Selling The Drama

8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

We just don't have the same things as the NRL or anyone else has though, not even close. There's pretty much no recognisable players for a start.  RL in its popular areas in Australia gets coverage, profile, TV ratings that RL in England can only dream about. 

You may see it as historic teams battling for historic trophies (which is true) but most people aren't aware and don't care. This is why RL can't just sit back look at what others *don't* do, it is starting from a position of weakness.

The PL don't need to do any big announcement that the season is starting because many many people are all over it regardless. You don't start a band and just say 'oh well The Beatles aren't playing this crappy venue, so we won't' When you are not top dog you have to fight for scraps. This is the reality for RL.

If I had a pound for every time I've heard this.

What's your plan?

What are you suggesting we all do about it? Not celebrate? Not enjoy it? Not be proud of our great athletes? Not relish our great competitions? Not shout from the rooftops, about just how great our game really is?

Come on man. Get a grip.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes 

We can compare ourselves to anybody and everybody , it's a daily occurrence on here , what do we learn from all these comparisons ? , Basically we're too old a sport to set up from scratch again , and unfortunately we didn't do lots of the things other sports did a hundred years ago , but I don't see how anybody can blame those in charge now , for what did or didn't happen then , it's like somebody trying to make me feel guilty for slavery , or a German now for Hitler 

Bottom line is we need to find our own way upwards , just constantly comparing us to all and sundry is pointless , wasteful and indeed damaging , all IMO of course 

It would help to look at a league which has grown from basically nothing to a well attended competition despite not having thrilling on field action. All while we have stumbled. We could choose to learn from both our mistakes and the successes of others.

Please don't bring up Hitler or slavery, its silly.

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If , if doesn't solve your issues now , ' if ' has gone , it's in the past , reminds me of that crazy babboon out of Lion King , you can't live in the past , but you can learn from it , so what do we learn ?

Well, if we made the mistake of not putting enough emphasis on the international game in the past... can you work out what we should learn from that? 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It would help to look at a league which has grown from basically nothing to a well attended competition despite not having thrilling on field action. All while we have stumbled. We could choose to learn from both our mistakes and the successes of others.

RU has had a century of building it's International profiles , massive stadia , owned by the governing bodies creating income , all the while we were paying our money to the players , it's what we are , it's our history , it's our legacy , w were designed to be a professional sport , that century of amateurism has given them a base that we don't have , and are unlikely to ever get now , similarily the media in the UK has fawned over them in recent years 

All these things have happened , they've put us in a different position to them , I couldn't care less what RU does , or Football , or Gridiron , their positions ,bases , cultures are all different to ours 

So this constant comparison is pointless and tedious , we need to grow our game , all of it , human sacrifice was all the rage a couple of Millennia ago , but it won't work for us , we might have to take a step backwards before going forwards , as Scotchy has advocated , own our own broadcasting content , that might cost us our broadcasting deal , but it might be what we need to do 

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Enjoy it as much as you like old pal. Just don't expect anyone else to give a damn. 

Here's my point, I'm not sure I made it forcefully enough the first time. I'm hoping you have more to offer than just pointing out what's wrong. i'm hoping you might have some solutions? Otherwise, with fans like you, who needs enemies. 

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Only if you refrain from blaming RLs leaders a century ago for doing what they did , or worse still blaming the current administrators for what happened a century ago , because that is silly as well 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Only if you refrain from blaming RLs leaders a century ago for doing what they did , or worse still blaming the current administrators for what happened a century ago , because that is silly as well 

I mean please do find where I've ever done that 😂

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well, if we made the mistake of not putting enough emphasis on the international game in the past... can you work out what we should learn from that? 

As I posted earlier ( several times in recent days ) I thought we were getting somewhere with the 4 nation's , played alternatively in each Hemisphere with a qualifying comp held to decide who joins the big 3 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

RU has had a century of building it's International profiles , massive stadia , owned by the governing bodies creating income , all the while we were paying our money to the players , it's what we are , it's our history , it's our legacy , w were designed to be a professional sport , that century of amateurism has given them a base that we don't have , and are unlikely to ever get now , similarily the media in the UK has fawned over them in recent years 

All these things have happened , they've put us in a different position to them , I couldn't care less what RU does , or Football , or Gridiron , their positions ,bases , cultures are all different to ours 

So this constant comparison is pointless and tedious , we need to grow our game , all of it , human sacrifice was all the rage a couple of Millennia ago , but it won't work for us , we might have to take a step backwards before going forwards , as Scotchy has advocated , own our own broadcasting content , that might cost us our broadcasting deal , but it might be what we need to do 

The RU club game didn't though, which is what this comparison is being made for.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

As I posted earlier ( several times in recent days ) I thought we were getting somewhere with the 4 nation's , played alternatively in each Hemisphere with a qualifying comp held to decide who joins the big 3 

I agree. If we had kept that type of tournament up and then the World Cup every 4 years I think we would be in a much better place today. 

And I am also sure that we would have more players who were well known sportspeople in the country and the club game would have benefited from the higher profile... in particular if we had won one or two of the comps as international success breeds profile as we have seen over the years with the likes of field hockey, cycling etc.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The RU club game didn't though, which is what this comparison is being made for.

Indeed , but let's be sensible here , the RU club game is a massive succsses , it's not like they'd sell their souls to pay off massive debts running a competition that losses tens of millions a year ? 

Is it ?

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And I thought you were interested in the hard facts...

Ok , you haven't , so you are excused blame , but I'll be watching in the future 

So then it's not Tommy , but it is true of the rest of you , so stop it 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , but let's be sensible here , the RU club game is a massive succsses , it's not like they'd sell their souls to pay off massive debts running a competition that losses tens of millions a year ? 

Is it ?

Or be given over 4 times as much money by the government than RL is either 🤷 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree. If we had kept that type of tournament up and then the World Cup every 4 years I think we would be in a much better place today. 

And I am also sure that we would have more players who were well known sportspeople in the country and the club game would have benefited from the higher profile... in particular IF we had won one or two of the comps as international success breeds profile as we have seen over the years with the likes of field hockey, cycling etc.

That's that ' if ' again , not the first one , the second one 😁

That's that ' if ' again , not the first one , the second one 😁

Nothing wrong with saying 'if'. Thinking about mitigation and contingency is part of any planning exercise. 

Anyway, we would have been in a better position to win a tournament if we actually played them.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Nothing wrong with saying 'if'. Thinking about mitigation and contingency is part of any planning exercise. 

Anyway, we would have been in a better position to win a tournament if we actually played them.

True , so who pulled the plug ?

True , so who pulled the plug ?

It wasn't me. Promise.

Archived