2021 season details announced

Blind side johnny

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

ICU wards are currently filling with people in their 30's and 40's Nick: I think that "miniscule" is incorrect.

Frankly none of us knows. We all hope for things to return to some sort of normal but what that might be, and when, is simply guesswork.

It’s minuscule BSJ.
Yes, admissions  in younger people are on the increase but if we take Liam and Sykes out of the equation the vast majority of the players are proper young.   On top of that they are fit and far from obese.  Footballers are testing positive all the time and almost without exception they don’t know they have it until the test results come back.  Time for some positivity on this forum if you ask me. 😉

39 minutes ago, NickD said:

It’s minuscule BSJ.
Yes, admissions  in younger people are on the increase but if we take Liam and Sykes out of the equation the vast majority of the players are proper young.   On top of that they are fit and far from obese.  Footballers are testing positive all the time and almost without exception they don’t know they have it until the test results come back.  Time for some positivity on this forum if you ask me. 😉

Players also have families Nick.

I have had enough false positivity from people who should be acting responsibly, thanks all the same (although they don't post on this forum, unless we have a cabinet minister posting under a pseudonym, that is).

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I'm in my 50s so probably first vaccination in April sometime. 3 weeks after to get level of immunity from serious illness/death. So that takes us into May. Add in better weather which should reduce infections and need to allow some pre-season, then my bet is June. But hope it's sooner. 

23 hours ago, NickD said:

Time for some positivity on this forum if you ask me. 😉

Positivity 

Here goes

I'm positive we won't start the new season anytime soon or when they say we will. 

Now doesn't that make us all feel a whole lot better 🤔🤔🤔😉😉

Well I have just got my new ST as a sign of faith but no idea how my trim bit of plastic will work? Now having reached the grand young age of 60 can some tech savvy Ram tell me why and how it will work - presumably a card reader on the ST turnstile? Not the same as ripping out a ticket stub! And for some reason (age no doubt) I posted this previously on a thread about Salford....

Betfred Championship and League 1 confirm staged return in 2021 – Dewsbury Rams

Mid-March on TV, anyone's guess when we will be allowed back in although I suspect that it will be sometime in May.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 22/01/2021 at 16:10, creditwhereitsdews said:

You would think they would want to play a friendly or two before then too. The players won't have played a match for a full year.

In some ways the CC games might be treated like friendlies. Randomly arranging games with the current Covid regulations is very difficult, I understand.

Getting any sort of a season played will be a Herculean achievement I believe.

On 23/01/2021 at 16:37, Blind side johnny said:

In some ways the CC games might be treated like friendlies. Randomly arranging games with the current Covid regulations is very difficult, I understand.

Getting any sort of a season played will be a Herculean achievement I believe.

Can't see nothing but a disaster

Games cancelled thru covid

These lads have jobs and families, asking them to self isolate for 14 days because of a player testing positive... This will happen

Yes we're all stir crazy and wanting rugby back, realistically it's going to be very very difficult to play out any kind of meaningful season. 

League positions based on percentages I'm not in favour of by a long way and the structure for this season been play 9 teams home and away, and one team once is ridiculous.. So you telling me a team who only plays featherstone, London, toulouse, York once as no more advantage that only plays Whitehaven, Newcastle, Swinton, Batley once. 

Clubs are desperate to get going I understand that, fans are desperate for things to get going.. But what will be the overall and long term cost to the game.. The peoples game, our game. 

1 hour ago, coolie said:

These lads have jobs and families, asking them to self isolate for 14 days because of a player testing positive... This will happen

Yes we're all stir crazy and wanting rugby back, realistically it's going to be very very difficult to play out any kind of meaningful season. 

League positions based on percentages I'm not in favour of by a long way and the structure for this season been play 9 teams home and away, and one team once is ridiculous.. So you telling me a team who only plays featherstone, London, toulouse, York once as no more advantage that only plays Whitehaven, Newcastle, Swinton, Batley once. 

Clubs are desperate to get going I understand that, fans are desperate for things to get going.. But what will be the overall and long term cost to the game.. The peoples game, our game. 

Agree, think it's likely to be a very curtailed season. The % idea is fine if majority of fixtures fulfilled, it's okay, if not it's clearly unequal. Hard to see how the players can avoid Covid with work commitments as well as family and no vaccination until August /September for their age group.

1 hour ago, coolie said:

This will not happen, something like the following will happen:

The teams will be ranked based on league positions in 2019 (last meaningful season), something like this

1              London Broncos

2              Toulouse Olympique XIII

3              York City Knights

4              Featherstone Rovers

5              Bradford Bulls

6              Sheffield Eagles

7              Halifax RLFC

8              Swinton Lions

9              Batley Bulldogs

10           Widnes Vikings

11           Dewsbury Rams

12           Whitehaven

13           Oldham

14           Newcastle Thunder

These will be split into 4 groups say

Placings 1-4 group 1

Placings 5-8 group 2

Placings 9-11 group 3

Placings 12-14 group 4

Each team will play 2 teams from their own group only the once with 2 games from the other 3 groups, so as to even up the numbers or something similar.

So one team may play London, Toulouse, Dewsbury and Whitehaven only once and another York, Sheffield, Bradford and Newcastle, etc.

As for league positions based on percentages, I agree it is not ideal, as is not playing every other team home and away. However it is the way that the league was decided 60ish years ago. And given as you say the fact that there will be postponed games etc. this seems to me the most equitable approach, though I'd have preferred every team to play each other home and away and not extra (summer bash game). Also to be fair to the RFL they are mitigating this by having a top 6 playoff rather than top 5. More interesting will be to see what they do with the relegation situation where the team finishing 13th (maybe on points difference only) could have had a harder set of fixtures that the team finish 12th (noting that having harder fixtures could be playing an other team in the "relegation" group 4 only at home where as the other team has to play another in the same group away only). Therefore for me it would make sense for there to be a 12th v 13th playoff game at the end of the season for the 2nd relegation sport.

None of this is ideal, in the same way that playing games behind closed doors will not be ideal. However we managed during WW2 with extenuating circumstances as well (though obviously different ones).

However whether this league campaign can be achieved will be totally dependent on how we as a country can manage Covid-19, which is out of the control of the RFL.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

4 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Coolie,

PS Are we going to meet up for a beer, Covid-19 and fixtures permitting?

Just don't expect him to pay.

6 hours ago, coolie said:

A couple of things:

You seem to have your sums wrong. There are 14 teams in the league - each will play every team at least once and nine teams twice. Which teams these are will be determined by some classic RL formula later. If I understand you then you believe this to be fundamentally unfair - on this basis then we should hand back the 1973 Championship; is that what you would prefer?

Secondly, do you think that whatever "overall and long-term cost to the game" will be would be worse than not playing at all until 2022? In my opinion this latter course could condemn some clubs to terminal closure; a far greater cost, I believe.

You can polish a t.Urd as much as you want, you can pour on more spin than Fred Flintstones best bowling arm... 

I will be amazed if the season is fully finished in the current climate

There is far too much that can go wrong and all of it is out of our control, we are not an "elite sport" and can be kicked to the kerb by the government in a heartbeat. 

We'll come back in October and assess the season.. Or what was 2021🤔

Archived