Jump to content

RLWC Advert


Johnoco
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was just watching Family Fortunes on ITV ( well, it was on anyway) when during a break on comes an advert for the 2021 RLWC.

I must say it looked pretty good and after I’d stopped choking on my cider, I had to admit it looked like a job well done and not only was it prime time TV, IMO, it would have prompted people to show a bit of interest. 

Good job whoever is responsible. 

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Think it's being shown a few times on various stations. Was ITV north though, and also being shown in Sky Sports Prem league I believe.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Think it's being shown a few times on various stations. Was ITV north though, and also being shown in Sky Sports Prem league I believe.

Even so, it looked pretty good and I can see it appealing to a few people not otherwise interested in RL. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I was just watching Family Fortunes on ITV ( well, it was on anyway) when during a break on comes an advert for the 2021 RLWC.

I must say it looked pretty good and after I’d stopped choking on my cider, I had to admit it looked like a job well done and not only was it prime time TV, IMO, it would have prompted people to show a bit of interest. 

Good job whoever is responsible. 

Which region is that, Yorks or Granada? I barely watch live tv these days and haven’t seen an advert for ages, but I’d be amazed to see it advertised on Anglia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Which region is that, Yorks or Granada? I barely watch live tv these days and haven’t seen an advert for ages, but I’d be amazed to see it advertised on Anglia. 

Presumably Yorkshire but since things like Yorkshire TV don’t exist anymore, I wasn’t sure if the regions still exist as such. Even if it was Yorkshire only, it might get a few people on board. OK it’s not FIFA WC but it looked like a reasonably big deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

He was a proper East End geezer as it goes. Took no nonsense, if people upset Max they tended to fall down stairs and walk into doors. 

If he`d had a twin, sounds like he could have suffered the indignity of being played in a film by two members of Spandau Ballet.

Somebody did a version of "You need hands" on the soundtrack of "The great rock `n` roll swindle". Don`t think it was Tenpole Tudor. Might have been Malcolm McLaren.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, unapologetic pedant said:

If he`d had a twin, sounds like he could have suffered the indignity of being played in a film by two members of Spandau Ballet.

Somebody did a version of "You need hands" on the soundtrack of "The great rock `n` roll swindle". Don`t think it was Tenpole Tudor. Might have been Malcolm McLaren.

It was McLaren indeed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If he`d had a twin, sounds like he could have suffered the indignity of being played in a film by two members of Spandau Ballet.

Somebody did a version of "You need hands" on the soundtrack of "The great rock `n` roll swindle". Don`t think it was Tenpole Tudor. Might have been Malcolm McLaren.

If he's had a twin sounds like he could have played in a film about about two of the members of Spandau Ballet... 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

If he's had a twin sounds like he could have played in a film about about two of the members of Spandau Ballet... 🙄

Leave Max to one side for a moment.

It`s sadly too late to happen, but I like your muddled thinking. Ronnie and Reggie in poncey new romantic clobber doing "To cut a long story short".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, unapologetic pedant said:

Leave Max to one side for a moment.

It`s sadly too late to happen, but I like your muddled thinking. Ronnie and Reggie in poncey new romantic clobber doing "To cut a long story short".

This much is true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

This much is true. 

That was my other option. No need to hog all the material. Generosity costs nothing.

BTW, I mentioned on another thread about age catching up. You`ve gone from Toxic Reasons to Family Fortunes in 36 years. I suppose it`s Boxing Day, then there`s Covid. I`m not accepting "choking on cider" as a mitigating circumstance though. The Wurzels drink, and probably choke, on cider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

That was my other option. No need to hog all the material. Generosity costs nothing.

BTW, I mentioned on another thread about age catching up. You`ve gone from Toxic Reasons to Family Fortunes in 36 years. I suppose it`s Boxing Day, then there`s Covid. I`m not accepting "choking on cider" as a mitigating circumstance though. The Wurzels drink, and probably choke, on cider.

Top band The Wurzels. Ooh arr etc etc

And as I actually did watch FF in the glory days of Monkhouse and Bygraves, that’s not so much age catching up as continuation. 
 

And if you’re trying to shame me, forget it. I was listening to- and laughing- at The Barron Knights earlier today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not booking anything at the moment, what with the current situation. Haven't even booked a holiday because you don't know whether you'll be able to go. When the situation becomes clearer I may have a look at it. God knows when that'll be. 

Edited by moorside roughyed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Presumably Yorkshire but since things like Yorkshire TV don’t exist anymore, I wasn’t sure if the regions still exist as such. Even if it was Yorkshire only, it might get a few people on board. OK it’s not FIFA WC but it looked like a reasonably big deal. 

They definitely still have regions and regional HQs, as well as local adverts. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Top band The Wurzels. Ooh arr etc etc

Thought this might be going wildly off topic last night so I left it. However - 

"I drove my tractor through your haystack last night. Ooh arr, Ooh arr". How did that get past the censors? I`m trusting your spelling of West Country mannerisms.

I have a nebulous memory of a late night TV advert in the early 90s for the premiership final which featured a group of players jumping into and driving a car to the sound of "The boys are back in town". Denis Betts was one of them. It looked as though Stones Bitter had paid for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Thought this might be going wildly off topic last night so I left it. However - 

"I drove my tractor through your haystack last night. Ooh arr, Ooh arr". How did that get past the censors? I`m trusting your spelling of West Country mannerisms.

I have a nebulous memory of a late night TV advert in the early 90s for the premiership final which featured a group of players jumping into and driving a car to the sound of "The boys are back in town". Denis Betts was one of them. It looked as though Stones Bitter had paid for it.

It’s absolutely miles off topic but as people aren’t busting a gut to post on here at the moment, I don’t see the harm.

I don’t think I was into RL then but that ‘Boys are back in town’ advert rings a bell. 
 

As for the Wurzels, any band that can go on Crackerjack and get a load of kids clapping along with ‘I am a cider drinker’ is ok by me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This seems bad timing when tickets are not on general sale.

The majority of the marketing budget should be spent online, with a link to click to get straight through to buying tickets.

Tickets were put back on Sale Boxing Day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Not booking anything at the moment, what with the current situation. Haven't even booked a holiday because you don't know whether you'll be able to go. When the situation becomes clearer I may have a look at it. God knows when that'll be. 

Agree, I'm usually one of the first to get tickets for RL events (Cc, England games etc) and in 2013 I booked up a load of tickets for 4 matches months in advance including the opening game. (then booked the semi final once England got there) but I'm not booking anything until at least the summer as no one has a clue how things will turn out.

Was going to book the opening ceremony game in Newcastle but will just wait now and see how things pan out. To be honest as a true RL fan and caring about the game more than my own needs, I would almost be willing to forfit attending the first game if it was sold out... that would be even better than going.

The other flip side is when booking any big RL even we all know there will be loads of discounted tickets later.

I saw this advert on ITV catch up about 2 months ago and was shocked but pleased but I'm hindsight they should hold them back until say the summer when we know how the Covid thing is shaping up.

Edited by Mr Frisky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...