Sky Sports halving offer-What are the ramifications for Championship and Championship 1 clubs?

1 minute ago, Cardypaul said:

I agree I know there has been talk along these lines for a while, what supporters of SL clubs don’t realise is most championship clubs are better run because they don’t have the sugar daddies SL clubs have.

Lets just get on with it and continue no dr if SL want to develop their young players they can set up a proper reserve league 

Its a way that the champ teams could force SL hands. One of the first things to go will be excess numbers of players in development programs so as long as championship teams stick together those players should filter down in to the chmpionship which should again raise the bar.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its a way that the champ teams could force SL hands. One of the first things to go will be excess numbers of players in development programs so as long as championship teams stick together those players should filter down in to the chmpionship which should again raise the bar.

Exactly it’s just as much of an opportunity as it is an end, main thing is to stick together 

10 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Exactly it’s just as much of an opportunity as it is an end, main thing is to stick together 

Which is the fundamental flaw in your ' cunning plan ' Baldrick 

I tried to get the lower tier clubs to consider working together at the outset of licencing , 😂 , not happen , too suspicious of each other 

I would not be surprised if we see a new look Championship come 2022 where it is a licenced system with a strict criteria and strict minimum standards.Good financial order will be one of them.

Many clubs will probably not meet the criteria and will either become the equivalent of Non league football clubs,amateur community clubs or will sadly fold.

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Which is the fundamental flaw in your ' cunning plan ' Baldrick 

I tried to get the lower tier clubs to consider working together at the outset of licencing , 😂 , not happen , too suspicious of each other 

Your right the hard part will be getting them to work together but if they don’t some may well go to the wall.

11 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im not going to lie but I think it might be a good thing and a wake up call to the SL clubs that they need to do what is best for the longterm future of the game rather than for selfish reasons. If it means a couple of them go to the wall or have to drop out of the top flight then so be it.

Most championship clubs have been preparing for this for the last couple of seasons and most have been reducing their wage bills to cover the eventuality that they may not get any money at all. The championship is a thriving league that is getting more competitive by the year compared to a dull and boring SL where the same teams win everything and finish in the tops spots over and over again.

Explain the logic of  this to me.

Why is SL getting less money going to force SL to do even more for the lower leagues? and why would they do it to their detriment? Even to the point of their own death?

10 hours ago, Scotchy1 said:

Why is SL getting less money going to force SL to do even more for the lower leagues? and why would they do it to their detriment? Even to the point of their own death?

Another sport,with a bit more  money floating about in it,seem to have persuaded the top tier to assist the lower leagues.Perhaps with even government hints,

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-premier-league-and-efl-agree-deal-over-250m-bailout-for-lower-league-clubs-12150133

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

12 hours ago, Scotchy1 said:

It won't force SL to do even more, theres a number of teams in SL hanging on by a thread whilst doing everything they can to stop Championship hopefuls having a fair crack at the whip. Those teams are about to get found out and when they do there is a number of clubs ready to take their place. The salary cap will likely be lowered as most teams wont be able to afford it without living even more beyond their means and we may get a closer competition overall. Hopefully its a case of one step back to get 2 steps forward. A better competition should lead to more demand because what SL offers at the moment is stale and boring.

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Another sport,with a bit more  money floating about in it,seem to have persuaded the top tier to assist the lower leagues.Perhaps with even government hints,

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-premier-league-and-efl-agree-deal-over-250m-bailout-for-lower-league-clubs-12150133

Not surprising given they make hundreds of million pounds of profit each year between them. It still irks that they haven't covered support for non-league football as well when they could easily afford to - tax payers footing that bill instead. On a different planet to RL sadly

On 22/12/2020 at 00:03, Tommygilf said:

I absolutely know why the championship didn't restart and completely agree with the logic too don't worry. I just also know the money it gets from the Super League deal is in virtually no meaningful way connected to its value for TV either, otherwise, like the football championship, it would have had to restart.

Super League restarting was touted rightly as important for the whole game, because they were keeping the money flowing into not only their 11 coffers, but Super League's, the RFL's, and the 25 other clubs' coffers too.

It didnt restart as SL binned the super 8s.

If this was still in play then they would have restarted 

On 22/12/2020 at 10:03, Scotchy1 said:

No, SLs business model doesn't involve being funded by the lower leagues 

I think you are missing the point.

The tv deal was struck with the middle 8s and million pound game in mind

This included the championship and extra games to televise.

As the championship clubs were involved they rightly got tv money.

As the champipnship clubs are no longer involved they cut the deal. 

As the championship clubs are not involved they cut them out.

I think they should still pass some money down the food chain though just as the premiership did in football

5 hours ago, Moove said:

Not surprising given they make hundreds of million pounds of profit each year between them. It still irks that they haven't covered support for non-league football as well when they could easily afford to - tax payers footing that bill instead. On a different planet to RL sadly

One of the differences is I dont see football clubs complaining about the number of away supporters.

If anything they try to keep them to a minimum

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Are they?

Anyways the point is they are looking to reduce away fans to the minimum

Yes , and there are other reasons for them looking to reduce away fans , like policing costs , it is on a different scale to RL , it has little relevance 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes , and there are other reasons for them looking to reduce away fans , like policing costs , it is on a different scale to RL , it has little relevance 

And the point you are missing is that they manage to market and attract thrir own supporters and therefore do not need to rely on others

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

And the point you are missing is that they manage to market and attract thrir own supporters and therefore do not need to rely on others

In Football as in Rugby Leage there are loads of fans who prefer to sit at home and watch the game on TV, BUT there are also enough Football fans who get along to watch the game live that makes the 'staw aways' of no concern, In Rugby League we do not have that luxury, if all those who claim to love the sport went along we would be in a very much healthier state than we are now.

13 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

A bit more money?   Premier League income was about 5 billion pounds.  BILLION!!

So they are giving a one off 20th of a years income!

SL has been the driver of income for the entire game.... and it has been giving away EVERY YEAR nearly half, HALF, its income, not a paltry 20th as one off sop like the football giants.

Championship clubs need to wake up and realise what a fool's paradise they have been living in.      And SL clubs and their fans might wonder what they might have done with the some £75 million they could have kept had they not given it away to this ungrateful group of Championship clubs.

38 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

And SL clubs and their fans might wonder what they might have done with the some £75 million they could have kept had they not given it away to this ungrateful group of Championship clubs.

Given that the distance in quality between the Championship and lower SL clubs seems to get smaller every year, I would imagine the Championship teams with a huge difference in funding will be wondering what exactly have those SL clubs been spending their money on. So to answer the question about what those clubs would have done with an extra 75m, I would imagine the answer would be Jack all.

14 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

SL gives a higher percentage of money to the lower leagues than the PL 

The Premier league gets about £3b a year and pays out about £100m per year to the lower leagues. 

SL gets about £30m with about £10m going to the RFL and lower leagues. 

13 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

It won't force SL to do even more, theres a number of teams in SL hanging on by a thread whilst doing everything they can to stop Championship hopefuls having a fair crack at the whip. Those teams are about to get found out and when they do there is a number of clubs ready to take their place. The salary cap will likely be lowered as most teams wont be able to afford it without living even more beyond their means and we may get a closer competition overall. Hopefully its a case of one step back to get 2 steps forward. A better competition should lead to more demand because what SL offers at the moment is stale and boring.

How do they stop the lower league clubs having a fair crack of the whip?

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

I think you are missing the point.

The tv deal was struck with the middle 8s and million pound game in mind

This included the championship and extra games to televise.

As the championship clubs were involved they rightly got tv money.

As the champipnship clubs are no longer involved they cut the deal. 

As the championship clubs are not involved they cut them out.

I think they should still pass some money down the food chain though just as the premiership did in football

This isn't what happened. 

The TV value is Super Leagues, that's why sky pay it to super league and not the RFL

46 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Given that the distance in quality between the Championship and lower SL clubs seems to get smaller every year, I would imagine the Championship teams with a huge difference in funding will be wondering what exactly have those SL clubs been spending their money on. So to answer the question about what those clubs would have done with an extra 75m, I would imagine the answer would be Jack all.

Its their money. 

Archived