1 minute they were there

4 hours ago, M j M said:

This is the world's worst recording but the first try in this video is still talked about by Leeds fans.

I remember listening to it on the radio and going nuts in our living room 🙂

(Strange BTW how a pixelated John Bentley still looks like John Bentley).

Why the hell isn't this film being digitised, remastered, or whatever the hell they do with old films to make them watchable.

He looks amazing and these are the kind of performances we should be shouting about from the rooftops.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

This.

What about Dale Cardoza too?

Chalk n cheese Chris. Belly was twice the player. More skill and pace in his little finger than cardoza. 

We all could see where Belly's weaknesses were....

He could have been as good as sam b

He really had everything and was way better than the good fev team he played in..... but... you know the rest

4 hours ago, Colin James said:

See that a lot, players who look like world beaters when they are playing junior level where they have a physical advantage often fail to repeat that when they aren't the biggest/fastest guy on the field.

That sounds like me at 11 😂

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Chalk n cheese Chris. Belly was twice the player. More skill and pace in his little finger than cardoza. 

We all could see where Belly's weaknesses were....

He could have been as good as sam b

He really had everything and was way better than the good fev team he played in..... but... you know the rest

In addition to this, what about Etu 😂

The way Poskitt built him up, he crashed so quickly.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I know an interesting/funny story about Dale and Leroy when they were at Leigh

Terrific anecdote. Peter Ustinov eat your heart out 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

The next minute they weren’t.

Whatever happened to the likes of Simon haughton, Dom peters, Leroy rivett and Michael worrincy etc who in some cases burst onto the scene only for there careers  to Peter out and vanish without a trace??

Thought this was going to be about Sunderland in the Premier league.....

10 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

The next minute they weren’t.

Whatever happened to the likes of Simon haughton, Dom peters, Leroy rivett and Michael worrincy etc who in some cases burst onto the scene only for there careers  to Peter out and vanish without a trace??

Leroy Rivett played a small amount of games for Huddersfield and Warrington, ended up on loan and (I think) had a short spell in France before Leigh, and then Hull KR. 

He finished his career at Rochdale in 2008/9.

5 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Leroy Rivett played a small amount of games for Huddersfield and Warrington, ended up on loan and (I think) had a short spell in France before Leigh, and then Hull KR. 

Twice at Leigh , nice lad Leroy 

21 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

As I said in another thread, Leroy's been through more clubs than a Canadian seal-hunter. Mostly in a downwards trajectory.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

44 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Yeah I just couldn't be arsed to write it ha...

😁

I recall him having good game against us for HKR in 2006 at ours , took a bit of verbals during the game , but I was with a few Leythers post match who had a chat and a laugh with him 

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

In regards to next big thing Ste Tyrer was pushed relentlessly on Sky and scored a few good tries for Saints but never really made it at SL but went on to have a fantastic championship career.

I forgot about him and you are right. I alluded to this earlier but Sky, in particular in the Eddie and Steve days, can't have helped the youngsters they hyped relentlessly. 

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Let’s be honest though, these alleged failures have achieved way more than we ever have. So let’s not get sniffy about it.

aye.... I'll agree with you in almost all cases. I was a sheeite second rower at Union and even worse prop at league.... and although I was/am as soft as sheeite, I never ever gave anything but my best.

Its when I see the likes of Belly.... who had everything I didn't have, but didn't want it enough.... that (kind of) deserves a "sniff" for me....

And I do acknowledge this reaction is as much about my own shortcomings as it is anyone that played pro

7 hours ago, Damien said:

He was also one of those players that didn't use his size and didn't try to bust a tackle, often slowing going into contact. He certainly didn't have the heart for the forwards.

6 hours ago, LeeF said:

Saw Karl Pryce a few times at Academy level and there was just something lacking - motivation? Commitment? Attitude?  I don’t know but he didn’t seem to use his physical attributes anywhere near enough

This is kinda my point.  Pryce was 6' 7" and over 19st and he was pretty fast and skilful with it.

But he didn't even close to achieving his potential. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

christian tyrer and daio powelll, both widnes) jason donaghue, leigh. I recall jason being given sine die because of a tackle made in a reserves match against swinton, last time I recall a sine die. Chris went on to sign for bath ru, then Keighley before becoming a policeman, Daio went to Oz,had a scrape with the law after his first match and ended up on cell block h.  All 3 great examples of what could have been

. Uninteresting fact. Daio had the word "Daio "tattooed on the inside of his bottom lip because his dad hated tattoos, so Daio, if you are reading this, parksider/john drake/ckn told me that

Archived