Scotland RL

7 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Do you know if anything is being done, by the Lebanese International team (and management) to assist or promote development in Lebanon?

I think there was some talk of Lebanese residents being involved mostly in assistant coaching roles, probably just basically watching and learning.

I found this quote from November last year after the appointment of Micheal Cheika as WC Head Coach:

" Lebanese Rugby Football League President Assaad Feghali said:" We welcome the appointment as not only a positive outcome for the Cedar`s World Cup campaign but also the continuing improvement of the game in Lebanon. The opportunity to provide knowledge to assist Lebanon to further develop their well established local programmes will be well received among local stakeholders".

Cheika himself said that his aim was to bring the Lebanese diaspora around the world together with those in Lebanon to get behind the team and make the country very proud of their team.

Hopefully Irish the flame still flickers in Lebanon, a successful World Cup and a bit of stability and help might see them start to make strides forward again with their domestic game.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2021 at 22:59, 2blackrooks said:

Agree, I don't think they have a league. Saluzzo roosters were doing really well post covid in the French regionals,but I believe have gone back to playing union. National team relying on Australian heritage players, which makes them a strong (ish) team like Lebanon. I'm not having a go cos Scotland have relied on heritage players in the past but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. I always felt sad for France at the last WC getting beat by an 'Australian' Lebanon team (IMO)

Without meaning to sound too harsh my attitude to that is `get better and beat them next time`.

France with a domestic competition and literally thousands of player to choose from should take that as a slap in the face and a motivation to improve.

BTW I would love to see the  same sort of recognition that the French Government and the French Rugby League have given the Pacific Trieze development with Lebanese Rugby League. I believe it is a former colony and still maintain close ties.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Without meaning to sound too harsh my attitude to that is `get better and beat them next time`.

France with a domestic competition and literally thousands of player to choose from should take that as a slap in the face and a motivation to improve.

BTW I would love to see the  same sort of recognition that the French Government and the French Rugby League have given the Pacific Trieze development with Lebanese Rugby League. I believe it is a former colony and still maintain close ties.

Ok, we've gone waaaay off topic, but I just want to say, regarding Lebanon vs France, I clearly remember watching this match.  I was disappointed they did not have an English referee for this match.  Gerard Sutton, was very comfortable and on a nickname basis with most of the "Lebanese" (Aussie) players and was very much talking to them as though they were mates.  Whereas with the French, he was very "short" with them, who were already struggling with him a bit given the language barrier. It was a close game and I feel an English ref would have definitely been a more neutral option in this case.

France are going slow and steady and they will get better over time.  I know they are in a tough group with England and Samoa at the World Cup, but I do expect them to put up a hell of a fight. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

Back to Scottish RL scene 

Forth Valley announce another sponsor Rugby Tots 

https://www.rugbytots.co.uk/

Hopefully season will get underway soon, 

We are really looking forward to it and for this week every other day we will have a new sponsor announced. And then soon as all are announced we will get out a visual of our new kit for 2021 and 2022

• Like 6

Forth Valley accumulating 5 further sponsors over the past 7 days, not sure of the level of sponsorship but still an amazing feat by the team.

Hopefully a fixture list will appear soon.

No real news on if the other squads will be around for the new season Edinburgh have been posting on FB, Glasgow also on a couple of occasions, but no news from Strathmore or Fife. 

Hopefully the current situation hasn't forced them to collapse

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 2blackrooks said:

More positive movement on the RL team front, Aberdeen Warriors are resurrecting for the 2022 season and looking for players etc 

They indeed are. It would be great if Scotland can get several of these different teams, that have come and gone over the years, all coming together at the same time. A lack of games and teams to play is often the biggest issue.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

"A few clubs"? It certainly would be good. Massive in fact, given that there are 4 or 5 in the entire country until now.

Is this likely to happen? I haven't heard anything about it at all. 

Slow and steady. If all the current clubs / proposed clubs are able to play a full season, that will be huge progress and the best position Scotland has been in for years (or possibly ever?)

35 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Is Rugby League played at Universities in Scotland?

Not according to this map

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/map-of-every-rugby-league-club-in-the-uk/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

"A few clubs"? It certainly would be good. Massive in fact, given that there are 4 or 5 in the entire country until now.

Yeah it would be massive. It might not happen but hopefully the domestic game on Scotland continues to grow

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

92 posts togo.....

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

No. 

Would probably be a good starting point for the governing body though. Gaelic football used that route a few years ago, and it allows club teams to further grow out of the university set up.

Bring back Bev and John Risman, they were well aware of the potential of getting our young students involved.

They take the game all over the place with them.

Is there still an organisation called the Student Rugby League? If not, why, what happened to it?

A few University sides would add to the Scottish Club scene and like I said earlier, would spread the game far and wide when the students move on to work. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 1