Leigh's new signing announced today is......

15 hours ago, Damien said:

Tierney is an average player. Catalans can surely replace someone like that with a French player.

He had an amazing game in the MPG for Catalans at Leigh which I am sure has stuck in the minds of the coaching staff there. He is a reliable and 100% player. Not game-breaker but is a local lad to the area. Solid pick up.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scubby said:

He had an amazing game in the MPG for Catalans at Leigh which I am sure has stuck in the minds of the coaching staff there. He is a reliable and 100% player. Not game-breaker but is a local lad to the area. Solid pick up.

If we are to stay up, it will take an approach similar to Watson at Salford i.e. getting a team of cast offs with points to prove to be more than the sum of their parts. Tierney is the perfect kind of player for that. 

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

If we are to stay up, it will take an approach similar to Watson at Salford i.e. getting a team of cast offs with points to prove to be more than the sum of their parts. Tierney is the perfect kind of player for that. 

Hi Rob, I think that Paul Rowley was an important part of Watson's success, very coincidental that Salford's fortunes changed and their offense was so much improved when Rowley arrived there.

Would you consider, or more to the point would Mr Beaumont consider bringing him back, as an assistant to John Duffy?

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I’m just suggesting that Leigh should cast their net further afield and maybe even in uncharted waters.

Areas like bolton and Manchester could yield big returns in the future.

Have you ever tried fishing in a swimming pool ?

58 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Rob, I think that Paul Rowley was an important part of Watson's success, very coincidental that Salford's fortunes changed and their offense was so much improved when Rowley arrived there.

Would you consider, or more to the point would Mr Beaumont consider bringing him back, as an assistant to John Duffy?

I'd have him back, whether Rowley himself would want to come back is another question though. I agree that he was the final piece of the coaching jigsaw for Salford though.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Me neither , but it probably explains your comment , there are no RL players in Bolton , or indeed Manchester 

That’s the whole point marra. Invest in schools rugby league programs in areas like bolton and Manchester alongside signing local lads.

You never know you could unearth a few rough diamonds.

7 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Unfortunately Toulouse aren’t in super league though.

All the toulouse players  want to go to SL . With toulouse : great city , great stadium, good coach, good way of life and strong  projet in the short time.... 

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Did you know that Wigan have just offered scholarships to 7 Leigh lads, whilst only 4 from Wigan.

Wigan do spread its wings.  They have recently added 2 scholarships from Whitehaven.  I'm guessing this happens with other clubs.

47 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

That’s the whole point marra. Invest in schools rugby league programs in areas like bolton and Manchester alongside signing local lads.

You never know you could unearth a few rough diamonds.

In 30 years maybe 

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Not really for example Identify a talented 12-13 year old from Manchester and bring him into the fold at Leigh playing for a local junior club before he’s eligible for the scholarship side at age 15 I believe.

Scholarship is at 12 , which Manchester club ?

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Didn't the Drummond brothers come from Bolton. 

Indeed they did , as I've pointed out on this board at least half a dozen times ( mostly on Toronto development threads ) See Drummond is the only player that has essentially come from a non Rugby background and ' converted ' to a top class player , he truly was a one off 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed they did , as I've pointed out on this board at least half a dozen times ( mostly on Toronto development threads ) See Drummond is the only player that has essentially come from a non Rugby background and ' converted ' to a top class player , he truly was a one off 

Jamed Graham? 

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Brian carney?

Just now, koli said:

His dad  is I think from Cumbria and an RL background and got James playing  as a kid.

Just putting to bed rl players have to come from a rugby area there is a long list of players who have played our sport from non rugby( I will class both codes as areas) playing areas, and clubs need to cast their nets wide to maximise their junior development. There are hundreds of areas close enough that will with time and effort produce players to put in the mix for all levels of the game. 

Archived