Musical Local Heroes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Tube" was alluded to earlier. The mid 80s was the time when major labels started spending gazillions on videos. Some of the videos The Tube showed, along their own promo films, demonstrated that far more beguiling visuals could be made for peanuts. Off the top of my head some of the better ones were -

We`ve got a fuzzbox and we`re gonna use it - Rules and regulations

The Brilliant Corners - Brian Rix

The Very Things - The Bushes scream while my daddy prunes

Stump - Buffalo

To align this with the thread topic, Fuzzbox were from Birmingham. The Brilliant corners were from Bristol. The Very Things were from Redditch. 

Never knew where the members of Stump were from more precisely than England and Ireland. Sadly, when trying to find out, I learned that Mick Lynch, their vocalist, died in 2015. Which got me thinking that there could be a number of people I was a fan of back then who are no longer with us. Artists who were never famous enough for their death to merit a mention in the mainstream media.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the North we`re apt to overlook that people in small towns in the South can feel as marginalised by the London media in areas like sport and music.

One of the better Goth (like most recipients of the label they spurned it) groups was Play Dead, who were from Banbury in Oxfordshire. Despite their obscurity, they made an appearance on The Tube. Someone must have recorded the event for posterity because there`s a clip of it on YouTube.

In the days before Wiki I bought a huge doorstop reference book "The Great Indie Discography" which is similarly not short on factual errors and defective judgements. It gives 4 out of 10 to the Play Dead album "Company of Justice". Complete travesty, 8 at least.

On 23/12/2020 at 07:03, Northern Eel said:

Black Lace were from Batley/Dewsbury area, I think. Not much of a claim to fame! 

I knew there was someone famous listed as being born in Batley, and finally it`s come to me - Robert Palmer. He was in Vinegar Joe with Elkie Brooks before his sharp-dressed MOR solo career.

Wonder if he ever played Batley Variety Club. According to the Bee Gees and Neil Sedaka, the clientele were largely indifferent to whomever was on the stage. Might have all been happier with Fred Trueman on Indoor League.

On 30/01/2021 at 19:44, Bleep1673 said:

Salford Sunday suggests trains go from Salford to London.

They don't. They go via Manchester & always have done.

I think that was just  his route & poetic license Bleep

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Mike Oldfield is from Reading, his dad was a local GP

Also although not from Reading (they are from Oxford) Radiohead played lots of their early gigs here, for a while every lampost on the canal tow path had a 2" round flourescent green sticker with an r made of smalled dots on it from their ###### mates walking down there after a gig with a bunch of the stickers from the merchandise table - timing wise i know that was around the time the pentium floating point error was announced as i have meories of stopping a discussion on that when i saw all the stickers

Hawkwind also live somewhere local (think a memeber has a farm that they stored gear and rehearsed on) I know this as they did the pre tour rehersal for the Electric teepee tour at Reading Uni when i was working stage crew - wqe had to literally clear straw and muck off some of the gear - their lighting company were anarclighting and when i went to buy my current house in 2000 on the 2nd viewing the owner of anarcligthing was there as it was his sisters house - we both had a "what are you doing here" moment as i had worked with him a few times

Archived