can have more than one assistant, either that or Poching hasn't worked out. I suspect though it's the former and the two will have slightly different roles. Poching will possibly be more player performance orientated across all the teams reporting to both Chester and the BOD, whilst Last will probably be more Chesters right hand man. I'm only speculating based on what I know of the two. Bit like Kear and Gilmore used to be.

What I was trying to say to the poster  was, don't assume Last would walk into the coach's job if Chester left, as we also have another decent assistant in Willie Poaching. 👍

25 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Is Stuart Dickens still at Wakefield?

not sure but charles dickens seems to be- every season starts with "great expectations" and ends with "hard times"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Well it's dim witted one. Hats off to Chester, he's signed up two coaches and they are definitely his choices,  who are a potential threat to him but he has done so because he wants the backroom to improve drastically. Not many coaches would risk that but if it pays off Chester is made for life, if not he's out but that would be the case regardless if he fails this season.

Just to clarify I don't think it's a bad move from Chester's pov, and I don't think Last coming in puts Chester under any more pressure than he's already under. What I mean is that I expect Chester to get sacked this season, and when he does I expect Andy Last will be the guy that replaces him. Hence its a good move for Last. Chester is under pressure already. A lot of Wakefield fans have been calling for his head for some time. If you start poorly and look to be heading for a relegation battle he won't last long. 

I'm sure that's not how Last is thinking BTW. He will want to do his best in the assistant job. 

4 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I think both Chester and Carter have been chastened by the 5 wins in 36 games record that Chester had until the 3 wins on the bump papered over the cracks. Chester will not be sacked but there will be a managed promotion to Football Manager/Director and Andy Last will probably step up to Head Coach. While this will no doubt happen to Chester’s timeline I’m sure that Last has been promised the top job within a fairly short timescale maybe 1 season possibly 2. Why else would Andy Last leave a guaranteed assistants job with a bigger club like Hull also his hometown club to join Wakefield

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

I think both Chester and Carter have been chastened by the 5 wins in 36 games record that Chester had until the 3 wins on the bump papered over the cracks. Chester will not be sacked but there will be a managed promotion to Football Manager/Director and Andy Last will probably step up to Head Coach. While this will no doubt happen to Chester’s timeline I’m sure that Last has been promised the top job within a fairly short timescale maybe 1 season possibly 2. Why else would Andy Last leave a guaranteed assistants job with a bigger club like Hull also his hometown club to join Wakefield

Because if Last knew he wouldn’t get the top job at Hull FC then there’s no future for him (given he wants to be a head coach). Therefore a sideways move is in his interest and it’s funny how your stock often rises when you move on from an employer - they often don’t realise what they’re missing 

11 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Best of luck to him. Thought he was unlucky not to get a shot at the Hull FC job. I don't see what credentials Hodgson possesses that Last did not, apart from an Aussie accent.

Totally agree. It was an extremely harsh, dare I say desperate, decision to ditch Mr Last from the Hull job, he safely saved a sinking ship and guided it back to port for close season repairs. Why get rid of such a loyal Hull FC guy on the back of 1 under par performance in the playoffs, especially as it was individual player performances that let Andy down, not his tactics.

I sincerely wish Andy Last all the very best at Wakefield, it's a great addition for them. It may not necessarily be at Wakey but I've every confidence Andy will be a successful head coach in our game, it could be sooner than you think 🙂

17 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Not sure I would agree with this. I think most (if not all) coaches would want their assistants to be people they thought capable of being head coaches. Developing junior coaches is a big part of being a (decent) coach. 

True but not quite that capable, I think you have to be a touch realistic, as has been pointed out both these guys are potential straight in replacements, especially Last.

With all due respect I know my club better than you, I'm hardly on the BOD but all the same. Trinity have fundamentally had the same coaching set up since Harbin and then McNally implemented the changes in 2002/2004. One all powerful Coach and a local lad and number of ex players helping out. This was of course mainly down to money, the lack of. The only time t wasn't the case was when Kear joined Trinity to help Chester in 2017 and 2018, arguably our best SL seasons.

Now injuries permitting we have strong squad and some really promising youngsters, this despite the poor results over the last 18 month, we all know the main reasons why. As a club though we don't have the resources to buy the players to move us up the next stage, even if we do have an injury free season we will only be top 6 at best, so the only thing we can do is improve the structures. Truth is both Poching and Last will cost less than one good NRL player and probably be far more effective.

Trinity have needed a root and branch re-build for years, this I believe is it, if it goes right it along with the stadium re-build will be the making of the club. Not predicting titles or cups any time soon, but tangible improvements all the same, we will be competitive on a far more regular basis.

Archived