Scotland RL

It's great to see the Edinburgh Eagles actively seeking additional games to play and for the North East Rugby League to help accommodate them.

Also great to see that newcomers, the Forth Valley Vikings, have already launched a juniors program for ages 13 - 18 as well.

• Like 7

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

• 2 weeks later...

Forth Valley Vikings played our first league fixture yesterday losing 70-28 away to Strathmore Silverbacks. I wasn't there (unfortunately my season ended before it began with a broken wrist in training 😬) but apparently there were plenty of positives against good opposition. 5 tries scored shows we can cause problems with the ball. Defending in league is obviously very tough when you aren't used to getting back the 10 etc. It'll come though.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, 2blackrooks said:

24th October at Featherstone
Scotland v Jamaica 3pm 

The Frying Scotsman is going to be choking on his haggis at this announcement and venue...🤣🤣🤣🤣 - he hasn't spouted any RL negativity for over an hour so stand back and enjoy....

Rugby league fans however will just be pleased the games on.

Edited by Mr Frisky

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The Frying Scotsman is going to be choking on his haggis at this announcement and venue...🤣🤣🤣🤣 - he hasn't spouted any RL negativity for over an hour so stand back and enjoy....

Rugby league fans however will just be pleased the games on.

Weird that he mentioned Fev the other day when they’d never played there before, maybe he’s secretly the Chief Exec of Scottish RL. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not a fan of staging internationals in 3rd countries without a real reason to do so.

Would love to have seen Scotland playing in Scotland again. 

I agree with you in principle but all the players will be coming from Lancs and Yorks, so it makes sense to minimise their travel and accommodation costs, and get a decent crowd in. If it was played in Scotland they’d have to pay for hotels for a couple of nights at least, and the crowd would probably be smaller than at POR. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree with you in principle but all the players will be coming from Lancs and Yorks, so it makes sense to minimise their travel and accommodation costs, and get a decent crowd in. If it was played in Scotland they’d have to pay for hotels for a couple of nights at least, and the crowd would probably be smaller than at POR. 

So, and I don't have an answer here as I'm more thinking aloud, who, or what, is this game for then?

It's not in Jamaica, it's not in Scotland. It's not being played anywhere else notably connected with Jamaica or Scotland and everyone involved will be from Yorkshire or Lancashire.

I'm pleased it's going ahead but the fatalism that says we can't do anything more than the absolute bare minimum makes it very hard to be excited by it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

So, and I don't have an answer here as I'm more thinking aloud, who, or what, is this game for then?

It's not in Jamaica, it's not in Scotland. It's not being played anywhere else notably connected with Jamaica or Scotland and everyone involved will be from Yorkshire or Lancashire.

I'm pleased it's going ahead but the fatalism that says we can't do anything more than the absolute bare minimum makes it very hard to be excited by it.

And with it being played in a little town like Featherstone, no one outside Yorkshire or Lancashire will pay it any attention either, assuming they even hear about it that is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

But the problem with this is this will always be the case. We are either bothering with a Scotland team or we aren't. And that also goes for Jamaica. 

I don't like all these 'international teams' that are created in Australia that play in Sydney.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But the problem with this is this will always be the case. We are either bothering with a Scotland team or we aren't. And that also goes for Jamaica. 

I don't like all these 'international teams' that are created in Australia that play in Sydney.

Neither do I, and I’ve often said on this forum that the Scottish and Irish teams are pointless too (and get shot down for it). Jamaica are slightly different because they have a domestic quota and were going to have a minimum number of domestic players (4 iirc) in their WC squad, same with Greece. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Seems pointless and really misses a trick for Scotland. You’ve just fulfilled a domestic season. Why wouldn’t you host this? 

Because they haven’t got a pot to slash in and they’d have to pay accommodation and travel for 50 odd people, at least, and they’d get a small crowd to fund it. Unsatisfactory I know but if they get 3,000 at POR it will bring some revenue in at least and they probably won’t have to pay for hotels even. 

It’s classed as an away game for Scotland I know I’m pushing it but that area of Yorkshire has strong Scottish routes due to mining, many Scots moved their in the 80’s not that I’m saying they have any interest in a Scotland RL side, 

At least Scotland are playing an international that’s progress 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 2blackrooks said:

It’s classed as an away game for Scotland I know I’m pushing it but that area of Yorkshire has strong Scottish routes due to mining, many Scots moved their in the 80’s not that I’m saying they have any interest in a Scotland RL side, 

At least Scotland are playing an international that’s progress 

It's not really. 

I've watched Scotland play plenty games in Scotland. 

• Like 1