Coventry Bears

28 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

There are no Coventry-based amateur clubs at the minute after the Dragons collapsed. The clubs in the West Midlands would be Leamington Royals, Birmingham Bulldogs, North East Worcestershire Ravens and Telford Raiders. A Midlands league still exists. I think a West Midlands league wouldn't work particularly well with the strongest clubs in the Midlands league split geographically, with Birmingham and Leamington in the West, and Derby and Wolf Hunt in the East. 

Thanks. 

Hopefully the Midlands league will grow.

Maybe in the future if more teams are added it could split East and West below a Midlands premier

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/12/2020 at 23:33, OriginalMrC said:

As a Bears fan I can tell you there's no great secret to the Bears. The are a well run family club which does brilliantly with limited resources. They are not cash rich, and never have been, but they don't spend beyond their means which means that they aren't always competitive. However, they do punch above their weight due to having a clear vision, a good coaching set up, and players that buy into the philosophy. That's not to say they are not ambitious, just realistic and building slowly over time. Each year in the league has been a learning curve but they've got better each year and this year's squad is shaping up to be the best one they've ever had. 

Another thing in their favour is that, while they don't have a huge fan base, they do have a consistent core of fans who come to every game. They average 500 at home games but a large percentage are season ticket holders, and many also buy merch each year (which incidentally is always good) . Additionally they have a good set of very good volunteers which mean that Alan and family can concentrate on improving and making the club better. 

Finally Alan himself has said many times that the step up to the NCL was a massive part of the journey. The club learned what it needed to do to be competitive against heartland teams, and what it means to manage limited resources.

The future looks bright in terms of the community set up with funding for 4 new clubs in the coventry area. While reduced funding following the new TV deal might be an issue I'm confident that the adaptability shown by the club so far will see them in good stead. The plans to deal with covid are evidence of that. 

Are you the gentleman from Coventry on this week’s Forty20 podcast @OriginalMrC? If so, just to let you know I enjoyed listening to the interview. 

They have use of a stadium which is of Championship standard.That is a huge plus.

And no doubt being on their own gives them a free run in the West Midlands region.

I also believe they are prudent and not silly with money and build from the bottom upwards.

I can see them doing something very similar to Newcastle,who have done very well in their part of the world.

11 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

They have use of a stadium which is of Championship standard.That is a huge plus.

And no doubt being on their own gives them a free run in the West Midlands region.

I also believe they are prudent and not silly with money and build from the bottom upwards.

I can see them doing something very similar to Newcastle,who have done very well in their part of the world.

Aren't there about a dozen amateur clubs in and around Newcastle now? Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there is not a single one in Coventry at the moment, which I find a bit worrying. (Not trying to be negative, it just seems way off the mark comparing them to Newcastle)

On 23/12/2020 at 19:38, Mr Plow said:

They’re a good sustainable club Coventry. Hopefully they can follow Newcastle Thunder at being a well established club outside of the heartlands. 

I think in the UK we should be focusing on Newcastle and Coventry as key expansion locations

Totally agree, and then fill in the gaps in between such as Birmingham, Derby, Leicester, Nottingham, Darlington and would the big Garrison towns be worth a look at in the near future.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

22 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Totally agree, and then fill in the gaps in between such as Birmingham, Derby, Leicester, Nottingham, Darlington and would the big Garrison towns be worth a look at in the near future.

Yeah Coventry is a good base for the midlands and a halfway mark between the heartlands and London. Newcastle is perfectly situated close to Yorkshire and Cumbria

29 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Who would fill in these gaps, the RFL can’t do it? 

44 minutes ago, langpark said:

Aren't there about a dozen amateur clubs in and around Newcastle now? Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there is not a single one in Coventry at the moment, which I find a bit worrying. (Not trying to be negative, it just seems way off the mark comparing them to Newcastle)

They have been raising money for, and have received WC funding towards three new Community clubs in the area I believe. Agree there is no reason to compare them to Newcastle mind you, that’s just forum talk, they’re completely different other than being a club outside of the heartlands. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2020 at 14:09, Eddie said:

Who would fill in these gaps, the RFL can’t do it? 

RFL could and can do school & amateur development, the question is, how long will/would they do it for, Rome wasn't built in a day.

On 27/12/2020 at 14:03, Mr Plow said:

Yeah Coventry is a good base for the midlands and a halfway mark between the heartlands and London. Newcastle is perfectly situated close to Yorkshire and Cumbria

Coventry is actually 20 miles closer to me than Newcastle.

1 hour ago, newbe said:

Gone into a black hole,  could they name the community clubs were the money went?

How do you know it has gone?

The talks continue with our community partners who will be announced when the talks have been completed.

The money is there to be used when the new community clubs are up and running and when some sort of normality is resumed.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 06/01/2021 at 10:07, newbe said:

Gone into a black hole,  could they name the community clubs were the money went?

Why are you talking through your backside?! The grant has only just been awarded and in case you hadnt noticed there has been a global pandemic. Hardly therefore an ideal time to set up a new community club. Everything will be worked out in due course. I suggest therefore you take back your baseless accusation and apologise 

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2021 at 08:40, RoverBear said:

Where is all this money at the club and how do I get some? Is there a hidden room somewhere at the BPA which has gold toilet seats and champagne after every try? 

Your silence is deafening.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

In term of the West Midlands: There's also the Droitwich Spa.... sorry I meant Worcester,... or possibly Birminham Jaguars. Yet to play a game but appear very organised and playing at great facilities and an existing under age setup.

They are pretty strong on the media side. I'm sure someone on here is involved in the Jaguars and can provide an update on what they are about and their plans.?

Archived