Wakefield Trinity plans submision

11 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

All representing the same city, Cas and Wakefield are two different places. Besides, I can't thinking a successful English example. Wimbledon and Cystal Palace springs to mind but that ended up with one club been killed and reincarnated.

Charlton and Crystal Palace

Charlton and West Ham

Brighton and Gillingham

Birmingham and Coventry will be sharing for the foreseeable future

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

My money would be on they will still be where they now in 4 years time.

Except if they still are then financially they are probably one step from meltdown, there’s no way they can keep the crumbling ruin safe without spending big time on upkeep, which will seriously impact the viability of the club. They may have skirted around things 20 years ago, now they know they have to do something to safeguard their future and are not messing around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Charlton and West Ham

Brighton and Gillingham

Not permanent shares though? If somehow Wakey and Cas did share then it would be permanent and I suspect that won’t end well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

All representing the same city, Cas and Wakefield are two different places. Besides, I can't thinking a successful English example. Wimbledon and Cystal Palace springs to mind but that ended up with one club been killed and reincarnated.

Castleford is in metropolitan borough of Wakefield.

14 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Like Inter and AC Milan and Roma and Lazio and Samdoria and Genoa have done, oh hang on.

All 6 of those examples are for the same city and crucially conurbation.

13 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Charlton and West Ham

Brighton and Gillingham

The top 3 were all temporary till they got their own ground and the final example is a joke. Coventry want to be playing in Coventry and will wither if they are at St Andrews long term.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Castleford is in metropolitan borough of Wakefield.

And they're all part of the West Yorkshire Local authority, lets have them all play at Headingley. 

Joking aside, that is as reasonable for Cas fans as playing in Wakefield would be and vice versa.

On 19/01/2021 at 08:44, cookey said:

Unfortunately,in todays world,it's a lot about perception.

If you were a major sponsor or broadcaster,would you want your name associated with semi derelict grounds,which frankly haven't seen any investment for 50 yrs and weren't suitable then.

Absolutely true, but it goes deeper than that. I've told this story before on here I think but a few years back I was involved in trying to get a multi-multimillion pound household name sponsor to invest in rugby league - and crucially a sponsor that's right for the demographic. Clearly given what follows below I won't name them...

They weren't buying it at all - we tried all the arguments about fit with business - knocked back because apparently lower socio economic group males and families are in the bag already

Really good grounds - showed them Wembley, Headingley, Wigan, Saints - still not buying it

When it came down to it they finally said that despite their business being perfect for RL they'd be much more comfortable sponsoring something aspirational, or going to hospitality at football ('everyone likes football, cricket, tennis, or RU') - they objected to the people that watch RL - happy to sell to them, don't want to mix with them or be associated with them... Crucially also felt that they would be judged negatively by their own clients and suppliers if they invited them to come to corporate jollies at RL - it was 'right up there with greyhound racing' and further stymied by 'not having a national footprint'

Not a lot you can say to that but it was an eyeopener.

Personally I think it was both shortsighted and distasteful but it happened. BTW, as an aside, they then did pump a load of money into another sport (and not RU, so it's not as bad as it could have been).

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

And they're all part of the West Yorkshire Local authority, lets have them all play at Headingley. 

Joking aside, that is as reasonable for Cas fans as playing in Wakefield would be and vice versa.

Lets put it this way IF Super league goes down to 10 teams Wakey and Cas with their dump of grounds would be the odds on favourites to be cut, and let's be honest it can only be a matter of time before both clubs fail to get a health and safety certificate and imagine how embarrassing that would be for Rugby League in this country if and when that happens. Time is not on either clubs side and you know that.

17 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Lets put it this way IF Super league goes down to 10 teams Wakey and Cas with their dump of grounds would be the odds on favourites to be cut

We wouldn't want 3 teams from the local area in the Championship. What would that bring to the game?

• Like 1

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

9 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

We wouldn't want 3 teams from the local area in the Championship. What would that bring to the game?

That won't happen if as i suspect if their grounds fail to get a health and safety certificate  in the near future there wont be any Rugby League played on them and both clubs have only themselves to blame. Always looking for excuses as to why they couldn't modernise their grounds, and as the they goes "You reap what sow"

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Lets put it this way IF Super league goes down to 10 teams Wakey and Cas with their dump of grounds would be the odds on favourites to be cut, and let's be honest it can only be a matter of time before both clubs fail to get a health and safety certificate and imagine how embarrassing that would be for Rugby League in this country if and when that happens. Time is not on either clubs side and you know that.

I agree wholeheartedly, but still won't advocate both teams sharing a ground that would either be out of town for one of them or an out of town white-elephant for both of them.

17 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

That won't happen if as i suspect if their grounds fail to get a health and safety certificate  in the near future there wont be any Rugby League played on them and both clubs have only themselves to blame. Always looking for excuses as to why they couldn't modernise their grounds, and as the they goes "You reap what sow"

You really need to let go kid.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree wholeheartedly, but still won't advocate both teams sharing a ground that would either be out of town for one of them or an out of town white-elephant for both of them.

The ball is in both clubs court as regards grounds.

One things for sure and that is something needs to be done and quickly

On 17/01/2021 at 15:28, sentoffagain2 said:

New ground shared with Cas would be the best option.Or both clubs will be throwing money at trying to improve outdated stadiums.1980 Trinity chairman Trevor Woodward said we are in the wrong place,with antiquated facilities in a built up area.Apart from the traffic problem the site is best cleared and used for social housing subject to planning.Life of council house 80 to 100 years .Development paid for at 5g a year rent after 20yrs then the council has profit coming in from the remaining rental period 60/80yrs its a no brainer.

Thanks for the words of wisdom this was planned at the old pit site at Sharlston but was binned by the council like all other applications.

9 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The ball is in both clubs court as regards grounds.

One things for sure and that is something needs to be done and quickly

Absolutely, but as virtually every example outside only a couple of Premier League football grounds show, local council support for any club initiative is vitally important as regards grounds. This is especially true in Rugby League. This proposal from Wakefield is the first to ever receive this.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, but as virtually every example outside only a couple of Premier League football grounds show, local council support for any club initiative is vitally important as regards grounds. This is especially true in Rugby League. This proposal from Wakefield is the first to ever receive this.

Like i have said earlier i hope it comes off for them if they are serious, but time will tell.

I'm still not convinced

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Any artists impressions available yet to view?

If you are going to join in, at least get up to date with the discussion.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Like i have said earlier i hope it comes off for them if they are serious, but time will tell.

I'm still not convinced

I empathise that entirely and also think its worth pointing out/reminding everyone that, even with this new main stand, Belle Vue will still be by far the worst ground in the League (bar Cas). Which is why I hope they have future development plans in the back of their minds with this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I empathise that entirely and also think its worth pointing out/reminding everyone that, even with this new main stand, Belle Vue will still be by far the worst ground in the League (bar Cas). Which is why I hope they have future development plans in the back of their minds with this.

There has to be, but the reason behind the other non-starter projects will be the deciding factor with future development. 

The funding for the main stand and refurbishment of other parts is coming from the planning gain at Newmarket, where the next lump sum of cash is coming to pay for the western side of the ground isn't exactly obvious. Belle Vue will hopefully have one excellent stand, another refurbish large terrace, a hospitality block which bring in a fair chunk of revenue even if they look a bit shabby, leaving the eyesore that the camera is sat atop. At least on tv it will look passable.

2 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

There has to be, but the reason behind the other non-starter projects will be the deciding factor with future development. 

The funding for the main stand and refurbishment of other parts is coming from the planning gain at Newmarket, where the next lump sum of cash is coming to pay for the western side of the ground isn't exactly obvious. Belle Vue will hopefully have one excellent stand, another refurbish large terrace, a hospitality block which bring in a fair chunk of revenue even if they look a bit shabby, leaving the eyesore that the camera is sat atop. At least on tv it will look passable.

True, I think put earlier in this thread that I hope the plans for the new East stand incorporate future development by potentially allowing more space to be created on the western side for example.

I was under the impression (perhaps from my own imagination) that the Southern corporate bit would be coming down as the East stand would have facilities to supercede it?