Scotland RL

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Is there still an organisation called the Student Rugby League? If not, why, what happened to it?

It says here that there is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_and_College_Rugby_League - although the name has changed.

But that page hasn't been updated since 2015, at least not for the season summaries.

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It says here that there is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_and_College_Rugby_League - although the name has changed.

But that page hasn't been updated since 2015, at least not for the season summaries.

If RFL were really interested in development (at all) they wouldn't let this organisation wither on the vine.

Similarly with a commitment to keeping the game vibrant in the armed forces. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Bring back Bev and John Risman, they were well aware of the potential of getting our young students involved.

I remember John reffing one of the Scotland Students games I played in. Let's just say that instead of calling "Moooove" to the tackler, a barrage of expletives got the message across just as efficiently.

Am pretty sure we also slept on the seats of his pub in Cockermouth one night. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I remember John reffing one of the Scotland Students games I played in. Let's just say that instead of calling "Moooove" to the tackler, a barrage of expletives got the message across just as efficiently.

Am pretty sure we also slept on the seats of his pub in Cockermouth one night. 

Yes a real character.

He came to Aberavon (in the late eighties I think) with the Scottish Students.

We took him to a pub called the Bar Gallois, (pronounced Bar Gallwah) which is French for Welsh Bar.

He quickly christened it the Bar Gall eee ose.

We still call it that now.

Maybe they should get this guy to swap back to RL:

When, as anticipated, Lyndon Dykes belts out 'Flower of Scotland' as a Scotland footballer at this summer's rescheduled European Championships it will be a moment of pride for him and his family.

The capping of a remarkable rise from playing for fun in Australia, through a spell in Scottish football, on to the Championship with Queens Park Rangers and now featuring at a major international tournament.

Yet, it might have all been so different.

The sporty kid from Gold Coast was not always on this career trajectory.

He might instead have found himself lining up for Scotland in a different blue jersey at this autumn's Rugby League World Cup in England, having been a promising schoolboy player in his youth.

"You never know what might have happened had I stuck with rugby league," Dykes told the BBC Radio 5 Live Rugby League podcast.

"I would probably have been a bit bigger for starters, and had a broken nose here and there. But I loved it, I still love it, grew up playing it and enjoyed every moment."

Lyndon Dykes: QPR's rugby league talent turned Scotland football hero - BBC Sport

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 16:57, Damien said:

Maybe they should get this guy to swap back to RL:

When, as anticipated, Lyndon Dykes belts out 'Flower of Scotland' as a Scotland footballer at this summer's rescheduled European Championships it will be a moment of pride for him and his family.

The capping of a remarkable rise from playing for fun in Australia, through a spell in Scottish football, on to the Championship with Queens Park Rangers and now featuring at a major international tournament.

Yet, it might have all been so different.

The sporty kid from Gold Coast was not always on this career trajectory.

He might instead have found himself lining up for Scotland in a different blue jersey at this autumn's Rugby League World Cup in England, having been a promising schoolboy player in his youth.

"You never know what might have happened had I stuck with rugby league," Dykes told the BBC Radio 5 Live Rugby League podcast.

"I would probably have been a bit bigger for starters, and had a broken nose here and there. But I loved it, I still love it, grew up playing it and enjoyed every moment."

Lyndon Dykes: QPR's rugby league talent turned Scotland football hero - BBC Sport

Hopefully RLWC Towers have taken note and he is used in the promotion ahead of the games at Newcastle

On 03/03/2021 at 14:53, Damien said:

Yeah. I'd never heard of him but he seems like a huge RL fan.

He became a bit of a cult figure north of the border in light of the Euro 2021 qualification. Hopefully he has a good tournament and can maintain that attention and we can use that to our advantage in convincing a few of the Tartan Army to travel down as a different angle to hoping for RU fans from the Borders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

He became a bit of a cult figure north of the border in light of the Euro 2021 qualification. Hopefully he has a good tournament and can maintain that attention and we can use that to our advantage in convincing a few of the Tartan Army to travel down as a different angle to hoping for RU fans from the Borders.

I love your optimism that an Aussie who plays football for Scotland can persuade loads of Scots to come to England for the RLWC, but it’s worth a go. Playing one of their games in Edinburgh might have been a good idea too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I love your optimism that an Aussie who plays football for Scotland can persuade loads of Scots to come to England for the RLWC, but it’s worth a go. Playing one of their games in Edinburgh might have been a good idea too. 

Raises interest and adds credibility to a fan base who will have little or nothing to do with RU. Can only be an advantage.

Playing a game in Edinburgh, while a nice idea, would have presumably meant a reduction in the Northern Powerhouse funding for the tournament so wasn't ever likely.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

13 of them. While I’d love to see the game grow in a Scotland I can’t get excited about 13 English blokes with Scottish parents or grandparents making a team for a WC. 

Your obviously not a Republic of Ireland Football fan then if that doesn't excite you......

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

13 of them. While I’d love to see the game grow in a Scotland I can’t get excited about 13 English blokes with Scottish parents or grandparents making a team for a WC. 

Unfortunately it's the way it is at the moment but no great deal. It's the best we can hope for with next to no funding.

Just look at other sports it happens all the time, England RU Vinipola, Sam Underhill all non natives even George North was born in Kings Lynn

The Kiwi's have plunderd the Pacific Islands for years.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are you as dismissive about the Pacific teams? 

15 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

Unfortunately it's the way it is at the moment but no great deal. It's the best we can hope for with next to no funding.

Just look at other sports it happens all the time, England RU Vinipola, Sam Underhill all non natives even George North was born in Kings Lynn

The Kiwi's have plunderd the Pacific Islands for years.

Kings Lynn? 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are you as dismissive about the Pacific teams? 

No, firstly a fair number of their international teams are born on the islands, and secondly they’re choosing to play for the island of their heritage ahead of Australia. 

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, firstly a fair number of their international teams are born on the islands, and secondly they’re choosing to play for the island of their heritage ahead of Australia. 

I went through the list of players on the Tonga RL wiki. Well, I stopped after clicking 33 players and all but one were born in Aus or NZ. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I went through the list of players on the Tonga RL wiki. Well, I stopped after clicking 33 players and all but one were born in Aus or NZ. 

I don’t know where they were all born, or even who they all are, but I think a fair few of the Fijians and possibly Samoan team are born there. However as I said they are choosing to play for Tonga, they feel Tongan. I really doubt many, if any, of the Scottish team feel like that, or would choose Scotland over England. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know where they were all born, or even who they all are, but I think a fair few of the Fijians and possibly Samoan team are born there. However as I said they are choosing to play for Tonga, they feel Tongan. I really doubt many, if any, of the Scottish team feel like that, or would choose Scotland over England. 

It's not for you to say that though. You can't possibly know each player's motivation, either those playing for Scotland or Tonga. I fail to see any difference between the two situations personally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It's not for you to say that though. You can't possibly know each player's motivation, either those playing for Scotland or Tonga. I fail to see any difference between the two situations personally.

There’s a massive difference as far as I can see, but happy to agree to differ. 

• Like 1