1 idea is holding the 2025 WC in various cities like the euro champs in football.

Personally potentially a winning idea in spreading the word of RL. Only if the money and advertising is done correctly.

For me France Serbia Russia Canada/USA all great destinations to hold games in 2025

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/2019/10/22/rlwc2025-to-go-back-to-tender-report/

33 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

1 idea is holding the 2025 WC in various cities like the euro champs in football.

Personally potentially a winning idea in spreading the word of RL. Only if the money and advertising is done correctly.

For me France Serbia Russia Canada/USA all great destinations to hold games in 2025

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/2019/10/22/rlwc2025-to-go-back-to-tender-report/

Pity about the North American thing , the idea of filling a gap in their contact -sport calendar sounded good in theory. Certainly something worth keeping in mind for the future though.

The thing I don`t get about all of this is where are the Australian RL. Are they worried that they are going to be shown up by the union if they hold their 2027 WC here, you wouldn`t think that was a certainty. Are they worried it would flop ? International League is going through something of a boom down here. We`ve  got international class stadiums all over the country and State Governments that would be dying to fill them at that time of the year, I`m sure they would be only to keen to help promote a WC if they got hosting rights. I just don`t get why there is absolutely no talk at all of us holding it. I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in the Oz League authorities.

Having said all that if you could work out some sort of pan-Europe tournament, the bigger dollars may be in your part of the world and it`s not as if the game doesn`t need a boost over there as well.

There was some talk of Australia biding for the WC but that all went quiet, which is a shame.

I think we need to bring back the old 4 nations matches or even increase it to 6 so to keep the top level games in the public eye, 

Meanwhile improve the tier 2 teams with a regular international scene.

England RL last played in 2018 England RU have played 20 or so international matches (excluding WC) since 2019!

For the WC to grow we need the top international countries to show some interest and provide a strong international scene at the top level

On 23/12/2020 at 05:30, langpark said:

I am pretty sure Australia is on 'standby' to host this, so to speak.  If not other decent bids come in, it will surely be in Australia.  Only they or England are capable of hosting it at a moment's notice.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the NSW Gov’t were considering a bid to host the entire tournament.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the NSW Gov’t were considering a bid to host the entire tournament.

Interesting.  It would be great if we could get the State govt's competing against each other for it, I know they have a bit of rivalry between them.  But I don't think it would be right to hold all 31 games in NSW, they will not get good enough crowds and I can see them resorting to double-headers, and/or taking certain matches to tiny 5000-capacity bush venues.

Then again, if the state govt. can offset the losses from smaller crowds, then who knows, perhaps it should be considered.

12 minutes ago, langpark said:

Interesting.  It would be great if we could get the State govt's competing against each other for it, I know they have a bit of rivalry between them.  But I don't think it would be right to hold all 31 games in NSW, they will not get good enough crowds and I can see them resorting to double-headers, and/or taking certain matches to tiny 5000-capacity bush venues.

Then again, if the state govt. can offset the losses from smaller crowds, then who knows, perhaps it should be considered.

Yeah exactly, if they pay for it, then I would anticipate NSW Tourism would probably take more ownership of marketing and selling the event than if they simply hosted England v Lebanon and Australia v Lebanon group games.

Bush grounds may or may not be a good thing. They would want to be stacked venues if they do go down the bush route. But the stadiums of choice could be ANZ, SFS, Parramatta, Newcastle, Illawarra, Canberra (I know, it’s ACT), Central Coast. That’s seven venues right there. More than enough. No other state could boast that many densely located stadiums suitable for the WC.

Australia has funding lined up for 2029, with the NSW Government one of the first to commit (https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/10-world-cups-10-years).

Other states, including Queensland and Victoria have also committed to 2029, however haven't publicly published this commitment.

Whilst arguably those deals could be brought forward, the NRL would prefer someone else to host in 2025 for a number of reasons, including 2017 didn't sell as well as hoped and they'd rather some more water pass under the bridge before attempting to secure millions again.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

• 4 weeks later...

The 2013 RLWC (England, Ireland, Wales and France) and 2017 RLWC (Australia, NZ, PNG) were held in multiple countries, so it’s not likely to be much different, if we’re honest. I can’t envisage a Euro 2020 football style competition with as many hosts as that, it’d be more like the tournaments we’ve had in the past. 

23 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The 2013 RLWC (England, Ireland, Wales and France) and 2017 RLWC (Australia, NZ, PNG) were held in multiple countries, so it’s not likely to be much different, if we’re honest. I can’t envisage a Euro 2020 football style competition with as many hosts as that, it’d be more like the tournaments we’ve had in the past. 

Since the World Cup is in England in 2021 should be in Oceania in 2025. 
Wouldn’t work in USA & Canada as there is no fanbase. 
The best option would probably be New Zealand as the main host with some games in PNG and maybe even Fiji 

14 minutes ago, RoostersFan20 said:

Since the World Cup is in England in 2021 should be in Oceania in 2025. 
Wouldn’t work in USA & Canada as there is no fanbase. 
The best option would probably be New Zealand as the main host with some games in PNG and maybe even Fiji 

Right. That doesn’t mean that it can’t be held across multiple countries, with games in Australia, New Zealand and PNG. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Right. That doesn’t mean that it can’t be held across multiple countries, with games in Australia, New Zealand and PNG. 

Yeah, could be sort of like the 2017 World Cup. The problem with 2017 was too many one sided games. 

will be the same in 2021. We don’t need teams like USA, Jamaica, Greece etc

6 minutes ago, RoostersFan20 said:

Yeah, could be sort of like the 2017 World Cup. The problem with 2017 was too many one sided games. 

You get that in the football World Cup too. Having smaller nations won’t dramatically change the tournament or its standing.

8 minutes ago, RoostersFan20 said:

Yet you say you want the game to grow.

Average NRL fan: wants every match to be a golden-point thriller, so he can spend the entire following week calling for the ref's head because "one decision cost one team the game". 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You get that in the football World Cup too. Having smaller nations won’t dramatically change the tournament or its standing.

Well they're about to expand the FIFA World Cup even more to about 40 or 48 teams. Will ruin the standard of play and add nothing. Quality over quantity. Right now the FIFA World Cup has 32 great teams and is an awesome tournament. And teams like the USA are just a bunch of aussies and poms with american grandparents. 

1 minute ago, RoostersFan20 said:

Well they're about to expand the FIFA World Cup even more to about 40 or 48 teams. Will ruin the standard of play and add nothing. Quality over quantity. Right now the FIFA World Cup has 32 great teams and is an awesome tournament. And teams like the USA are just a bunch of aussies and poms with american grandparents. 

Right, that doesn’t support your argument yet though. It may make it poorer, it may not. 

So, just like the Irish or Welsh football teams then? 

I'm making an argument for quality over quantity. 

The best world cup of the last 20 years was easily 2008. 

League isn't where union is yet. It's not a global sport yet. So we should have a strong, highly competitive tournament. Maybe 12 teams. 

The World Cup this year will have at least 4 teams that don't add anything. 

2 hours ago, RoostersFan20 said:

Right now the FIFA World Cup has 32 great teams and is an awesome tournament. 

2018: Germany 7-1 Brazil

2010: Portugal 7-0 Korea

2002: Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia 

These results, no doubt did irreparable damage to the sport as fans turned away in droves. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

2018: Germany 7-1 Brazil

2010: Portugal 7-0 Korea

2002: Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia 

These results, no doubt did irreparable damage to the sport as fans turned away in droves. 

Cool, then let's just have all 45 teams in the rankings play at the league world cup. Australia could be in a group with Denmark, Morocco and Turkey. 

New Zealand vs Latvia would really bring the fans. 

34 minutes ago, RoostersFan20 said:

Cool, then let's just have all 45 teams in the rankings play at the league world cup. Australia could be in a group with Denmark, Morocco and Turkey. 

New Zealand vs Latvia would really bring the fans. 

Giving a bizarre, extreme "example" like that is usually a sign of desperation.  Let's look at England's group matches for a minute:

England vs Samoa - should be a close match
England vs France - should be a comfortable win for England (maybe 30-40pts?)
England vs Greece - yes, will likely be a blowout

This is roughly going to be case in each group, though to be fair, I think beyond Greece and Jamaica, there are no other real "whipping boys".

So, the trade off is this, you have to sit through the "horrific experience" of watching Greece vs England for 80 minutes.  The flip side is that this WC appearance could spark interest in the game in Greece and lead to another nation taking up the sport in greater numbers.  So, ok, I respect your point of view, but you cannot really say that you want the game to expand at the same time, when you hold that view.

17 hours ago, RoostersFan20 said:

I'm making an argument for quality over quantity. 

The best world cup of the last 20 years was easily 2008. 

League isn't where union is yet. It's not a global sport yet. So we should have a strong, highly competitive tournament. Maybe 12 teams. 

The World Cup this year will have at least 4 teams that don't add anything. 

There will be loads of quality at the 2021 World Cup, probably more than we’ve ever had. Australia are Australia and could name two or three seventeen man squads that would probably beat most nations, New Zealand will be pretty strong, England should name a decent squad on paper, Tonga are strong and then you have the likes of Fiji, Samoa and PNG who have improved from the last World Cup. 

On 26/01/2021 at 14:54, RoostersFan20 said:

32 teams is too many imho, 24 was right. Same with the Euros, 16 was fine, no need for 24. 

Regarding your point that we don’t need Jamaica, Greece etc, do you propose a tournament with just teams who have a chance of winning? Not sure how good a three team (Aus, NZ and Tonya) tournament would be. 

22 hours ago, langpark said:

Giving a bizarre, extreme "example" like that is usually a sign of desperation.  Let's look at England's group matches for a minute:

England vs Samoa - should be a close match
England vs France - should be a comfortable win for England (maybe 30-40pts?)
England vs Greece - yes, will likely be a blowout

This is roughly going to be case in each group, though to be fair, I think beyond Greece and Jamaica, there are no other real "whipping boys".

So, the trade off is this, you have to sit through the "horrific experience" of watching Greece vs England for 80 minutes.  The flip side is that this WC appearance could spark interest in the game in Greece and lead to another nation taking up the sport in greater numbers.  So, ok, I respect your point of view, but you cannot really say that you want the game to expand at the same time, when you hold that view.

Indeed, and the Union WC is exactly the same. The difference between rugby (both codes) and football is that in football anyone can win (within reason), but in rugby it’s far more often the better team who win. 

Archived