Wakefield Trinity plans submision

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The two football clubs I mentioned who could come in with their first teams, Wakefield AFC and Ossett United, play at level 10 and level 8 of the Football pyramid respectively. The latter draw decent enough crowds for that level so I am informed, but I can't see them wanting to abandon their own home. The former would be an obvious choice, and there are existing links between the clubs, but whether they could ever draw the kind of income Carter is on about is unlikely.

Yes Tommy you sum it up nicely, it all sounds a good idea until you explore the options.

Wakefield FC, been there done it and were a financial liability so unless they get a wealthy owner with high ambitions they are a non runner.

Ossett could have more potential but they have a nice little ground but the capacity is only 1900. It's in a part of Ossett that's hard to imagine it could be expanded much further, but on the plus it is probably a very valuable bit or real estate. So unless Ossett have plans to climb into much higher leagues ,I can't see a benefit to them moving and paying rent etc.

One final point, not long back Wakefield suggested moving to Dewsbury and the ground itself is only about 50 yards outside Ossett. Many Trinity fans were in uproar about this, so Its more than likely Ossett United fans would be against a move in the opposite direction.

I only commented because that what it said on the ' report ' , excellent news it's a hybrid , the best value they can get out of that will be a PL/Championship reserves or Ladies team/s , that's what happened at the LSV 

Sam Allardyce when manager at Blackburn wanted his reserves to play in a proper stadium environment , and on a quality pitch , so they started using the LSV , they played Man UTD reserves there and they were impressed enough to also start using it , Blackburn have now moved on , probably due to cost and the Utd Ladies team is totally based at the LSV now , that may well change if they decide to buy/build a dedicated stadium complex in the future 

That's where the money could be for Wakey 

I look forward to visiting Belle Vue 

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They (AFC) say not. Or they were saying that earlier in 2022 anyway.

Their plan seems to be either they build their own facility (which they have no money for) or they carry on playing at Fev.

Seems very strange that a club named Wakefield have never actually played or are nowhere near to playing a game in Wakefield when there is a facility there where a previous team called Wakefield played!

17 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Seems very strange that a club named Wakefield have never actually played or are nowhere near to playing a game in Wakefield when there is a facility there where a previous team called Wakefield played!

Depends what the financials are , plus that pitch at Fev must make for a fun game of footy 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Weren't they originally based in Barnsley?  No idea why they decided to take the name of Wakefield.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

6 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes Tommy you sum it up nicely, it all sounds a good idea until you explore the options.

Wakefield FC, been there done it and were a financial liability so unless they get a wealthy owner with high ambitions they are a non runner.

Ossett could have more potential but they have a nice little ground but the capacity is only 1900. It's in a part of Ossett that's hard to imagine it could be expanded much further, but on the plus it is probably a very valuable bit or real estate. So unless Ossett have plans to climb into much higher leagues ,I can't see a benefit to them moving and paying rent etc.

One final point, not long back Wakefield suggested moving to Dewsbury and the ground itself is only about 50 yards outside Ossett. Many Trinity fans were in uproar about this, so Its more than likely Ossett United fans would be against a move in the opposite direction.

Absolutely zero chance of Ossett moving to Belle Vue so we can forget about that one. And from what i understand Wakefield AFC are a financial basket case so that isn’t likely a goer either. Best hope as has been said is either a bigger football clubs reserve team or Womens team but i’m bot sure if any are currently looking. 

10 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Totally agree.

I suppose with Wakefield AFC is that you don't have to be "that" wealthy an owner to see a team fly up the pyramid from the level they are at to a pretty decent standard. As I said the links are there, if only small.

Totally agree re Ossett. They are staying put unless they are made to move because of League requirements.

The viability of the reserves and Ladies team options for larger clubs vary massively. Getting LUFC away from York would be an incredible coup, but unlikely by the same token. 

Other sports? In RL all moves are unlikely given the ownership arrangements of everyone's ground. Same with local RU, unless Sandal go up the leagues totally unexpectedly with a lot of money the don't care about losing!

7 hours ago, daz39 said:

I've been watching non league too long. It seems pretty standard to me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I've been watching non league too long. It seems pretty standard to me.

Quite right, there's been a number of non league teams in Hull over the years and they've all spent their existance moving from ground to ground, year on year in the wider area, not necessarily within the city itself. 

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

So to summarise so far, Carter could be whistling in the wind with this idea.

The problem you have if it's a non League team much like when we see a non heartland RL club ( London even ) that they'll start playing games but only getting a % of ticket sales and no or hardly any secondary sales , it just ends up pricing themselves out , that's why I said PL or Championship as in the greater scheme of things it's peanuts and a fixed cost to them 

On 09/01/2021 at 00:53, Oldbear said:

You see this is what I don’t understand about the comments made by some of the games so called fans. If we are being realistic here what would Wakefield have to gain by even wanting to remain in a sub standard stadium r other supermarket riding to the rescue and no cheap council land with unblocked planning permission then I’m not sure what other alternatives were open to them apart from what they are trying. Building new facilities without some major outside help is nearly impossible

Best post for me.

No point in Wakefield and Castleford bothering once the game breaks out of the M62 and across the country and over to new continents........

Until then they are clubs with a decent element of player development and spectators. They are assets to the Superleague and improving their stadia as far as they can is a nice boost for Superleague and great for the fans except those who somehow expect them to be building new stadia.

This dates back to when IIRC the local council  took the view they could not back one stadium development without backing the other two. If Rugby League doing it's best  in tough circumstances isn't good enough, critics can always go watch soccer.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve oates said:

Best post for me.

No point in Wakefield and Castleford bothering once the game breaks out of the M62 and across the country and over to new continents........

Until then they are clubs with a decent element of player development and spectators. They are assets to the Superleague and improving their stadia as far as they can is a nice boost for Superleague and great for the fans except those who somehow expect them to be building new stadia.

This dates back to when IIRC the local council  took the view they could not back one stadium development without backing the other two. If Rugby League doing it's best  in tough circumstances isn't good enough, critics can always go watch soccer.....

Every sympathy with Wakey and CAS , but both stadiums should not have been licenced into SL , not ' fair ' I know , but that's the way it was supposed to work , not fair that the criteria to enter SL was different to those already in it 

Hopefully both will be able to get something sorted 

On 05/01/2023 at 19:30, Agbrigg said:

I love it when Trinity fans think they are in the know when they are not.

Ditto Cubby and his lack of knowledge regarding hybrid pitches. 

Agbrigg you’re about to look a bit silly and probably by tomorrow. Bad luck to you and a few others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Every sympathy with Wakey and CAS , but both stadiums should not have been licenced into SL , not ' fair ' I know , but that's the way it was supposed to work , not fair that the criteria to enter SL was different to those already in it 

Hopefully both will be able to get something sorted 

I’ll catch those crocodile tears for you, though I’m sure they taste bitter.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

They are still quite far down the football pyramid, however their inclusion may open up football grants to redevelop the Western terrace.

Be a while before that was likely, think they would need to buy into BV to do that. A 20% share in the stadium via shares in The spirit of 1873 company would cost them about 2 million. The new East stand and the ground and other bits and bobs gives a capitol assets of approx 11 million. In real life it’s not worth that but on a ledger it is.

if that happens then you probably get a new west terrace or stand.

If that happens it will be when or if they renew in 2025.

19 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

That’s more likely when they refurb the dug outs 😀